Centre Stand - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 5:37 am Thread Starter

Garage
Centre Stand

I understand early K-GT's had an issue with centre stands? Mine is a Spet 07 model and I've notived the stand arm is touching the floor, can't recall it being like that when I had it so OI'm now concerned it may be bending.

What's everyone else's like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 8:36 pm

Re: Centre Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by slparry
I understand early K-GT's had an issue with centre stands? Mine is a Spet 07 model and I've notived the stand arm is touching the floor, can't recall it being like that when I had it so OI'm now concerned it may be bending.
Here's a good post on the subject from a different board: http://www.bmwsuperbikes.com/forum/v...1a6f79d2d6736e

I think BMW is aware of the problem. The centerstand itself isn't bent, but the brackets that stop it from moving past vertical will bend, which leads to all kinds of bad things -- hard to get off the center, crack the fairing, etc.

Take it to a dealer and make them fix it.
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

The end of the stand arm on my late-version 2007 GT definitely touches the floor, but it looks like it was designed to do that.

The stand arm itself arches slightly from the base of the center stand to the end. At the end of the stand arm is small bent plate. The curve of the bent plate is the part that touches the floor. It all looks normal to me.

The GT center stand has never felt that strong, especially compared with the stand on the '86 Magna, which was rock solid. For example, the GT stand flexes when I set the handlebars left or right to lock them. In my opinion, it should be completely rigid, no matter what I do.

I will be at the dealer's tomorrow, and will look at their GT center stands.

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 5:22 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Well, mine bent further and further forward over time then finally broke completely, causing me to drop the bike. See this thread for pics. That was at 24K miles.

At 52K miles, it broke again, in the exact same place. It's really gonna suck if I have to replace this thing every 6-9 months.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 5:30 pm

Exclamation Re: Centre Stand

Quote:

Steve,
Here is a picture of my centre stand. The arm touches the ground. The GT is a very early 06 (#68 USA) build date of March 06. The stand and stops are original.
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5554.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	18756  
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 5:41 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Phew ... thanks for that Norris

Bit of a pain tho' as I'm about to paint the floor in my garage and the footplate on the stand is going to dig into the floor at every use, I'll have to get a foot square by 1/2" piece of plywood to rest the bike on I think.
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 9:00 pm

Quote:
Bit of a pain tho' as I'm about to paint the floor in my garage and the footplate on the stand is going to dig into the floor at every use, I'll have to get a foot square by 1/2" piece of plywood to rest the bike on I think.
I use a thick rubber mat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5555.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	18757  
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 12:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
The end of the stand arm on my late-version 2007 GT definitely touches the floor, but it looks like it was designed to do that.

The stand arm itself arches slightly from the base of the center stand to the end. At the end of the stand arm is small bent plate. The curve of the bent plate is the part that touches the floor. It all looks normal to me.

The GT center stand has never felt that strong, especially compared with the stand on the '86 Magna, which was rock solid. For example, the GT stand flexes when I set the handlebars left or right to lock them. In my opinion, it should be completely rigid, no matter what I do.

I will be at the dealer's tomorrow, and will look at their GT center stands.
There were four K1200GTs at the dealer's, all on their center stands. All were identical to my K1200GT, exactly as pictured by Norris.

There were small pieces of carpet underneath each center stand, to protect the floor. The center stand arms projected past the carpets, but floated just above the floor without touching it, even though the carpet was thin. That will solve your problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in