New Warranty Issues - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 8:22 am Thread Starter

New Warranty Issues

Don't know how many of you have run in to these yet, but thought that I would pass them along so you could be watchful for them. I have had/am having these items replaced under warranty, with 31k on my 06 GT.

-Fuel gauge sensor, a plastic/vinyl flexible strip that slides down into the fuel tank. Apparently they "film over" and need to be replaced. Symptom: gas gauge and miles to go function on BC inoperative.

-The "bike side" bracket of the center stand broke off. Symptom: Terrible noise as center stand suddenly was dragging on the pavement.

-New transmission being installed next week. Something about the 2nd/4th gear "dogs wearing prematurely". Symptom: Under hard acceleration, the bike jumps out of and then back into 2nd gear.

I am fortunate to have a very pro-active dealer and great German mechanic at the shop. All these items were replaced without hassle and the mechanic had seen the fuel strip and transmission issue before. He actually discovered the transmission issue on his test ride after fixing the first two items. Thank goodness I have 4500 miles left on my warranty. Can you say extended warranty needed!
At least my bike does not fall into the EWS recall range

06 GT "MitchRider" 55,XXX Miles of Smiles!
02 LT Semi-Retired & 155,XXX Miles of Great Memories
BBG, B2B, 100CCC, Four Corners, SS3000, SS5000

"Part of getting older is that you spend less time waiting for things and realize that road time is finite; one starts to relish every ride, every day now as a gift."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 12:53 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: New Warranty Issues

Interesting, Jeff, thanks for the update.

I haven't had any of those issues, although I have made quite good use out of my factory warranty.

- New front brake pads at 14K due to broken sensor wire.

- New center stand at 25K due to bent stops and broken off foot tab.

- New airbox at 36K due to hesitation.

- New clutch pack at 36K due to judder and noise.

- Another new center stand at 53K due to broken off foot tab (again).

- And the EWS antenna replacement at 53K, although I haven't had any issues here.

I can't wait to see what's next, and I'm sure glad I bought the 7-year unlimited mileage warranty when I picked up the bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 6th, 2008, 12:31 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_Rider
Don't know how many of you have run in to these yet, but thought that I would pass them along so you could be watchful for them. I have had/am having these items replaced under warranty, with 31k on my 06 GT.

-Fuel gauge sensor, a plastic/vinyl flexible strip that slides down into the fuel tank. Apparently they "film over" and need to be replaced. Symptom: gas gauge and miles to go function on BC inoperative.

-The "bike side" bracket of the center stand broke off. Symptom: Terrible noise as center stand suddenly was dragging on the pavement.

-New transmission being installed next week. Something about the 2nd/4th gear "dogs wearing prematurely". Symptom: Under hard acceleration, the bike jumps out of and then back into 2nd gear.

I am fortunate to have a very pro-active dealer and great German mechanic at the shop. All these items were replaced without hassle and the mechanic had seen the fuel strip and transmission issue before. He actually discovered the transmission issue on his test ride after fixing the first two items. Thank goodness I have 4500 miles left on my warranty. Can you say extended warranty needed!
At least my bike does not fall into the EWS recall range
I had a similar fuel gauge problem on my 08 GT and they replaced the film strip. It seems to work better now.

I only have 2 annoyances that I may have them look at. first is after a fill-up it takes over a minute for the BC to figure out the tank is full and reflect that in the gauge and miles till empty. The other is is the ambient temp gauge won't register updated temps for up to 5 minutes if it's gotten significantly warmer since I stopped the bike. Notice this commuting to work during some hot weather a few weeks ago. Got to work and it was 70, left and it was 95, but the temp gauge showed 68 for 5 minutes and then finally counted up to the correct temp. Saw this happen about 6 times over 4 days.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 6th, 2008, 12:55 am

Quote:
The other is is the ambient temp gauge won't register updated temps for up to 5 minutes if it's gotten significantly warmer since I stopped the bike.
Just started seeing this on my 07 RT.
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 6th, 2008, 9:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I had a similar fuel gauge problem on my 08 GT and they replaced the film strip. It seems to work better now.

I only have 2 annoyances that I may have them look at. first is after a fill-up it takes over a minute for the BC to figure out the tank is full and reflect that in the gauge and miles till empty. The other is is the ambient temp gauge won't register updated temps for up to 5 minutes if it's gotten significantly warmer since I stopped the bike. Notice this commuting to work during some hot weather a few weeks ago. Got to work and it was 70, left and it was 95, but the temp gauge showed 68 for 5 minutes and then finally counted up to the correct temp. Saw this happen about 6 times over 4 days.
My temp gauge is doing something similar. I park under a building, out of the sun and extreme heat. Every once in a while, the temperature gauge is frozen at a lower temperature for a while, and then it suddenly decides to start ticking up to the correct ambient temperature, about one degree F per second. It doesn't appear to be time related. Rather, it appears to be related to my speed. Once the speed picks up (e.g., merge onto the freeway), the thermometer starts moving to the right temperature.

The first time I saw it, I thought it was a glitch - perhaps a bit of dust or pollen blocking the temperature gauge opening. It was 28 April 2008, and the K1200GT was 10 months old. The outside temperature was 98 F, but the bike read 72 F until I entered the freeway. I mentioned it to the dealer when I brought the bike in for an airbox replacement the next morning, but the dealer didn't find anything. Since it happened only once, the night before, I wasn't concerned.

Now that I've seen it a few times (about four or five times), I'm not so sure it was a glitch. I ride every day, and it is very rare, but it happens. One time, it was early morning. The temperature read 64 F, but the ambient temperature was 70 F. As soon as I turned the corner and got out of the neighborhood (35 mph) the gauge did its one degree per second climb.
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 6th, 2008, 10:56 am
Super Moderator

When I've seem my temp gauge do this I'm on surface streets for about 2-3 minutes then freeway for a while before it starts moving in the same fashion you describe. 'm going in for the EWS ring recall on Tuesday, I think I'll ask them to take a look at this as well.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in