EWS Recall Info

I just have model/vin info
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	recall.jpg
Views:	3555
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	18536  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 2:34 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: EWS Recall Info

Excellent Jeff, thanks for the post. Mine falls in the range so I'll get it swapped out next week, assuming they have enough parts to go around.

While I was at the dealer a couple days ago an R12RT came in on a flatbed. Yep, it was the famous Engine Won't Start failure. The rider was in the middle of a long trip and not happy about being stranded but they promised to get him out that same day. Better than being stuck in remote Alaska, I guess.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 17 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 7:28 am Thread Starter
Bouncer

I'm lucky. Mine isn't listed. Maybe that's because I have one of the very first GTs that came out in 2006, before the late 2006/2007 update.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-

post #4 of 17 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 6:35 pm
Super Moderator

My 08 is on the list. I'll call and get that scheduled now!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #5 of 17 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 10:50 pm

Hey Guys:
Picked up my GT at the dealer today. The vin appears to be on the list posted on this web site. I was told by the service rep that there is no recall for this no start problem. If he was wrong I will return and verbally lash him to pieces. Probably not, I'll wimper a beg to have the GT fixed.....
post #6 of 17 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 10:14 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmc
Hey Guys:
Picked up my GT at the dealer today. The vin appears to be on the list posted on this web site. I was told by the service rep that there is no recall for this no start problem. If he was wrong I will return and verbally lash him to pieces. Probably not, I'll wimper a beg to have the GT fixed.....
No need to verbally lash him. I called my dealer yesterday and scheduled it and the service manager said, "Yep, I just opened the paperwork on this about an hour ago and was going to start reviewing the customer list to contact everyone. You're the first one to call so far." If he still claims ignorance by the middle of the week a poke with a sharp stick may be in order

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #7 of 17 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 10:24 am

oddly enough, I apparantly have a pro-active dealer. They told me about a month ago to bring the bike in for the EWS ring swap. I said I could wait until my next major scheduled maint. point (tomorrow). Thats sweet, a dealer that keeps em in stock and tells you theyll do it w/o any issue and or ignorance.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #8 of 17 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 2:06 pm

My GT (08, manufactured in early Feb 08), wasn't on this list.

but - bike went in for its 12k service and it was showing as needing a repalcement on the UK list, so it was swapped out.

Its also back to mineral oil after burning some between the 6 and 12.
post #9 of 17 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 2:53 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall
My GT (08, manufactured in early Feb 08), wasn't on this list.
The list posted at the top of this thread is probably a US-only list. If they took care of yours locally than all is good.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 17 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 3:04 pm

Interesting that I ran into this thread today. My 2007 GT is in getting its 6K service and a few other things done. The dealer called me and said it would be a few hours longer than they had thought due to the EWS update being done. I hope it doesn't create a problem....I never had issue with the old one!

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #11 of 17 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 3:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBMW
Interesting that I ran into this thread today. My 2007 GT is in getting its 6K service and a few other things done. The dealer called me and said it would be a few hours longer than they had thought due to the EWS update being done. I hope it doesn't create a problem....I never had issue with the old one!
My first failure wasn't until after the 6K service. There's no warning. The bike's running fine, you stop, and turn off the bike. You come back however long later, and try to restart--EWS error.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin -ó but making great time.
post #12 of 17 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 3:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlash
My first failure wasn't until after the 6K service. There's no warning. The bike's running fine, you stop, and turn off the bike. You come back however long later, and try to restart--EWS error.
Yep, honestly I am glad its getting done. I have an early '07 GT (built December 2006). I'm leaving on a road trip this coming Tuesday from Denver to the Tetons, Yellowstone, Beartooth, Cody and into Gillette, WY for the MOA National Rally.

It will likely be hot which is when most have experienced the other problem associated with early GT's....high idle and other airbox issues. I still have the "old" airbox and haven't had any issues up to now....so I will stay optimistic and hope for the best!

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #13 of 17 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 9:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBMW
Yep, honestly I am glad its getting done. I have an early '07 GT (built December 2006). I'm leaving on a road trip this coming Tuesday from Denver to the Tetons, Yellowstone, Beartooth, Cody and into Gillette, WY for the MOA National Rally.

It will likely be hot which is when most have experienced the other problem associated with early GT's....high idle and other airbox issues. I still have the "old" airbox and haven't had any issues up to now....so I will stay optimistic and hope for the best!
Our GTs may darn near be twins, Mike. I have a í07 Graphite Gray, probably a late í06 build too.

Iíll be on a ride myself up that way later this month. Iím doing a loop through Oregon, Idaho, and into Montana for a BK convention. Then back out through southern Idaho, and through Nevada to get home. Maybe 3.5K or so. Although, the truth be told, Iím hedging my bet, and Iím taking my old RT. Not just because I want to wait a bit longer to see if the Ď247 part really is the final answer (although thatís part of it). But also because my RT is broken in just right, and a wee bit more comfy.

Hope you have a great ride!

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin -ó but making great time.
post #14 of 17 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 3:55 pm

How much stuff do they have to remove to get to the antenna ring? Trying to decide if I should remove some my accessories and the associated wires; IntergratR, XM, CB, etc. before taking my GT in.

Bruce Hodges
post #15 of 17 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 4:12 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

On the GT, I think they take the handlebars off to get to the antenna ring. So if you have a bunch of stuff mounted there it wouldn't hurt to remove it and tuck the wires out of the way.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #16 of 17 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 7:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
On the GT, I think they take the handlebars off to get to the antenna ring. So if you have a bunch of stuff mounted there it wouldn't hurt to remove it and tuck the wires out of the way.
Not only do the handlbars come off (they just lay them on the tank) but the bridge, too.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #17 of 17 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 9:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
I'm lucky. Mine isn't listed. Maybe that's because I have one of the very first GTs that came out in 2006, before the late 2006/2007 update.

+1

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in