Wheel removal???? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 4:59 pm Thread Starter

Wheel removal????

I have done the searches and read up but still want to double check with those that know.

Front wheel removal:
Remove the fender, its four screws and just makes it a bit easier....
Remove both calipers/and hang them out of the way. Wiggle them as your taking them off to spread
Loosen the "pinch" bolt on the left side only !!!
Don't touch the right side. You are only going to loosen the side opposite the sensor.
Using a 22mm hex ,you unscrew the axle and remove it out the left side while supporting the wheel.

Rear wheel removal:
Remove exhaust canů..support bolt/screw and clamp
Unscrew wheel lugs
Remove wheel.

Is this all that there is to it?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 5:37 pm

Re: Wheel removal????

Dayem. Thought I answered this????

You got it, but you need to support the front end of the bike into the air while playing with R/R. Pit Bull stand, bottle jack with wood on it, etc.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 8:06 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Yep, that'll do it.

To support the front end, I got a spare screw jack from an auto wrecker and I use that along with a block of wood under the engine. You don't need to lift it very far, just get the front tire 1/2" or so off the ground.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 27 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 8:23 pm

Truly, your intellect is dizzying

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 27 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 8:31 pm

Ooops, I have been loosening both pinch bolts. Whats the reasoning behind loosening only the left side?

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #6 of 27 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 9:55 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

The left side clamps the axle in place to prevent it from backing out. The right side simply holds the large axle nut. If you look at the axle nut, you'll see that it is basically pushed all the way in flush, so it won't move at all when removing or replacing the axle. So no reason to un-pinch it. In fact, leaving it in place helps assure that the wheel (and thus the brake disks) stay lined up.

Also, since there are no sliding fork tubes you don't have to do the triple-bounce thing. Just torque the axle to spec, then torque the pinch bolt afterwards.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 27 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:47 pm

Thanks Ken,
I guess old habits are hard to change.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #8 of 27 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 12:37 pm Thread Starter

I'm sure it will be obviuos tonight when I tackle this but right now I'm confused between the left and right as described here.

The pinch bolts NOT to touch are the ones on the left side of the bike (as one would sit on it) correct?

The descriptions are referrencing as one looks straight on AT the bike which I believe is the incorrect way to describe a maintenence procedure.
post #9 of 27 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 2:02 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwgt
Rear wheel removal:
Remove exhaust canů..support bolt/screw and clamp
Unscrew wheel lugs
Remove wheel.
You shouldn't have to remove the exhaust can to access the rear wheel lugs... you only need to take off the license plate holder (two screws, IIRC)...

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #10 of 27 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 2:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino
You shouldn't have to remove the exhaust can to access the rear wheel lugs... you only need to take off the license plate holder (two screws, IIRC)...
NO. The exhaust (can) definitely comes off. Be sure to remove the side case first!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 27 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
NO. The exhaust (can) definitely comes off. Be sure to remove the side case first!

Of course the can comes off......now about that side case....would that be the left one as you're looking at the bike or the left one as you're sitting on the bike?

I AM definately taking that top case off though....it always gets in the way of removing the rear tire.
post #12 of 27 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Quote:
Gino is talkin LT here....

Jeff Davis
San Diego, CA
'00 Pacific Blue AKA BluBlur
'08 WR250F
'07 TTR125L (for the kid)
post #13 of 27 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 6:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasub
Yeah, after taking literally many dozens of LT tires off, I realized that. You think it gets tongue and cheek here, visit k-bikes some time.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 27 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 6:42 pm

Quote:
Of course the can comes off......now about that side case....would that be the left one as you're looking at the bike or the left one as you're sitting on the bike?
Depends on if you're standing on your head.

Quote:
I AM definately taking that top case off though....it always gets in the way of removing the rear tire.
Just don't forget where you left it this time.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #15 of 27 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 9:52 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasub
Geesh...! Who's the dolt that posted BEFORE looking at what forum he was in....

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #16 of 27 Old Jun 25th, 2008, 1:17 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Geesh...! Who's the dolt that posted BEFORE looking at what forum he was in....
That's OK. You have such a great quote in your .sig that all is forgiven.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #17 of 27 Old Jun 25th, 2008, 1:23 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
The pinch bolts NOT to touch are the ones on the left side of the bike (as one would sit on it) correct?
Yep, that's correct. Clutch handle side stays, throttle/brake side gets loosened.

Quote:
The descriptions are referrencing as one looks straight on AT the bike which I believe is the incorrect way to describe a maintenence procedure.
Again, correct. The descriptions here assume that you're sitting on the ground looking back at the front tire (or sitting on a stool if you're lucky enough to have a lift).

Tonight's tire change was the first time that I loosened the lower muffler clamp bolt. I was a little concerned about the rusty heat-cycled bolt possibly breaking, but it was fine for the turn or two I needed to swing the muffler back. And it was a whole lot easier to slide the rear tire out through the increased gap.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #18 of 27 Old Jun 25th, 2008, 1:25 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Thanks Ken
No, Thank You for being "on call" tonight and passing down those torque values.

I got fresh tires and brakes. Wanna go play in some mountains?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #19 of 27 Old Jun 25th, 2008, 12:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Depends on if you're standing on your head.

Just don't forget where you left it this time.

Which the tire or the case? yuck,yuck,yuck.

Now on a more serious note......
I took the wheels off last night.
Problem.....
How do you guys raise up the front?
Don't infrom me of special wheel lifts. Yeah I know they are out there but I also know others do this sans expensive jack/lifts.
I tried the scissors jack under the bike but upon closer inspection there was really no place to jack. The fairing surely cannot take the pressure. I thought of the headers but that didn't seem like a viable solution either.
So I got the front prepped and had a neighbor press down on the back while I removed the axle and wheel. Then I slipped in a length of rebar with jack stands supporting on either side.

Is there a jack point I can use rather than my neighbor?

Oh and one more question.
When I slipped out the axle it came out clean, sans any extra washers, spacers, rings. My RS had spacers and such. Does the GT.....or in my haste did they roll away and I really do need to find them?
post #20 of 27 Old Jun 25th, 2008, 12:15 pm

Yer kewl on the spacers.

See your post on k-bkes- a guy made a way to hold the front end.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #21 of 27 Old Jun 25th, 2008, 1:15 pm Thread Starter

Yeah I saw that but how does he get the bike raised to that point? And isn't that support just going through the axle holes on the forks? Since the point is to get the wheel out it defeats the purpose. Or am I missing soemthing?

I'm trying to raise the front of the bike (alone) and then slip on/off the axle and remove/reinstall the wheel.
post #22 of 27 Old Jun 25th, 2008, 8:15 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Yeah I saw that but how does he get the bike raised to that point? And isn't that support just going through the axle holes on the forks?
What you're missing is a BMW Master Certified Technician's degree. They're the only ones with the skills and experience to handle such a complicated and critical job such as safely removing and reinstalling the wheels on our precision German machines. Or at least that's what BMW wants us to believe.

The special wheel lifts (and the cheap plywood imitation) hook to the forks at the brake caliper mounts. There is a triangle of aluminum that you can slip a socket or smooth rod into and safely lift the front tire from there.

The scissors jack and wood on the headers works just fine. Simply make sure the wood is short enough that it doesn't contact the lower fairing.

You're not picking up the whole bike, you're just pivoting it about the center stand to get the front wheel 1/2" or so off the ground. Honestly you could lay under the bike and pivot it the same amount using one hand pushing up on the pipes.

Just don't try either of those methods when the bike has been freshly run and the pipes are still hot.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #23 of 27 Old Jun 26th, 2008, 10:56 am Thread Starter

Question Re: Wheel removal????

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
The special wheel lifts (and the cheap plywood imitation) hook to the forks at the brake caliper mounts. There is a triangle of aluminum that you can slip a socket or smooth rod into and safely lift the front tire from there.

The scissors jack and wood on the headers works just fine. Simply make sure the wood is short enough that it doesn't contact the lower fairing.

You're not picking up the whole bike, you're just pivoting it about the center stand to get the front wheel 1/2" or so off the ground. Honestly you could lay under the bike and pivot it the same amount using one hand pushing up on the pipes.

Just don't try either of those methods when the bike has been freshly run and the pipes are still hot.

The jacking up using the triangle on the forks: Both sides need to be pressured/lifted up simutaneously correct? Ala a the standard motorcycle wheel lift. How is this accomplished using one scissors jack? I tried and it just jacked up the bike on one side, turning the wheel oposite and tilting the bike. This unsymetrical lift didn't work.

As for the lifting via the headers. Nope not gonna do it. The weight of the bike (okay partial because of the center stand) will be all on the header bolts. Even for the slight lift needed I don't think its a good idea. Just my opinion.

As of now the pressure on the back rack tilting the front end up seems to be the best method....now if my neighbor is always around when I need him.

Oh I have new rubber (Storms suggested by Ken) and everything is mounted up on the bike. Its all really easy except for that jacking up bit.
post #24 of 27 Old Jun 26th, 2008, 2:02 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

The scissors jack is for under the headers. If you're not comfortable with that then no biggie, it is your bike after all. Maybe I'll put a bathroom scale under there one day to see how much weight is actually carried there. But it's really not all that much.

The professional or home made wheel lifts hook to either side of the forks. I don't know how he lifts the front end into the plywood supports, but the pro ones use wheels and leverage and are pretty easy. A pro lift is probably the "best" option, but I didn't want the expense or to have to store it in the garage, plus it does me no good if I have to change tires out on the road somewhere.

Another poster used a tie down strap from the rear rack to an anchor in his garage floor. Any solid point mounted low should work if your neighbor isn't handy. You could even run one end of the strap under your car wheel or hook it to a bumper (metal, not plastic).

There are lots of options depending on your budget, your fussiness, and your cleverness.

You'll enjoy the Storms. I've been through 3 fronts and 5 rears already and so far, they're my favorite tire.

I just put on a set of Dunlop Roadsmarts. They have a dual compound rear for mileage, and a bunch of other marketing BS for better handling, wet grip, etc. We'll see how they feel over the next couple of months, and how long they last.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Last edited by meese; Jun 26th, 2008 at 2:13 pm.
post #25 of 27 Old Jun 26th, 2008, 4:44 pm Thread Starter

Yeah I was thinking the pull down strap idea the best and using a car as anachor would work......so long as the proverbial non-knowing driver gets in and drives away at that exact momnet .
Its only for a few seconds while the axle and wheel are removed anyways.

Yeah...let us know how the new Dunlops work out.
post #26 of 27 Old Jun 26th, 2008, 7:17 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
...so long as the proverbial non-knowing driver gets in and drives away at that exact momnet
Now I was thinking that you'd use your own car, not some random one sitting on the street.

But you still may want to clear it with the wife, or at least hide the keys for an hour or so.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #27 of 27 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 11:30 pm

Quote:
Using a 22mm hex, you unscrew the axle and remove it out the left side while supporting the wheel.
This thread was great, I just did this and it took less than 15 minutes. I didn't have a 22mm hex (what an odd tool!) but thanks to a tip from another thread I used the back end of a 1 1/16" Oil Sending Socket. Just shove an 3/8" socket extension in from the back, fits perfectly, and only $7 at the Napa Auto Parts store around the corner.

I used a scissor jack and a small piece of 2x4 under the headers, no problem. Left jack stands under the axle as an extra safety measure while I get the tire changed.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0403.JPG
Views:	3388
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	18931  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in