Question about the condition of Final Drive Lube - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 27th, 2008, 7:43 pm Thread Starter

Question about the condition of Final Drive Lube

For those of you who've changed your final drive lube and seen what comes out.
My GT has 9400 miles on it and I just changed final drive lube this weekend. (I have been told by my dealer that the gear oil had been changed by the previous owner at the 600 mile check up). I decided to do it again with an oil/filter change. The gear oil that came out concerns me...it was very black, seemed very low viscosity and after sitting for about an hour or so in the small pan I used, there was a layer of "silt" in the bottom of the pan. The magnetic fill plug (which is sort of hollow in the middle) was covered, but not what I would call excessively with the same very fine grey "silt". I now have doubts that the gear oil had ever been changed. My concern is that this was the "break in" oil that BMW accidentally sent out in some units and my dealer has just been giving me the yeah yeah, that was already done. In 8000 miles I would NOT expect, nor have I ever seen oil look that bad.
Can anyone else comment on the condition of their gear oil when drained?
I would appreciate anyone elses shared knowledge about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 27th, 2008, 8:14 pm

Re: Question about the condition of Final Drive Lube

I change mine with my oil changes. It is black and very thin, especially for such low mileage. The sludge is normal, no concerns unless you find actual metal or metal flakes. As these things age, the black should start going away if it's anything like the LT.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old May 28th, 2008, 7:09 pm Thread Starter

Re: Question about the condition of Final Drive Lube

Thanks for the reply. After a few more miles I'm probably going to try to flush the unit out with trans fluid or something and then refill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in