How good is the weather protection on the GT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 27th, 2008, 7:08 pm Thread Starter

How good is the weather protection on the GT?

My LT is now close to 6 years old and my extended warranty expires in 11/2008. I want a Garmin 2830, which means I need a new intercom, etc. Refarkling to get it to were I want it will be expensive and I'll still have a 6 year old bike. I also want a lighter bike since I ride solo all of the time and am getting older. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my LT, I'm just getting the itch for a newer ride with newer farkles. However, I just am having a hard time parting with the absolute weather protection offered by the LT. I had the opportunity to test ride the GT for about 15 min last year and really liked it. Boy, I'd like the chance to take one the the Smokey MNTS for a weekend. Just got back from a 3 day MNT trip over Memorial Day to the Smokies and the fat lady still rocks. But, 250+ pounds less would be nice for a 60.5 year old fart like me.

I'm just concerned about protection from rain and cold. Though more air in the summer would be nice. The LT will cook you with temps >90 degrees with full riding gear (even with Meshtech). Anyway, I'd appreciate some honest input on how well the GT protect from the elements. I know it handles like a dream. Any input on long distance comfort (1000 miles days) would also be appreciated.

Thanks is advance.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 27th, 2008, 8:14 pm

Re: How good is the weather protection on the GT?

If you'd slide that sweet leetle Chevy over just a leetle bit, you'd have room for the GT AND the LT!!!

Be the best of all (3) worlds!!

Good luck, Dick.

And hey, you don't get to call yourselvis an ole phart 'til you retire, full time!!
post #3 of 12 Old May 27th, 2008, 8:19 pm

Hey Dick, it's not as good as the LT, but I have no complaints. You get hit more with water on the feet, hands and arms. Gear takes care of that.

Aeroflow makes a windshield that gives you more protection and guards that go on the side of the bike. That just leaves the feet kind of open, but like I've said, I have absotootly no complaints. Go to www.k-bikes.com, there are a few threads in the GT section going right now with pics of the Aeroflow setup that can be removed for wamer weather.

Did I tell you I love my GT?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

post #4 of 12 Old May 28th, 2008, 7:26 am

Yeah, what Grif said. The feet part I haven't noticed near as much as the hands and arms. I put a V-Stream on in the winter and it really made a difference as far as cold air on my arms. My biggest problem in cold weather is my hands. My fingies get down right frostie. Those Aeroflow extenders are probably just the ticket for that.

Hot weather? Well, just about like any bike. As long as you're moving it ain't bad at all. I just lower the windshield (stock with laminar lip) and I get plenty of air.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #5 of 12 Old May 28th, 2008, 11:33 am

I think the weather protection for the stock GT is OK, not near as good as the LT or even the RT. I have the BMW tall windscreen and Cee Bailey +2 and +4 and during the winter added the Aeroflow extender thingees. The extenders improved hand protection and did a better job of keeping the wind and rain off my shoulders. I usually keep the balls of my feet on the pegs when riding and have not had any issues with wet or cold feet.

I did dump the stock seat and got a Russell. On a long ride my knees do bark at me, (we are pretty close in age). I usually stand on the pegs for a bit or some such. After 2 years there hasn't been a single day when I wanted the LT back.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue Honu
post #6 of 12 Old May 28th, 2008, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Hey Dick, it's not as good as the LT, but I have no complaints. You get hit more with water on the feet, hands and arms. Gear takes care of that.

Aeroflow makes a windshield that gives you more protection and guards that go on the side of the bike. That just leaves the feet kind of open, but like I've said, I have absotootly no complaints. Go to www.k-bikes.com, there are a few threads in the GT section going right now with pics of the Aeroflow setup that can be removed for wamer weather.

Did I tell you I love my GT?
Thanks Grif. I guess I'm just going to have to go up to BMW of ATL and tell them that they have to lend me a GT for the weekend. I know I'll like it. I just need to find some rain to ride in.

I tried to join the K-Bike side, but they do not accept AOL email addresses. Oh well.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #7 of 12 Old May 28th, 2008, 6:02 pm

PM me with your sign up info and I'll register you and give you a password that you can change when you first log in.

This site is the same way with AOL, should be, same folks running it! AOL considers us spam and has blacklisted us no matter how hard Andy tries. Hey! Maybe that's it!!! They don't like Andy.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 12 Old May 28th, 2008, 6:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
If you'd slide that sweet leetle Chevy over just a leetle bit, you'd have room for the GT AND the LT!!!

Be the best of all (3) worlds!!

Good luck, Dick.

And hey, you don't get to call yourselvis an ole phart 'til you retire, full time!!
Dick, I need you to talk to my wife. Since she doesn't ride, I don't think that 2 bike thangy is gonna fly.

The Impala still purrs like a kitten and looks brand new. Hell, it is brand new after to frame off restoration we did 4 years ago. It now has 106,500 miles on it with the original engine (we didn't do anything to the engine except replace all the seals and paint it). I'll have that thang until I die. If you ever get down this way, stop by and I'll take you for a ride.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #9 of 12 Old May 28th, 2008, 6:11 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone else who posted a reply. I think a GT may be in my future.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #10 of 12 Old May 28th, 2008, 9:37 pm
fas

Talking Re: How good is the weather protection on the GT?

Dick,

Certainly, I love my GT. A lot more than the LT I rode hard for 4 years. Getting ride of that extra weight is one thing, but the lower cg is the GOOD news. More power combined with better suspension is just flat amazing. Being able to quickly remove the bags and carry them in to our home or hotel is worth the price of admission. This feature certainly is very much appreciated by me compared to the fixed bag setup on the LT.

As far as weather, I added the Z-Technik shield. Per SO, 25% less buffetting. I had the BMW tall shield.

She loves the GT more than any bike we have owned since 1971.

The GT suspension is superb and effortless to adjust. SO calls it "the cloud."

I would NOT go back to an LT. Far too top heavy & slow.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #11 of 12 Old May 28th, 2008, 9:54 pm

Wink Re: How good is the weather protection on the GT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
I'm just concerned about protection from rain and cold. Though more air in the summer would be nice. The LT will cook you with temps >90 degrees with full riding gear (even with Meshtech). Anyway, I'd appreciate some honest input on how well the GT protect from the elements. I know it handles like a dream. Any input on long distance comfort (1000 miles days) would also be appreciated.

Thanks is advance.
Doc,
It's a motorcycle, your supposed to get wet, cold, and hot. But I put a shorter shield on my GT for a cooler ride in the summer. It still has better protection than my 93 K11RS or any other bike I have ever owned, never owned an LT.
post #12 of 12 Old May 28th, 2008, 10:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norriscooper
Doc,
It's a motorcycle, your supposed to get wet, cold, and hot. But I put a shorter shield on my GT for a cooler ride in the summer. It still has better protection than my 93 K11RS or any other bike I have ever owned, never owned an LT.
You mean, I need to go back to my Harley? The LT cured me of all miseries you listed except for being hot. I'm old and I desired to be cozy!

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in