Two Suburban Machinery Questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 7th, 2008, 2:20 pm Thread Starter

Two Suburban Machinery Questions

In line with the other thread about "giving up"....I'm not there yet...but....

Had my GT for about 6 weeks, have 2,000 miles on my baby, and there was one day, just one, that I was absolutely comfortable, pain free, and enjoying the ride.

It is that one day that gives me hope that riding the GT, with the bars all the way down (tried them all the way up), will work for me.

Since that one day, the shoulder pain has lessened considerably, and there are moments that I'm actually comfortable, but to be honest, most of the time I'm riding I feel an uncomfortable twitch here and there enough not to want to ride the long way home.

So...I've been reluctant to give the Suburban Machinery barbacks a try in hopes of being able to really enjoy my GT in its natural state. But, now, I think I should explore that option.

Now, that you're bored to tears with the background, here's my two questions:

1. Does adding the Suburban Machinery barbacks change the ergonomics of the GT to that of an RT, or a semi-RT, or none of the above.
2. If one is able to change the height of the handlebars (I did it, with a lot of help for you good folks) can one install the Suburban Machinery barbacks without too much technical expertise?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 7th, 2008, 3:03 pm

Re: Two Suburban Machinery Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefeb
In line with the other thread about "giving up"....I'm not there yet...but....

Had my GT for about 6 weeks, have 2,000 miles on my baby, and there was one day, just one, that I was absolutely comfortable, pain free, and enjoying the ride.

It is that one day that gives me hope that riding the GT, with the bars all the way down (tried them all the way up), will work for me.

Since that one day, the shoulder pain has lessened considerably, and there are moments that I'm actually comfortable, but to be honest, most of the time I'm riding I feel an uncomfortable twitch here and there enough not to want to ride the long way home.

So...I've been reluctant to give the Suburban Machinery barbacks a try in hopes of being able to really enjoy my GT in its natural state. But, now, I think I should explore that option.

Now, that you're bored to tears with the background, here's my two questions:

1. Does adding the Suburban Machinery barbacks change the ergonomics of the GT to that of an RT, or a semi-RT, or none of the above.
2. If one is able to change the height of the handlebars (I did it, with a lot of help for you good folks) can one install the Suburban Machinery barbacks without too much technical expertise?

Thanks.

1. None of the above.
2. T45 Torx and box wrench is all you need. Takes maybe 15 minutes to change.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #3 of 6 Old May 7th, 2008, 3:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
1. None of the above.
2. T45 Torx and box wrench is all you need. Takes maybe 15 minutes to change.

F
Great on #2. Thanks.

In regards to #1, I admit to being kornfuzed...

I'm trying to visualize what the SBs do...I mean, what's the difference between the stock bars being raised to their highest position, and the SBs with the bars in their lowest position?

Doesn't raising the stock bars, move them up and back towards the driver too?

Thanks.

post #4 of 6 Old May 7th, 2008, 5:18 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

The stock bar adjustments do move the bars slightly back towards the driver, but only because the mounting point is slightly angled back. The SM risers move the bars back a full inch, plus allow you to raise the bars 0.35" or 0.7" higher than the stock "tall" position. For me they made a big difference, even over the HeliBar risers which move back 1" but add no height.

I'd say ordering a pair to try them is much cheaper than trading in the bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 6 Old May 7th, 2008, 7:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
The stock bar adjustments do move the bars slightly back towards the driver, but only because the mounting point is slightly angled back. The SM risers move the bars back a full inch, plus allow you to raise the bars 0.35" or 0.7" higher than the stock "tall" position. For me they made a big difference, even over the HeliBar risers which move back 1" but add no height.

I'd say ordering a pair to try them is much cheaper than trading in the bike.
Thanks, now I understand.

Ordered the SBs today. No matter what, I am not going to trade the bike in...My wife would kill me , and with good reason. I went from an HD Ultra Classic, to an LT, then back to a HD, and now the GT. One more motorcycle change, and I'd be riding alone for more than I care to think about.

I love the GT. The way it handles, it's weight, the speed, etc. I've just got to get the comfort thing dialed in, and I'm sure, one way or the other, I will.

I'll be sure to report back once the SBs are installed, and after I've ridden a good amount with them on.
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefeb
Thanks, now I understand.

Ordered the SBs today. No matter what, I am not going to trade the bike in...My wife would kill me , and with good reason. I went from an HD Ultra Classic, to an LT, then back to a HD, and now the GT. One more motorcycle change, and I'd be riding alone for more than I care to think about.

I love the GT. The way it handles, it's weight, the speed, etc. I've just got to get the comfort thing dialed in, and I'm sure, one way or the other, I will.

I'll be sure to report back once the SBs are installed, and after I've ridden a good amount with them on.
So did they work for you? I absolutely love mine! First time I have ever ridden a bike that didn't give me killer pain in the trap area.

Ken
2007 BMW K1200GT
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCSE2 (totaled)
2005 Honda ST1300 (traded)
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Standard (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in