I give up - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 5th, 2008, 7:18 am Thread Starter

Unhappy I give up

Well...I have tried to get around the pain I have in my shoulder with riding the GT for a year. No matter what I try to do to try and alleviate the pain it gives my shoulder, it still hurts more than the pleasure of riding this wonderful machine. I am going to have to give it up. I am going in Weds to get the BBS situation looked at (Woodson MotorSports) and going to talk trade back to the LT. Wish me luck and I know I am going to take a beating on the price, but I just can't get around the pain in my shoulder and the LT never did this to me.

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 5th, 2008, 7:30 am

Re: I give up

Well... sorry to hear about the troubles.. no good being in pain like that. Also, no reason to be messed up...

Hope this doesn't mess up your "riding".... just the choice of ride...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #3 of 13 Old May 5th, 2008, 7:42 am

Did you try putting the bars all the way down? Might not sound like it makes sense, but it worked for me. If you have, and you're convinced that an LT is the solution ... well that's not the worse thing in the world either.

post #4 of 13 Old May 5th, 2008, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Did you try putting the bars all the way down? Might not sound like it makes sense, but it worked for me. If you have, and you're convinced that an LT is the solution ... well that's not the worse thing in the world either.
Hey Joe...yeah I have tried every conceivable configuration with the bars that I can think of and all the suggestions, just keeps giving me fits. I was a bit worried that the slightly leaned over position would give me problems but I had to try it . I may not be able to work a financially equitable trade but I have to try. We'll see this week what I can do but I sure wish I could get this bike to work for me...I love it!!!

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

~Author Unknown~

'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

post #5 of 13 Old May 5th, 2008, 10:37 am

Do a long "test" ride on the LT and see if the shoulder problem appears. If not, then you are making a wise choice to go back to the LT.

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #6 of 13 Old May 5th, 2008, 1:56 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

What eliminated my shoulder blade pain was the Suburban Machinery bar risers set back 1" and up 0.7" from the stock "tall" position. I'm investigating having longer throttle cables made so I can go up another 0.7" without binding anything.

Then again, the LT is a great bike and you know it will serve you well.

Or there's always this option:

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 13 Old May 5th, 2008, 6:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
What eliminated my shoulder blade pain was the Suburban Machinery bar risers set back 1" and up 0.7" from the stock "tall" position. I'm investigating having longer throttle cables made so I can go up another 0.7" without binding anything.

Then again, the LT is a great bike and you know it will serve you well.

Or there's always this option:

Oh for crying out loud! Tell me that's a photo shop!

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #8 of 13 Old May 6th, 2008, 4:31 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I have the risers on but let me know if you get anything in that dept. Ken cause financially I don't know if I'm gonna be able to pull this trade off and I might be stuck with the GT. If so, then I will want to know where to get some longer cabling.

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

~Author Unknown~

'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

post #9 of 13 Old May 6th, 2008, 4:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
Do a long "test" ride on the LT and see if the shoulder problem appears. If not, then you are making a wise choice to go back to the LT.
I have a "test" ride scheduled for weds. when I take the bike in for the BBS situation but thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

~Author Unknown~

'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

post #10 of 13 Old May 6th, 2008, 10:11 am

Is the pain in the shoulders or between them? If it's between them it might be that you are using your shoulder and arm to turn the throttle not your wrist. That was my issue.

Either way I hope you find a bike you can enjoy and keep riding.

Cheers,

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #11 of 13 Old May 6th, 2008, 1:33 pm

How about you put your big boy panties on suck it up.

Brother man, I'm awfully sorry to hear about this, I know how you feel. Have you tried the tank grippers by Techspec? They allow you to grip the tank with your knee's. This helps to unload your arms and back. Also, when riding try rounding the small of your back some.

See you in about 3 months!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 13 Old May 7th, 2008, 5:36 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankshot
Is the pain in the shoulders or between them? If it's between them it might be that you are using your shoulder and arm to turn the throttle not your wrist. That was my issue.

Either way I hope you find a bike you can enjoy and keep riding.

Cheers,
Thanks Jim...I don't think that is the issue. I had a motorcycle accident a few years back and it broke the collar bone way out by my right shoulder. The bone never reconnected and that is what is giving me fits. On the LT, it was never an issue, but with this bike, it doesn't seem to matter what I try to do to arrange the ergonomics of the bike or my position on the bike it still ends up at the end of the day with a very painful shoulder.

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

~Author Unknown~

'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

post #13 of 13 Old May 7th, 2008, 5:50 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
How about you put your big boy panties on suck it up.

Brother man, I'm awfully sorry to hear about this, I know how you feel. Have you tried the tank grippers by Techspec? They allow you to grip the tank with your knee's. This helps to unload your arms and back. Also, when riding try rounding the small of your back some.

See you in about 3 months!
Ha Ha Grif... You know me...I have been suckin it up for a year now. I wanted to give this bike the benefit of the doubt but after trying the suggestions here and trying to change the riding style, my shoulder is killin me! I have the tank grippers...corbin seat...bar risers and it is still no love. I changed back to the stock seat last night for the 2 hr trip to Fort Wayne BMW this morning and we'll see if that has any bearing on the shoulder. It seems to put me in a different position...we'll see. Anyway, I may be stuck with this machine until I can pay down on it some. I see they are selling for a ridiculous $16k now for the used bikes and I owe 4K more than that. I can't afford to take too big of a hit on it without getting into some financial trouble...so we'll see what they will do for me.

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

~Author Unknown~

'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in