Thinking GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 10:30 pm Thread Starter

Thinking GT

I know this site pertains to newer GT's, but I am thinking of buying a 2000 or newer model GT. I've only owned a GS 1150 and know that the motors are very reliable. I was wondering if the K bikes were the same, and if there are any issues with the final drives of the GT's. I'm not afraid of doing work or spending on maintenance. Also, I've seen a couple of photos of 03 or 04 GT's with what appears to be BMW trunks on the back. Could anyone enlighten me on that also. I didn't think BMW made matching trunks for these bikes.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 10:51 pm

Re: Thinking GT

Hello, You will love the power of the GT. The trunk is shared with the RT. It will work with the newer GT. I do not know about the older ones. There was a major change on 06 for the GT, more power and options I would consider this before making a decision. This site is the best source of information. I recommend that you go to a BMW dealer and take them for a test drive and feel the difference on a used pre 06 and a post or new one. Have fun shopping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 10:58 am

Beware of the Shop Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubster
I know this site pertains to newer GT's, but I am thinking of buying a 2000 or newer model GT. I was wondering if the K bikes were the same, and if there are any issues with the final drives of the GT's.
Thanks!
I had an 02 K12RS and an 04 K12RS, practially the same thing as a GT.
They were not very reliable. Oil leaks, cams spalling, clutches gone bad, and rear drives developing play. All fixed under warranty but sold when warranty expired at 36,000 miles!
My 06 GT isn't perfect either but hasn't spent nearly as much time in the shop.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 27th, 2008, 5:44 am

Re: Beware of the Shop Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by norriscooper
I had an 02 K12RS and an 04 K12RS, practially the same thing as a GT.
They were not very reliable. Oil leaks, cams spalling, clutches gone bad, and rear drives developing play. All fixed under warranty but sold when warranty expired at 36,000 miles!
My 06 GT isn't perfect either but hasn't spent nearly as much time in the shop.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

I agree about the flying brick engine. I just got out of my LT which has the same engine. Oil leaks, transmission leaks, clutch gone bad.. I just unloaded it because the extended warranty was running out soon.

Now the new GT on the other hand is a different story. Totally different engine, more power, canbus, etc., etc., etc...

My buddy has put over 36K on his in about a year and he hasn't had any trouble at all.

It would have been my first choice if I could have sprung for it. But, took the RT instead...

'06 - '08.. That is the way to go !!!!!!!!! I have seen '06 GTs going for around 15K...
post #5 of 11 Old May 10th, 2008, 11:43 pm

I own a 05 K1200LT which has almost 50,000 miles on it. I'm wanting some input on the difference between it and the new GT. Any LT riders out there who moved to the GT?
Thanks!
Clyde [email protected]
post #6 of 11 Old May 11th, 2008, 1:00 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Hey Clyde,

Start with this survey, then go to this thread for more details, and this thread for the other side of the coin. And then just read through this entire forum at your leisure.

My short answer is that I really wish they made a K1200RT, but with the ergonomic mods I've made the GT is 90% as comfortable as my LT was. Plus losing 200 lbs and gaining 50 HP sure helps.

The bottom line is that after doing the research, you just gotta ride one and see if it will work for you. But be prepared to buy, just in case it does.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 11 Old May 14th, 2008, 4:49 am

I agree with Meese.. I now own an R1200RT and really like it. But, I would like it more if it were a K1200RT with that killer new GT powerplant.

The RT is very comfortable. It has tons of power. Far more then the LT (at least my old '03). It is very comfortable. It does have a little more vibration then the LT or GT mostly on the grips.. Heavy bar ends should help. Smooth but not as smooth as the LT.

I rode both the RT and the GT. Loved the power of the GT but the ergos of the RT better. Was looking for a GT but got a great deal I could afford on an RT and am not disappointed.
post #8 of 11 Old May 18th, 2008, 9:42 pm
fas

Cool Re: Thinking GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubster
I know this site pertains to newer GT's, but I am thinking of buying a 2000 or newer model GT. I've only owned a GS 1150 and know that the motors are very reliable. I was wondering if the K bikes were the same, and if there are any issues with the final drives of the GT's. I'm not afraid of doing work or spending on maintenance. Also, I've seen a couple of photos of 03 or 04 GT's with what appears to be BMW trunks on the back. Could anyone enlighten me on that also. I didn't think BMW made matching trunks for these bikes.

Thanks!
Here's my 2006 GT with the large BMW top case. For sale now. I love the GT, but have a new KTM Super Duke and a New Boxster in a TINY garage (100 year old home). Something gotta go. SO loves the GT more than any bike we have owned since 1971. Close to 11,000 miles. Always serviced by the dealership where I bought both of my BMW bikes. New METZ rubber. Added the Z-Technik shield, much less buffetting than the BMW tall design.

Joe blew up his GT rear, but he rides at Mach 1 and weights a ton... He also did NOT change the rear drive fluid (he listened to BMW's dumb rec. to run it with no change).

I have every receipt and maintenance doc for my GT. It is in superb shape. KTM and BMW are clients and I change bikes frequently to ride new stuff.

PM me if you have any q's....

Good luck with your search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0154_4.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	17937  

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #9 of 11 Old May 19th, 2008, 2:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
Here's my 2006 GT with the large BMW top case. For sale now.
Sent you a PM. I know a guy that's shopping for a GT.
post #10 of 11 Old May 19th, 2008, 8:16 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Sent you a PM. I know a guy that's shopping for a GT.
What, you looking for a parts bike??

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #11 of 11 Old May 25th, 2008, 8:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
My short answer is that I really wish they made a K1200RT, but with the ergonomic mods I've made the GT is 90% as comfortable as my LT was. Plus losing 200 lbs and gaining 50 HP sure helps.
And I too joined the club after three LTs totalling almost 190,000 miles.

My 08 GT has:
Aeroflow screen
Laminar flow lip (to make the screen as good as an Aeroflow LT screen)
Aeroflow gards
Surburban Machinery Bar backs
MV Verholen foot peg lowering (rider and pillion)

It has the BMW large case, with Kissan Tech brake/running lights on the top and the panniers have lights to make the edges

I have a Harman Kardon Drive+play to control the iPod into an Autocom super-pro avi.

its so much easier to ride than the LT - stuff it in 6th and that's it.

Oh - HID dip (from BMW), HID mains, HID spots under the mirrors (from www.autolamps-online.com) and Motolights

A sargeant seat is on the shopping list...

Niall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in