'07 GT 1200 luggage paint - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 8:41 am Thread Starter

'07 GT 1200 luggage paint

Any pics out there of "charcoal" colored GT 1200 with the top luggage case painted to match instead of stock paint job?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:19 pm

Re: '07 GT 1200 luggage paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecharrlin
Any pics out there of "charcoal" colored GT 1200 with the top luggage case painted to match instead of stock paint job?
Haven't seen it but I was thinking of having my trunk lid done when I get the extra cash.

Ken
2007 BMW K1200GT
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCSE2 (totaled)
2005 Honda ST1300 (traded)
2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Standard (sold)
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 9:56 am

I have a 49 liter top case that I would very much like to have the lid painted to match my metallic blue GT.

The local dealers have referred me to various paint shops, but to my surprise, none of them has done one before. I get estimates, but not the clear feeling that they know what they are doing.

I have another one to try, but haven't had the time. I did swap emails with a shop in Northern California. They are very nice, and experienced at doing the work, but too far for me. They gave me some suggestions, however:

One more thing on those topcases...
Remind them that when the case is open, the edge is visable (usally silver) and the new color must go around the edge to the black moulded plastic interior, The interior is not removed during painting but does need to be masked in a way that*allows for the edge*to get color...

Hope this helps...

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 9:58 am
Super Moderator

Contact San Jose BMW - 408-295-0205, and talk to Pete in service. They work with a painter who does exceptional work. He painted the topcase on my '08, and when he couldn't find the right paint code he matched it perfectly. With the paint code the job is just that much easier. He removes the lid and paints all of the silver areas the new color and does an absolutely spectacular job. It cost me about $300 but I feel it was well worth it.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 6:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconfire
Haven't seen it but I was thinking of having my trunk lid done when I get the extra cash.
I had mine done at Cycle Finish in Redwood City at the same time I had a side panel resprayed to fix up a parking lot tip over. They did a computer match to get the color (mine is crystal grey) and it came out great, I'd go there again.

I wasn't able to get the hinges off the top of the top case (you have to remove the inner shell to do that and it appears to be attached with adhesive tape) but removing the passenger backrest is easy (5 screws) and the BMW roundel pops off with a putty knife. They masked out the hinges and the inner liner, and it's impossible to tell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in