GT still not running correctly. Looking for ideas. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:48 am Thread Starter

GT still not running correctly. Looking for ideas.

I'm looking for some advice on the best way to proceed. My new (under a year) GT is still not running perfectly. It ran fine for months, but on my trip to Laguna Seca last year it would not idle properly.

The dealer did something (I don't remember what) on the 1st attempt, and it ran better, but not right. Then it got worse again, and I took it back. This time, they changed the air intake and upgraded the sw. Again, it ran better, but it's still not right. At 1800 RPM or so, it doesn't run smooth and loses power. The actual RPM may vary; sometimes it seems more like 2200 RPM.

What should be my next step? The air filter may be plugged from the fires we had months ago, so maybe old problems were fixed as new problems were introduced. Should I try and replace the air filter and plugs? Could it be the fuel filter, and how hard is that to replace? There was a thread a few days ago about a filter getting plugged due to the gas take being overfilled, but leaving the tank open didn't change how it ran.

Or, should I just take it to the dealer and say "make it right", even though this would be the 3rd attempt?

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 12:03 pm
BMW Guru

Re: GT still not running correctly. Looking for ideas.

You say they replaced the air intake. Did they replace the air box? BMW has replaced a bunch of these for high idle and running issues like you describe...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 12:23 pm Thread Starter

Yes, they replaced the air box, not the air intake. My mistake. Not being real sure what the air box is, it didn't "stick" in my head.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 12:29 pm

What Ted said. BMW is replacing the entire airbox assembly and uploading new software. There is an actuator valve in the air box that's hanging up that causes high idle and/or bucking bike syndrome (the throttle acts like an on/off switch). There is an at home fix called "The Fettle" where you remove the airbox, sand out the actuator valve hole and emory cloth some graphite into it. That worked for awhile, but I still got high idle after a long cruise using the cruise control. BBS was more prevalent.

I just had my airbox replaced and the bike is running like a dream. They also did the 18k service, which was checking the valve lash, replaced the plugs and air filter. It came to a whopping $275.00.

It's not easy getting to the plugs, so be aware if you want to do it yourself. The air filter is a piece of cake. Check out the Hall of Wisdom at www.k-bikes.com .

The fuel filter is actually built into the fuel pump and not meant to be replaced. Unlike the LT, which is a constant flow system, the GT is an on demand fuel system.

I have pulled my canister because they can get plugged. You have to remove the gas tank to do it, but besides that it's easy. Actually, tons easier than the LT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
I'm looking for some advice on the best way to proceed. My new (under a year) GT is still not running perfectly. It ran fine for months, but on my trip to Laguna Seca last year it would not idle properly.

The dealer did something (I don't remember what) on the 1st attempt, and it ran better, but not right. Then it got worse again, and I took it back. This time, they changed the air intake and upgraded the sw. Again, it ran better, but it's still not right. At 1800 RPM or so, it doesn't run smooth and loses power. The actual RPM may vary; sometimes it seems more like 2200 RPM.

What should be my next step? The air filter may be plugged from the fires we had months ago, so maybe old problems were fixed as new problems were introduced. Should I try and replace the air filter and plugs? Could it be the fuel filter, and how hard is that to replace? There was a thread a few days ago about a filter getting plugged due to the gas take being overfilled, but leaving the tank open didn't change how it ran.

Or, should I just take it to the dealer and say "make it right", even though this would be the 3rd attempt?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 6:13 pm

Bob,

My KGT was bought new on 30 June 2007.

I rode directly through your area (on I-5 from San Clemente to beyond Anaheim) on the Sunday evening (21 October) when the fires were at their worst. It was scary - the hills were fully engulfed, the wind made the ride quite dangerous. The toll road was closed, and the cones blocking the exit were blowing all over the freeway. Smoke was everywhere - it was hard to see the other vehicles on the freeway.

I changed my air filter the following week, despite the fact that the bike was essentially new. As I suspected, the air filter very dirty. It was full of soot and other detritus from the fires. Whether or not the root cause of your problem is the air filter, you should think about changing it if you did much riding around during that time.
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

I hope you're right. I did ride to work in back in RSM, and the smoke got pretty acrid on some days. I'll pick one up and try that.

- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in