getting tired of my CBR - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 2:33 pm Thread Starter

getting tired of my CBR

I originally posted in this space a few months ago about my plans to trade my CBR1000 for a K1200GT. unfortunately some financial situations have put this plan on hold for a bit. but what I've found in the last two weeks that I've had my CBR back on the road for the season is that the bike is really not comfortable for me anymore. I have a Sargent seat and riser bars on it and that helps but it's still not as comfortable as I would like. And it's causing me not to ride as much as I would like to. So my question is would a BMW cycle, other than the current K1200GT, help to bridge the gap? we have a great dealership, Bob's BMW, right near my house and I'm thinking of going by on my way home today to see what kind of pre-owned models they have. Their website lists a '03 K1200GT for about 10k which is far more reasonable than the 16k I'm seeing for pre-owned '06 K12GT models. so is it better to wait until I can get the current 12GT, or get a used one to ride for a season, or just tough it out on my CBR for another season?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 4:26 pm
Super Moderator

Re: getting tired of my CBR

The older GT is still a great bike. I had a 98 K12RS (same as older GT with less wind protection, no electric windscreen, etc.) and it was a fantastic bike. The new GT is a fantastic bike and I'm enjoying mine completely. If he has both on the floor go take a look and see which one "speaks" to you, and maybe take them out for a quick test ride. That might be the best path to help make the decision.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 12:10 pm Thread Starter

I went by after work yesterday and they have a new 12GT demo, a pre-owned '04 12GT and a pre-owned ('06 I think) 12S. so I'm going back tomorrow or Sat to ride them. I also looked on cycle trader to see what private seller 12S models were going for (to compare with what the dealer was asking). private seller listings were about $1k-$1500 cheaper and there were also some less expensive ones at dealers in other states. I also have to see what they would give me on a trade, or sell my CBR first.

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 1:26 pm

I have a 2006 K1200S that I put 4" bar risers, a Rick Mayer seat, throttlemeister and a Laminar Lip on, and 500 mile days are no problem. I am hopefully going to be able to do a Saddlesore 1000 some day, we'll see. I'll be riding it to Gillette for the MOA rally in July and really expect no comfort problems on the trip.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
post #5 of 8 Old Apr 17th, 2008, 1:53 pm

Since you have already ridden a pre'06 Gt you know that they are of a different engine design than the 2nd gen Ks. The good old brick is a great engine and will last for years and many miles. But realize that your position on the bike won't change much unless you get the Gen II version. The early GTs were just K RSs with a slightly more upright cockpit.
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 3:42 pm Thread Starter

I rode a K12S on Saturday and really liked it. It was more comfortable than my CBR (had stock bars on it) and was powerful enough. With bar risers it will be even better. Thanks for the insight gr8ful, sounds like you have yours set up just like I would like mine. Starting to get a little excited here with the thought of a new (more comfortable) cycle!
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 5:10 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO1ZX6R
thought I would post an update - I'm going to pick up a '05 1200S on Saturday from a guy in Georgia. it's a one owner bike, silver with good mods already done. throttle lock, screen, bars and risers, Remus pipe, tank bag; it has all of the goodies, ESA, ABS, heated grips. I'm pretty excited to ride it home!

so do any forum members want to buy a CBR1000? or know of anyone who might? it's very very clean, never down, never tracked, one owner, garage kept with tasteful mods. I'm asking $5600. pls pm me for add'l info.
You need to post it in the classifieds. Let me know when it gets there and I'll delete this post so we don't run a sales thread in here. Thanks!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 3:42 pm Thread Starter

sure - will do. I'm posting it now. thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in