08 Gt Price - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 4:40 pm Thread Starter

08 Gt Price

I was quoted an out the door price of 21k for an 08 GT.
Do you see that as a fair price.
Has most popular options, no alarm, no safety
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 5:23 pm
Super Moderator

Re: 08 Gt Price

Yep,that's a pretty goodprice if it has all the heated stuff, ESA, Xenon headlight, etc. No TPM, alarm or ASC is fine, and you'll probably be happier without it.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 7:54 pm

Just got mine on tuesday. 21K loaded with no alarm but everything ealse I hope this help. David, did you get your top box painted? and how much$$$ Max BMW charges 300. I think is high or is it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)

post #4 of 42 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 8:59 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedr
Just got mine on tuesday. 21K loaded with no alarm but everything ealse I hope this help. David, did you get your top box painted? and how much$$$ Max BMW charges 300. I think is high or is it?
I'm getting mine painted this week. $300 for me, too, so that seems to be the running price. Click on the link below for the webcam at the body shop, you can watch it go through the process!

http://www.mountainviewautobody.com/milogonework.html

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #5 of 42 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 9:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I'm getting mine painted this week. $300 for me, too, so that seems to be the running price. Click on the link below for the webcam at the body shop, you can watch it go through the process!
I like Ohio prices better for all this stuff. My topbox cost $175 out-the-door to get it painted to match my '06 Deep Blue Metallic.
post #6 of 42 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 9:27 pm

well, I like 175 better but is a long drive to Ohio. I wonder if it is the paint blue is not as fast as silver

I guess I will be doing some shopping

BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)

Last edited by spinedr; Apr 12th, 2008 at 9:38 pm.
post #7 of 42 Old Apr 16th, 2008, 3:29 pm

that seems reasonable - a few weeks ago I was in the local BMW cycle dealership and they quoted me $22k w/EAS, ABS, heated grips and seat, and cases. don't remember if this included the top case or not. not sure if you're interested in pre-owned or not but I've been looking at cycle trader and there are a few GT's out there ('06 & '07) for around $16-17k. most of them have all of the good options too. good luck in your search.
post #8 of 42 Old Apr 18th, 2008, 4:39 am

Try $26,000 for a basic uk model or $30,000 with the bells and whistles! and gas is now $11.50 a gallon! Welcome to the UK.
post #9 of 42 Old Jun 16th, 2008, 2:05 pm

I bught mine in late April and it was 20K out the door and had everything inclucing TPM and ASC. Hope this helps.
post #10 of 42 Old Jun 16th, 2008, 7:06 pm

Just paid $21,300 for loaded 08 GT at Cliffs BMW, CT.

Laurence Hendrick

2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite (Oh my, so fast!)
2005 LT Ocean Blue (Sold and comfort will be missed, but not the weight)
post #11 of 42 Old Jun 16th, 2008, 8:04 pm

Thumbs up Re: 08 Gt Robbery

No offence to you guys with a GT but BMW is robbing you blind. Yes the FJR is a steal at $9000 less. Good luck with the EWS and FDWT.

Flame suit on. 8^}

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #12 of 42 Old Jun 16th, 2008, 8:19 pm

Re: 08 Gt Robbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
No offence to you guys with a GT but BMW is robbing you blind. Yes the FJR is a steal at $9000 less. Good luck with the EWS and FDWT.

Flame suit on. 8^}
You want to meander down that path, you can buy a Roadstar for considerable less than an LT.

Ride the FJR and then the GT and then tell me there isn't a huge difference.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 42 Old Jun 16th, 2008, 8:20 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:

Flame suit on. 8^}

Crawl back under your bridge.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #14 of 42 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 6:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
You want to meander down that path, you can buy a Roadstar for considerable less than an LT.

Ride the FJR and then the GT and then tell me there isn't a huge difference.
As I said no offence, In my opinion BMW is overcharging for the GT. The GT is a great bike. I feel the difference between the GT and the competition, FJR and Connie is debateable. I have rode all 3 and there performance level is comparable.

Grif, Roadstar to LT. Good one.

So if BMW can get 21-22 K for the GT any projections on new LT price ? I think we could be looking at 30 K for the new LT.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #15 of 42 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 6:36 am

Quote:
Crawl back under your bridge.
Not trolling, I was just making a observation. Sorry to upset you.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #16 of 42 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:44 am

Quote:
As I said no offence, In my opinion BMW is overcharging for the GT. The GT is a great bike. I feel the difference between the GT and the competition, FJR and Connie is debateable. I have rode all 3 and there performance level is comparable.

Grif, Roadstar to LT. Good one.

So if BMW can get 21-22 K for the GT any projections on new LT price ? I think we could be looking at 30 K for the new LT.
No offense taken.

The FJR is a completely different animal, hell, on the GT the hassock front end, ESA, the brakes and the engine are well worth the price of admission.

You ride a BMW, I don't have to tell you. The fit, finish and engineering blow the other brands away. I gladly paid for the GT without flinching.

If the dollar doesn't strengthen up, the new LT will be pricey. BUT, it will be worth every penny. Wait till you see the toys on it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #17 of 42 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 12:25 pm

Quote:
No offense taken.

The FJR is a completely different animal, hell, on the GT the hassock front end, ESA, the brakes and the engine are well worth the price of admission.

You ride a BMW, I don't have to tell you. The fit, finish and engineering blow the other brands away. I gladly paid for the GT without flinching.

If the dollar doesn't strengthen up, the new LT will be pricey. BUT, it will be worth every penny. Wait till you see the toys on it.
Very subjective Grif, You know me I've been riding BMW's for a long time now.
While I agree with you on the Hassock and ESA, I like the FJR's power plant a little better than the new K engine. The FJR's clutch, transmission and looks are a HUGE improvement over the BMW. Brakes are about a draw, as well as the comfort, the GT has a little more leg protection. As far as maintenance the FJR wins hands down, reliability well will see. The two areas that the GT is clearly superior is cruise control and heat management. Even with the improvements in the FJR's heat management, it can still get hot.
When I decided to go back to a sport tourer the GT just didn't do it for me, again subjective. The price was a factor but it really came down to looks, maintenance (ease to work on), cost of parts - like a $17 BMW spark plugs. The FJR won me over by the over all feel and a smooth transmission and tight clutch.
I in no way think that anyone's getting ripped off by buying a GT. The Dollar is suffering so much right now and I believe BMW is doing all they can to make up the difference but that only can go so far. To me giving up things like the ESA, Hassock and cruise for the clutch, transmission and ease of maintenance was the right thing for me. (Not going to mention the EWS).
It's all subjective, Buy and ride what you like.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #18 of 42 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 4:47 pm

Ok John, I consider you a real good bud, but you've lost touch with reality.

The thang twixt the GT and the FJR, at the end of the day, when the dust settles is.....

I'm able to keep you in my crosshairs now, bitch!!!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #19 of 42 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 5:07 pm

I have ridden both...IMHO...the only reason to buy FJR is the$$$$$'sss.
And we all know that by and by...BMW people for the most part are ...CHHHHHEEEEEPPPP!
If I didn't have a SO that wanted to ride a little ...I would have the GT!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #20 of 42 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 6:07 pm

Quote:
Ok John, I consider you a real good bud, but you've lost touch with reality.

The thang twixt the GT and the FJR, at the end of the day, when the dust settles is.....

I'm able to keep you in my crosshairs now, bitch!!!
Ya so? I havn't seen reality in quite a while......
But at the end of the day if I'm in your crosshairs, I'm still in front Bitch!

John & Cathy
Northern CA

Posse #2

post #21 of 42 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 6:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
Ya so? I havn't seen reality in quite a while......
Well, yeah.... there's that.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #22 of 42 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 11:58 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
You're on, John. We just gotta figure out where and when.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #23 of 42 Old Jun 18th, 2008, 12:39 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not trolling, I was just making a observation. Sorry to upset you.
Not upset, just having some fun myself.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #24 of 42 Old Jun 18th, 2008, 5:54 am

Quote:
Not upset, just having some fun myself.
Quit when you need glasses!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #25 of 42 Old Jun 18th, 2008, 9:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
You're on, John. We just gotta figure out where and when.
Hi Ken,
I'll probably take a pass on that, I've ridden with you before. Your missing that part of your brain that knows when to say when.

John & Cathy
Northern CA

Posse #2

post #26 of 42 Old Jun 18th, 2008, 10:28 am

Quote:
Hi Ken,
I'll probably take a pass on that, I've ridden with you before. Your missing that part of your brain that knows when to say when.
Oh, look who's talking! I'll never forget that HDDC run where I had the LT so loaded with fuel from bouncing off the rev limiter that it was shooting flame out the Remus on decompress.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #27 of 42 Old Jun 18th, 2008, 10:32 am

Quote:
Oh, look who's talking! I'll never forget that HDDC run where I had the LT so loaded with fuel from bouncing off the rev limiter that it was shooting flame out the Remus on decompress.
I've reformed.
somewhat
Wanta buy a bridge?

John & Cathy
Northern CA

Posse #2

post #28 of 42 Old Jun 18th, 2008, 12:50 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Hi Ken,
Wait, are you saying that Grif is easy? Or just easier than me?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #29 of 42 Old Jun 18th, 2008, 4:11 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:

Flame suit on. 8^}
Define $9000?

The EWS failures are way too common, I don't know what a FDWT is.

The MSRP on the FJR is $13,899
The MSRP on the GT is $18,650

The difference is $4721

To get to a $9000 difference on the GT you would be getting
  • Tire pressure monitoring
  • Automatic Stability Control
  • Cruise Control
  • HID headlight
  • Heated Seats
  • Heated Grips
  • Electronic Suspension Adjustment

I have enjoyed extensive saddle time on 3 different FJR 1300s - a 2004, a 2005 and a 2008. For me, I like the side cases a lot better on the GT. I think they have more capacity and they are less fussy to detach and attach. If you opt for the large trunk on the GT (for more $), you end up with amazing total luggage capacity. The suspension on the GT works a lot better for me (even without ESA). It is much less likely to get upset, going into a corner a little too hot over less than perfect pavement. The virtual absence of brake dive on the GT is a clear advantage. I like the engine character, heat management and wind protection better on the GT. The heat management on the second generation FJR is better, but still not up to the GT. I am not particularly thrilled with the transmission on my GT, but the '08 models are much better. I found the transmissions on the '04 and '05 FJRs to be a little notchy as well, better on the '08. I do like having the extra gear on the GT.

The FJR is a very good bike and at a savings of $4721 is a good value, but for me the BMW is a more rewarding bike to ride. Am I being 'robbed' of $4700? Not when I pay the difference willingly. But I might be a little blind

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #30 of 42 Old Jun 18th, 2008, 5:01 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quit when you need glasses!
Please ship the new keyboard to...

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #31 of 42 Old Jun 18th, 2008, 9:51 pm

Soooooo, we all obviously have too much time on our hands/key boards to pick over the details of better or worse.

All bikes now available are good, Beamers are GREAT! Depends on what you want to pay for.

My grandfather having been a harley guy, and being raised around the brand, I thought I'd never ride anything else on the street...............until my Electraglide blew up a $650.00 tow to anywhere on a 100 deg. and 2 hour wait, day. With the repair bill at 4K and 4 months away, (they had to make new cases) I bought a LT on a whim thinking I'd trade it the next year and get an 88. Well, I have never owned a Harley since and finally having sold the LT in 07 after 7 years of fun because the wifley one doesn't want to ride anymore I bought a GT.

Having owned GSXR's, Aprilia's, Cagivia's etc. I can say this is the best all around bike I have owned. And, wow is the thing sneaky fast!

I was told that if you ever own a BMW you will never go back and now know it is true.

My $.02 from WA
post #32 of 42 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 6:50 am

Smile Re: 08 Gt Robbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Define $9000?

The EWS failures are way too common, I don't know what a FDWT is.

The MSRP on the FJR is $13,899
The MSRP on the GT is $18,650

The difference is $4721

To get to a $9000 difference on the GT you would be getting
  • Tire pressure monitoring
  • Automatic Stability Control
  • Cruise Control
  • HID headlight
  • Heated Seats
  • Heated Grips
  • Electronic Suspension Adjustment

I have enjoyed extensive saddle time on 3 different FJR 1300s - a 2004, a 2005 and a 2008. For me, I like the side cases a lot better on the GT. I think they have more capacity and they are less fussy to detach and attach. If you opt for the large trunk on the GT (for more $), you end up with amazing total luggage capacity. The suspension on the GT works a lot better for me (even without ESA). It is much less likely to get upset, going into a corner a little too hot over less than perfect pavement. The virtual absence of brake dive on the GT is a clear advantage. I like the engine character, heat management and wind protection better on the GT. The heat management on the second generation FJR is better, but still not up to the GT. I am not particularly thrilled with the transmission on my GT, but the '08 models are much better. I found the transmissions on the '04 and '05 FJRs to be a little notchy as well, better on the '08. I do like having the extra gear on the GT.

The FJR is a very good bike and at a savings of $4721 is a good value, but for me the BMW is a more rewarding bike to ride. Am I being 'robbed' of $4700? Not when I pay the difference willingly. But I might be a little blind
Randy thanks for your impression on the two bikes. The telelever suspension does have great antidive qualities but break dive does not bother me.You clearly defined the $9000 difference in your post. Most GT owners appear to opt for the Equipment Package at $2095 so that brings the bike to just under 21K. In my area one can obtain 08 FJR for 12,500.

I plan to see what 09 brings perhaps the FJR will have factory HID headlights. I would not rule out a GT but I would have to special order one . I would prefer the Equipment package without the ESA.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #33 of 42 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 8:25 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Randy thanks for your impression on the two bikes. The telelever suspension does have great antidive qualities but break dive does not bother me.You clearly defined the $9000 difference in your post. Most GT owners appear to opt for the Equipment Package at $2095 so that brings the bike to just under 21K. In my area one can obtain 08 FJR for 12,500.

I plan to see what 09 brings perhaps the FJR will have factory HID headlights. I would not rule out a GT but I would have to special order one . I would prefer the Equipment package without the ESA.
You certainly wouldn't be disappointed with either bike - they are both very good bikes.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #34 of 42 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 9:00 am

Quote:
I would prefer the Equipment package without the ESA.
Actually ESA is one of the best aspects of the bike, and after experiencing it, I don't want another bike without it. How much do you want to bet that the new LT will have it?

To be able to adjust the suspension according to road conditions and the way you're riding by touching a button is nothing short of amazing. The options are comfort, normal and sport.

When you're stopped, by pushing the same button, you can adjust the preload for one up, one up with luggage, two up and two up with luggage.

Once again, you ride a BMW, you paid for a BMW and I'm not understanding how you throw rocks at us that have paid the price for a BMW when you could have saved money on your LT by buying another brand.

For me, the GT combines the best of both world's in my riding aspect. I can ride long distance, 1,000 mile days are easy, and when I get to where I'm going I can rip twisties like nobody's business.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #35 of 42 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 3:02 pm

+1 on ESA

Quote:
Actually ESA is one of the best aspects of the bike, and after experiencing it, I don't want another bike without it. How much do you want to bet that the new LT will have it?
Total agreement here. ESA is worth every penny.

I hope they improve it though. ESA + some manual adjustment for rider weight would make it a much better system. Even if it's only rear preload that's tweakable, it'd still be an improvement over the current ESA.

I also know I'm going to be annoyed they wear out too. I had the factory shock on my last bike rebuilt by a local company, I may look into seeing if they'll do that for the GT. How hard can it be to build an ESA-compatible shock that's rebuildable?
post #36 of 42 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 3:54 pm
Just ridin'

Re: +1 on ESA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
I also know I'm going to be annoyed they wear out too. I had the factory shock on my last bike rebuilt by a local company, I may look into seeing if they'll do that for the GT. How hard can it be to build an ESA-compatible shock that's rebuildable?
Check this post from last year.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #37 of 42 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 5:46 pm

Quote:
Once again, you ride a BMW, you paid for a BMW and I'm not understanding how you throw rocks at us that have paid the price for a BMW when you could have saved money on your LT by buying another brand.

For me, the GT combines the best of both world's in my riding aspect. I can ride long distance, 1,000 mile days are easy, and when I get to where I'm going I can rip twisties like nobody's business.
Sorry Grif was not throwing rocks. I noted in a prior post if I were to order the GT I would order the Equipment pack with out the ESA. I like the concept but I tend to put alot of miles on the bikes as most of us do. I know the shocks will be trash with in 30K miles. The money I save would go directly to Ohlins.
Randy noted Works performance can refit the ESA with there shocks. Great products but Works historically sets up the shocks to soft.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #38 of 42 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 6:46 pm

Quote:
Sorry Grif was not throwing rocks. I noted in a prior post if I were to order the GT I would order the Equipment pack with out the ESA. I like the concept but I tend to put alot of miles on the bikes as most of us do. I know the shocks will be trash with in 30K miles. The money I save would go directly to Ohlins.
Randy noted Works performance can refit the ESA with there shocks. Great products but Works historically sets up the shocks to soft.
Nada to be sorry about.

Meese has about 50k now and the only thing he's bitching about is the tire sensors have gotten hinky. The way that boy rides, he'd surely know if his shocks are cratering.

I know a lot of folks have hesitated about getting ESA simply because of replacement costs. I think the longer they're around the more options we'll have. Especially when the new LT shows up with it.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #39 of 42 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 8:20 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Well, I put 83K miles on my stock LT shocks, so what do I know?

I will say that I've been running the shocks on the harder settings lately, even when riding solo. But that's a simple push of the ESA button, so no biggie there.

A standard front shock is $670, standard rear is $958. The ESA versions are $1,097 front and $2,457 rear.

Works can rebuild the ESA shocks for $500 and $750, although I believe that you lose the ability to set the preload from the ESA button (adjusting the damping still works while moving though). They're less than an hour from my house, so I'll have to drop by and ask them about it (if I'm ever home long enough, that is).

I'd like to ride a lower mileage GT as a comparison but so far, mine still feels well planted in the corners and it soaks up rough roads just fine. Maybe I'll replace them when I get to 100K next year.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Last edited by meese; Jun 19th, 2008 at 8:26 pm.
post #40 of 42 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 8:22 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I haven't found any reference to a tire sensor battery in the online parts fiches. Guess I'll have to ask the dealer about that one.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #41 of 42 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 8:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I haven't found any reference to a tire sensor battery in the online parts fiches. Guess I'll have to ask the dealer about that one.
Just watch it be one of those thangs that you have to throw the whole shittarree away and buy a new wheel unit.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #42 of 42 Old Jun 21st, 2008, 1:45 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Just watch it be one of those thangs that you have to throw the whole shittarree away and buy a new wheel unit.
Maybe it uses those non-replaceable iPod batteries. There goes $144 and $130 every year or so.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in