Handlebar Adjustment Tool Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 5:37 pm Thread Starter

Handlebar Adjustment Tool Question

Please keep in mind I am a wrenching neophyte.

I've read a lot about adjusting the handlebars. Most folks have referenced the 45mm Torx tool under the passenger seat being the tool to use. However, on my '08 GT, the size is more like 40mm. The 45mm is just too big.

That's not a problem since I have various sizes for days gone by, but I'm looking for a tool set that is small enough to get between the adjustment screws and the dashboard.

I got a torque wrench today, which is huge, and when the torx heads (forgive my terminology) are attached it does not allow for a straight shot.

Anyone have any links to tools made specifically to work on our bikes. Small, but versatile is the key.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 10:27 pm

Re: Handlebar Adjustment Tool Question

I use standard craftsman tools...key is you have to turn your handlebars full left/right to get better access to the backside of the torx bolts.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #3 of 22 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 12:55 am
Super Moderator

I used a Craftsman 3/8 ratchet and socket to change mine out when I installed the GPS mount. You jest need to loosen them to adjust the bars, so just turn the front wheel to the side a bit to give your wrench more clearance.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 5:54 am Thread Starter

Florian and David,

Thank you for that tip. I would have never thought of turning the handlebars to gain better access. I know it's scary, but that's just the way I'm wired (no pun intended).

Thanks again,
Steve
post #5 of 22 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 9:35 am

And for road use you may want to purchase the folding style (like a Swiss Army knife) of assortment of Torx. Any hardware store carries this. This small version can be stored under the seat adding to the two tool BMW toll kit BMW Tool Kit....now that's funny.
post #6 of 22 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Back again.

Was able to use existing tools to reach the screws and avoid hitting the dash by turning handlesbars to the right and left. So far so good.

Was able to loosen the screws, until they would turn no further. Saw the teeth that hold the handlebars in place, but wasn't able to totally disengage them from the handlebar notches.

My shop mounted the Zumo 550 with the ZTech mount (I think it was Ztech), and it looks like there is a spacer between the handlebar and the Ztech mount.

Before I drove the bike home, my dealer did adjust the handlebars to the highest position, so I know it came be down.

What am I missing?

I'm going in for my 600 mile service tomorrow, but I really think adjusting the handlebar height is something I should be able to do.

So, what do I need to do to totally disengage the adjustment teeth (for lack of a better name), from the handle bar.

My owner's manual isn't much help. On page 68, it says, "Handlebar adjustment should be done by a BMW certified mechanic." The only picture is the notches in the handlebar.

Thanks. I'm getting there, one modification at at time.
post #7 of 22 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 11:21 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwgt
And for road use you may want to purchase the folding style (like a Swiss Army knife) of assortment of Torx. Any hardware store carries this. This small version can be stored under the seat adding to the two tool BMW toll kit BMW Tool Kit....now that's funny.
Thanks. Will pick one of those up to supplement the minimalist toolkit.
post #8 of 22 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 1:18 pm

My guess is that you need to release some of the natural pressure being exerted in the bars from all the cables and connections. Wiggle it...it should go down the toothed notches.

There isn't any other farkles mounts getting in the way is there?
post #9 of 22 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 2:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwgt
My guess is that you need to release some of the natural pressure being exerted in the bars from all the cables and connections. Wiggle it...it should go down the toothed notches.

There isn't any other farkles mounts getting in the way is there?
No luck .

I've wiggled, jiggled, and every other iggle, in every direction. Can't lower the bar.

Problem seems to be the third tooth at the bottom. When I pull the bars toward me, the front two teeth release, but when I push the bar towards the dashboard, the third tooth is still engaged.

I've moved cables out of their clips to make more wiggle room (sorry), but can't figure out why no luck.

I am correct that there are only two torx screws to loosen, the ones facing the dash, right?

The dealer will lower them tomorrow, but I was hoping to be able to ride today with them lowered (it's a great day here). It's just frustrating to be stopped midway in the task at hand.

I don't want to wear out my welcome, but I am certainly open to any other suggestion you may have.

Thanks for taking the time to help. It is greatly appreciated.
post #10 of 22 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 2:06 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I'm not sure how your Zumo bracket changes things, but from the factory the handlebar adjustment bolts have some safety cap nuts on the back end. If these are still in place, then you could loosen the bolts but they will stop turning before the teeth are fully disengaged.

So look under the black plastic cover on the backside of the handlebars (or maybe under your Zumo bracket).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 22 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 2:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I'm not sure how your Zumo bracket changes things, but from the factory the handlebar adjustment bolts have some safety cap nuts on the back end. If these are still in place, then you could loosen the bolts but they will stop turning before the teeth are fully disengaged.

You might want to check that.
I'm headed to the garage right now. Thanks.
post #12 of 22 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

Here's what I've got. Figured pictures and explanation may help you help me.

This piece of black plastic faces the driver. There are two small torx screws. The one on the right is stripped, so I'm not messing with these. Not sure if loosening this plate will help anything, but just included it to leave no stone unturned.

The rest of the pictures are different angle of the Torx adjusting screws, and the Zumo on its mount:

The back of the Zumo and its mounting bracket. Torx adjustment screws seen.

Zumo shot from the top.

Side of the Zumo and mounting bracket.

And finally, a shot of the Zumo extended.
post #13 of 22 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 2:46 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefeb
This piece of black plastic faces the driver. There are two small torx screws. The one on the right is stripped, so I'm not messing with these. Not sure if loosening this plate will help anything, but just included it to leave no stone unturned.
From the factory, the two safety cap nuts are located under this black plastic. So you'd have to remove it to get to them.

Your Zumo mount obviously uses longer bolts than the factory ones, so the cap nuts may or may not still be used. I'm afraid that you're gonna have to get that black plastic cover off and look underneath.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 22 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 2:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
From the factory, the two safety cap nuts are located under this black plastic. So you'd have to remove it to get to them.

Your Zumo mount obviously uses longer bolts than the factory ones, so the cap nuts may or may not still be used. I'm afraid that you're gonna have to get that black plastic cover off and look underneath.
Oh boy! I'll be the tech stripped the threads when they adjusted the bars up when I took delivery of the bike.

I got the left screw off and was able to see under the plate. You're right there was the safety cap nut, well in this case a bolt probably to accomodate the Zumo. Now, if I can remove the stripped screw I can lower the bar.

Hmmm....any suggestions on how to remove a stripped torx screw?

Last edited by stefeb; Apr 8th, 2008 at 3:03 pm.
post #15 of 22 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 3:15 pm

Take a dremel and cut a slot in it for a flat bladed screw driver. You can also pound the next size in it with a hammer.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #16 of 22 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 3:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Take a dremel and cut a slot in it for a flat bladed screw driver. You can also pound the next size in it with a hammer.
Thanks. I managed to remove the screw by grabbing the head with a needle nose plier, and slowly removed it.

Now that the black cover is removed, I see the cap nuts. Am I now to loosen them? And, if so, do I have to hold the torx screw in place as I looosen each cap nut?

And finally, will this ever end...How many pounds of torque to tighten up when done?

Thanks.
post #17 of 22 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 4:55 pm

Just remember the definition of torque: tighten it till it just strips and back it out 3/4 of a turn.

I just put a leetle lean on it and call it done, myself. And no, it never ends. And yes, if one side turns while you turn the other, grab holt of it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #18 of 22 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Just remember the definition of torque: tighten it till it just strips and back it out 3/4 of a turn.

I just put a leetle lean on it and call it done, myself. And no, it never ends. And yes, if one side turns while you turn the other, grab holt of it.
Got it. Thanks.

Success

Once I loosened the cap nuts, the bars went down with no problem.

I could have never done this without all your help. Thank you so much.

It feels so good to know that I can actually do something mechanical on my bike. First the Sargent seat installation, and now this. Wow! I've never done anything like this in my life, and I cannot tell you how confident I feel.

What's more, I learned a great deal about that part of the bike, and now I can share that knowledge with someone else.

The ride is better with the bars all the way down, and a video with soon be forthcoming, on my other thread.

Thanks again to all you folks who helped and were patient with me with my newbie questions.
post #19 of 22 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 6:51 pm

I love it! Great feeling, huh? Before you know it, you'll have your gearage decked out with a stereo and will be out there late at night adding farkles. Next thang we'll talk you thru an oil change.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #20 of 22 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 6:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I love it! Great feeling, huh? Before you know it, you'll have your gearage decked out with a stereo and will be out there late at night adding farkles. Next thang we'll talk you thru an oil change.
LOL.

Oil change, not that would be something.
post #21 of 22 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 9:42 am

Don't worry about oil changes.

It actually quite easy but time consuming if you just do the slow tank drain method.
post #22 of 22 Old Jul 10th, 2013, 8:18 pm

Hey guys, I'm following this thread and I get most of it. I can see the original handlebar adjuster bolt. Both sides. I took off the plastic cover. Now my problem, I cant seem to get the cap nut off of the adjuster bolt. Could it be overly torqued on? How do I remove without stripping anything?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in