The brake pad 'wear sensors' on the GT... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 11:37 pm Thread Starter

Question The brake pad 'wear sensors' on the GT...

Any way to simply eliminate these silly things? Frankly, I view these things as nothing more than a point of failure waiting to happen. Brake pad inspection on a bike is so simple, I just don't 'get it'.

I'm getting ready to change the rear pads and wonder if anyone has eliminated theirs as of yet? I guess I could just zip-tie them up out of the way. Hhmmn...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 6:00 am

Garage
Re: The brake pad 'wear sensors' on the GT...

Yes, as long as the loop created by these wires is not interrupted.

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 6:33 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®win
Yes, as long as the loop created by these wires is not interrupted.
That's what I thought. I could just splice the current sensors together, I suppose.

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 6:43 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
That's what I thought. I could just splice the current sensors together, I suppose.
Don't know what you mean by that. There is one sensor at the front brake and one at the rear brake. The sensor is nothing more than a two core wire where the ends are connected into a piece of plastic. Just remove the piece of plastic from the brake pad and zip tie the wire somewhere onto the frame where it can't be damaged. That way you'll keep the loop intact and the wire won't break by wear.

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 7:39 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Don't know what you mean by that.
The sensor on my rear pads was a bit worn, but not down to the wire. But just to make sure, I could cut that sensor portion off and splice the two wires together so that the circuit is completed.

When I sell the bike, I will have to advise the buyer of my alteration ... or simply install a new sensor.

Thanks for the confirmation.
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 7:55 am

Or, unplug it and stick a piece of wire in the plug at the bike end.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 12:07 pm

How many miles did you go before the brake light came on? Mine just did it at 8500 and the sensors don't look like they are rubbing yet, but close. I hope this is not a trend with brake pad wear, 2 sets of pads to a set of tires.

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 12:30 pm

I've got 20k with the light never coming on, nor changing pads.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 2:25 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankshot
How many miles did you go before the brake light came on? Mine just did it at 8500 and the sensors don't look like they are rubbing yet, but close. I hope this is not a trend with brake pad wear, 2 sets of pads to a set of tires.
Sounds like the known problem of the sensor wire breaking but the pads still being good. Take it to your dealer for a warranty fix.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 13 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 6:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Sounds like the known problem of the sensor wire breaking but the pads still being good. Take it to your dealer for a warranty fix.
It happened to my K1200GT at 5400 miles. I visually inspected the brake pads and they look brand new. Warranty repair is scheduled on Tuesday. 'Course, I never use the brakes. I just swerve around all the obstacles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbY0Jh9_RJ8

post #11 of 13 Old May 20th, 2008, 8:53 am

I have had my bike back at the dealer 4x and they can not seem to get the brake sensor light to go away. They have tried replacing the sensor (rear) and I have pulled the sensors off the brake pads and tied them up, but the sensor comes back on within 10 miles after clearing it. Neither of the sensors have worn through the plastic and wire. My gt has 24K miles. I am beginning to believe we are barking up the wrong tree. there must be a bad wire or connector in the system? In any case, I am getting an attitude about bmw developing an answer when there was no question. Visual inspection of the brake pads is easily done and part of the service. Just like the electronic oil check. It is pretty tough to LOOK at a oil sight glass! I think maybe i bought the wrong motorcycle and need to find a brand that will "keep it simple".
post #12 of 13 Old May 20th, 2008, 11:05 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemartin
I have had my bike back at the dealer 4x and they can not seem to get the brake sensor light to go away. They have tried replacing the sensor (rear) and I have pulled the sensors off the brake pads and tied them up, but the sensor comes back on within 10 miles after clearing it. Neither of the sensors have worn through the plastic and wire. My gt has 24K miles. I am beginning to believe we are barking up the wrong tree. there must be a bad wire or connector in the system?
Not the plastic end is the culprit, but the wire to it is. It is zip-tied too tightly, causing the wire to break. Your dealer will either have to repair the wire or replace it. Only then they must reset the computer. Failing to repair / replace the wire will let the light come on time after time...

Let them check both front and rear brakepad wear indicators.

Erwin

post #13 of 13 Old May 20th, 2008, 8:16 pm
fas

Talking Re: The brake pad 'wear sensors' on the GT...

Quote:
Not the plastic end is the culprit, but the wire to it is. It is zip-tied too tightly, causing the wire to break. Your dealer will either have to repair the wire or replace it. Only then they must reset the computer. Failing to repair / replace the wire will let the light come on time after time...

Let them check both front and rear brakepad wear indicators.

Pad thickness is easy to inspect. But, be mindful of tapered wear, both axial and radial. As long as you have warranty coverage, get the thing fixed at the dealership.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in