Doooooh! Stupid me...bike fell over - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

Doooooh! Stupid me...bike fell over

Yep...loaded up for a trip south the Ken Meese on Friday morning. Left it on the driveway, slight slant....stupid me. Went inside and when I came out. It was taking a nap, lying down on concrete.

Here's the damage...all cosmetic...shows character now I think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 4:23 pm
Super Moderator

Re: Doooooh! Stupid me...bike fell over

That sucks. I think the bug guts are adding a lot of character, too.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 5:57 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Yeah, I hated to see that, Mike. But tell me, how are your horns?

Guess I really need to get moving on my bra pattern for the GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
That sucks. I think the bug guts are adding a lot of character, too.
In that case, I've got more character than all y'all combined.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 6:41 pm

It has been a long while since I have posted or replied! Hi everyone!

Well don't feel too bad. My 02 LTE and me fell over last night at a stop sign. Stopped at the stop sign. Planted both feet, or so I thought. The street had a slant to my right and my bike started to lean to the right. My wife was on the back which just helped to keep the lean going. I couldn't get my right leg to handle the load and in slow motion....down we go. My right J-Peg punched through the lower fairing, which is only noticable if you are level with the j-peg and extend it. Some slight crinkling on the rear side bag plastic chrome piece. But nothing like the character you have!

More is the loss of ego and self-esteem for falling off my bike! A sore knee and a sore right elbow where I caught all the weight as we were going down!

At least it was at night and there was no one to see us except US! lol

And the wife wasn't even hurt! Of course that wasn't verified until after I had surveyed the bike! She wasn't complaining so I figured she was ok!

Yea and if ya'll believe she would have let me check the bike out before checking her out, if she was hurt, well we all know how that story would have ended.

So to right the LTE I put the kick stand down, placed my butt up against the bike on the right side, got my grip points and dead lifted her back to verticle. Impressed the wife to say the least! Although she would have been more impressed if I hadn't caused her to fall off the bike in the first place. Her silence was actually was than if she had said anything!

So at some point I'll buy another right side lower fairing (silver or magnesium color-what ever is the right one for the Champagne 02 LTE) and become characterless again! Or I might just not replace it and if any one ask me if iI can prove that is my LTE I can say, "yep that is my bike!" And I can prove it by describing the j-peg induced hole!

But the nice thing is that she has told me that she will get me replacement parts, cause she knows how I like to keep my LTE looking good! Even nicer if she actually pays for them. But at least she has said I can replace them!

She likes riding on it also which helps!

Glad to hear that you didn't break the mirrors or bend any levers etc.
The body panels are expensive enough.....sigh!

Regards

Karl
"Riding in Houston is like riding in the middle of a stampead! The herd has no soul and is unforgiving!
post #5 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 8:05 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Bummer Karl, but at least no one was hurt.

Instead of replacing the lower fairing, you could simply round out the hole to make it neat and leave it for next time. Then do the other side, in case it takes a left-nap sometime later.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 8:13 pm

When you installed the Jpegs you should have cut those holes already !

That way when the eventual happened. You'd have pretty holes there already and no damage...

Glad it wasn't worse. I think the older style black rubber guards are the best.

You can just clean them up with a little sandpaper and you really can't tell how many times she's been dropped.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #7 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 8:18 pm

I am wondering if any of you have try to put the R & G Racing K1200GT Frame Sliders on a bike and see if damage can be minimize if dropped. I t will happened eventually and the panels are expensive.

BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #8 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 8:20 pm

Right J-peg

Karl, glad you and the wife came out ok. Mine tilted over on the right j-peg once, but I thought I had caught her before any damage. J-peg seemed to work fine until it fell off one day at about 70 mph in heavy Houston herd traffic inside lane.

Anyone know where I can buy a right J-peg and drill out the old bolt?

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #9 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 8:57 pm

I do like the suggestions regarding the holes! Makes a lot of sense. A project for this up coming weekend!

Cause one way or another tip overs do happen while mounted and not!

Thanks for the help!

Regards

Karl
post #10 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 9:15 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedr
I am wondering if any of you have try to put the R & G Racing K1200GT Frame Sliders on a bike and see if damage can be minimize if dropped. I t will happened eventually and the panels are expensive.
I've only seen one GT with frame sliders installed. You ca see pics in this thread. Don't know how effective they'd be in a drop though.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #11 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 9:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I've only seen one GT with frame sliders installed. You ca see pics in this thread. Don't know how effective they'd be in a drop though.
And they certainly would look stoopid on the side bags.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 13 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:18 am

SLTEX,

Which size J-Peg. The original size arm or the longer arm?

I might have the original size J-Peg arm. I'll check in the garage to see if I still have them. I changed out to the larger size about a year ago.

Karl

Sorry BB King, but "The Thrill is never gone!"
post #13 of 13 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 2:47 am

I did a very similar amount of damage to my KGT last September whilst in the south of France. Decided to replace damaged panels with new as the cost of repair was very close to the cost of new once the labour costs had been taken into account. The parts I replced were LHS pannier lid, LHS fairing panel, top fairing, LHS BMW roundel and LHS pannier lid "BMW" badge. Total for this including all taxes was 805 (about $1600 US).

Decided not to claim on my insurance due to the excess (deductible?) and subsequent increase in insurance premium that would certainly have followed

I too felt a bit stupid at the time, but all is fixed now and ready for the new season

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in