GT Tire Pressure - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:49 am Thread Starter

GT Tire Pressure

Thought some of you more experienced GT riders might have some suggestions. I'm running the Bridgestone 020's on the 08 GT. What tire pressure is suggested for the GT. On the LT it was run max tire pressure. On the GT should you run max suggested pressure or run some thing less?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 11:40 am
Super Moderator

Re: GT Tire Pressure

I'm running mine at 36F/42R (020s as well), but that's based on the dealer's setting and recommendation. I'm actually surprised that this tpoic hasn't come up before, but I, too, am interested to here what people are running and how they thing it's affecting their handling vs. tire life balance.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 11:49 am

count me as interested in this thread.

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:13 pm

I'm running mine a little higher (as I did on the LT). I've settled on running 40F/45R. Based on nothing but gut instinct. Perhaps as my gut decreases, so will my instinct.
post #5 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 1:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I'm running mine a little higher (as I did on the LT). I've settled on running 40F/45R. Based on nothing but gut instinct. Perhaps as my gut decreases, so will my instinct.
I was thinking 38/44, only because I think on my LT I ran two pounds over what the dealer said, and the tires seemed fine. No other reason than that.
post #6 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 1:38 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Perhaps as my gut decreases, so will my instinct.
Yeah, I hear you there.

I haven't been nearly as picky on the GT pressures as the LT, mostly because I'm going through tires so fast anyway. So 36-38 front and 42-44 rear seems fine for me.

I think we all need to pitch in a few $$ each and buy Shealey a GT. With his excellent technical insights I bet we'd have the full set of maintenance procedures detailed out in just a few months. And we'd more than make that back based on service cost savings alone.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 2:02 pm

I'm for that and I'll offer the first $500. donation towards doing it!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 4:25 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Yeah, I hear you there.

I haven't been nearly as picky on the GT pressures as the LT, mostly because I'm going through tires so fast anyway. So 36-38 front and 42-44 rear seems fine for me.

I think we all need to pitch in a few $$ each and buy Shealey a GT. With his excellent technical insights I bet we'd have the full set of maintenance procedures detailed out in just a few months. And we'd more than make that back based on service cost savings alone.
I like it! What happens when his wife shows up with the shotgun?

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #9 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 5:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmc
Thought some of you more experienced GT riders might have some suggestions. I'm running the Bridgestone 020's on the 08 GT. What tire pressure is suggested for the GT. On the LT it was run max tire pressure. On the GT should you run max suggested pressure or run some thing less?
I'm running 36/42. My thoughts on that are the softer the tire, the harder it sticks. With this bike, I'm wanting stick. The P2's are looking like they'll get 9k out of them with that pressure.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 6:16 pm

New to the forum, so am not certain I have much to contribute, but here goes. Running Bridgestones that came on the bike. I run 42 front and 40-44 rear depending on load. Most riding is winding two lane roads with some twisties. Bike handles beautifully with that tire pressure and sticks just fine in the wet. Tried lower front pressure ( 36-38) and got the feeling of plowing through corners. Over the years, I've found that it's sort of a personal thing. However, when I had my GS I ran similar pressure and got everything I needed, including 10K+ on the rear and 12K on the front. After about 4K on the GT, wear looks pretty fair and it doesn't seem to compromise anything.
So - I'll keep running that for the time being. Run what works best for you and your machine.
post #11 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 9:16 pm

38/44 here, which is how it came back from the dealer last time.

At least, that's what I fill it to when I haul out the pump. When it starts getting down towards 36/42 I fill again. I notice the front is usually the one that goes down the fastest right now, but I expect that changes with each set of tires.
post #12 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 9:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
38/44 here, which is how it came back from the dealer last time.

At least, that's what I fill it to when I haul out the pump. When it starts getting down towards 36/42 I fill again. I notice the front is usually the one that goes down the fastest right now, but I expect that changes with each set of tires.
There really should be no appreciable loss in pressure, except in extreme weather changes. When I change my tires, I clean the edges of the rim, ensuring a good seal and change the valve everytime. My tires rarely reflect a pound difference.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 9:54 pm

Exclamation Re: GT Tire Pressure

Be sure and replace the air at the 600 mile inspection and every 6000 miles after that. No synthetic air until after 6000 miles.

40 psi front
42 psi rear

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #14 of 16 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 11:05 pm

Iím running 38/40 on a set of Pilot Roads. But the 38/40 reading is cold, and is according to my digital tire pressure gage. Once I get rolling, and things heat up, the BC reads 40/42. I figure if Iím <10% from cold to hot reading Iím ok.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin -ó but making great time.
post #15 of 16 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 12:18 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I'm running 36/42. My thoughts on that are the softer the tire, the harder it sticks. With this bike, I'm wanting stick. The P2's are looking like they'll get 9k out of them with that pressure.
Funny, I thought you wanted STEEK!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #16 of 16 Old Apr 1st, 2008, 6:46 am

41-F, 46-B w/passenger...

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in