Break-in period for 08 GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 6:47 pm Thread Starter

Break-in period for 08 GT

This was posted on K-bikes site. Dose any one knows if GT's are pre-run in a dyno before delivery???
I am piking my GT 08 in one week if weather helps. I am wondering if I need to do a break-in

Originally Posted by stefeb
Hardest thing was keeping it below 4000rpm (per break-in instructions).

Humm, interesting. My dealer (San Jose BMW, SF Bay Area) said that there is no break-in period on a K-bike. He said every engine come pre-run on a dyno and you should just ride. Any comments?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 6:51 pm
BMW Guru

Re: Break-in period for 08 GT

Ride it like you stole it! Don't baby it and change the oil at 600 miles...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #3 of 13 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 7:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Ride it like you stole it! Don't baby it and change the oil at 600 miles...
'

Today, I did just that, and had a ball.

I often have a tendency to think things to death.

post #4 of 13 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 7:29 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedr
This was posted on K-bikes site. Dose any one knows if GT's are pre-run in a dyno before delivery???
I am piking my GT 08 in one week if weather helps. I am wondering if I need to do a break-in

Originally Posted by stefeb
Hardest thing was keeping it below 4000rpm (per break-in instructions).

Humm, interesting. My dealer (San Jose BMW, SF Bay Area) said that there is no break-in period on a K-bike. He said every engine come pre-run on a dyno and you should just ride. Any comments?

The dealer told me that they are run in on a dyno before shipping. If they survive that you ain't gonna hurt it unless you're drag it on a daily basis right after start up.

And +1 what Ted said, and he works at a dealer so you KNOW he's right!!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #5 of 13 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 8:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
The dealer told me that they are run in on a dyno before shipping. If they survive that you ain't gonna hurt it unless you're drag it on a daily basis right after start up.

And +1 what Ted said, and he works at a dealer so you KNOW he's right!!
David
I loved the picks from your bike so much that I change my mind on the color. I was going to get the graphite but order silver. I love the 49 lit box. Did you paint it Aventurin Silver Metallic or left it the light silver color?
I like to pick it up next week. There is so much controversy on the break-in period. Some one say in another tread to change oil after 20 miles?

They are installing the Autocom, BMW GPSIII that I had from my LT, 49 lt box, extra power plug, order tank and side tank protectors and Motolights that I had from my LT. After will look for a tank bag and maybe a different sit for my big butt

I will ride it like I stole it

Do you have any other advice?? I went from a 1100 Kawasaki LTD 83 to the 07 LT with 10 years in between. It was a scary at first but I loved that bike. My wife dose not ride with me, got her own bike now That is the only reason to go to the GT. Me alone with more power. I know that I am going to love it. Any help will be appreciated

BMWMOA # 130458

post #6 of 13 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 11:26 pm

Theyre ready to go from the factory. Theres a vid around here somewhere about a Discovery Channel special on BMW motorrad that shows the bikes getting a good hammering on the dyno before they ship em. They ride something like 40 miles on the dyno...every bike.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #7 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:43 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
David
I loved the picks from your bike so much that I change my mind on the color. I was going to get the graphite but order silver. I love the 49 lit box. Did you paint it Aventurin Silver Metallic or left it the light silver color?
I like to pick it up next week. There is so much controversy on the break-in period. Some one say in another tread to change oil after 20 miles?

They are installing the Autocom, BMW GPSIII that I had from my LT, 49 lt box, extra power plug, order tank and side tank protectors and Motolights that I had from my LT. After will look for a tank bag and maybe a different sit for my big butt

I will ride it like I stole it

Do you have any other advice?? I went from a 1100 Kawasaki LTD 83 to the 07 LT with 10 years in between. It was a scary at first but I loved that bike. My wife dose not ride with me, got her own bike now That is the only reason to go to the GT. Me alone with more power. I know that I am going to love it. Any help will be appreciated

Ahh, my powers reach far and wide!

I spent the weekend installing my Zumo 550 with XM radio, V1, J&M Integratr IV and Motolights Big Mak shelf and TechMount on mine. It's much happier with some farkles on it (or is that me). The topcase is still the stock silver, but I'm sending it out to be paint matched next week while I'm in Texas for work. So it will be the same color as the rest of the bike soon. I do like this color, it grows on me more every day.

As for advice - Enjoy the bike and all its power and handling, but stay within your limits, sometimes that racing herat is telling you more than you're having a good time. I've already given myself a couple of "Oh Sh!t" moments, and they come up much more quickly with the speed and power this baby has. Take some time to get used to it, it'll be worth it in the long run. Of course, it won't be nearly as much of a challenge passing Haybusas in the corners as it is on my 95 GS (which really pisses them off ).

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #8 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 1:46 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
As for advice - Enjoy the bike and all its power and handling, but stay within your limits, sometimes that racing heart is telling you more than you're having a good time.
Agreed. One of the main reasons I got rid of the LT is that I was constantly pushing its limits, and still wanting more. With the GT the ceiling has been raised significantly, so we're back to what I'm comfortable pushing, rather than the bike limiting things.

The great thing is that the GT still rides just fine in normal mode, cruising along and enjoying the scenery. But when you do want a bit more, it'll get you there right now in a fury of sound and motion.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 4:29 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Agreed. One of the main reasons I got rid of the LT is that I was constantly pushing its limits, and still wanting more. With the GT the ceiling has been raised significantly, so we're back to what I'm comfortable pushing, rather than the bike limiting things.

The great thing is that the GT still rides just fine in normal mode, cruising along and enjoying the scenery. But when you do want a bit more, it'll get you there right now in a fury of sound and motion.
I think that's a great description of why I changed over as well. And +1 on the toodling/cruising mode and jumping into hyperspace. I tend to bee bop along being fairly relaxed until I hit the twisties, then bump the ESA into Sport mode and haul a$$!!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #10 of 13 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

I am exited about picking the bike now It is going to be a long week. Temperature for the next weekend is high of 45. Dealer is 120 miles away from my house to North Hampton, NH, Max BMW. Thinking Gerbins, gloves and a nice cold ride home. I still have 5 feet of snow on the yard and lots of sand on the road. It will be a slow ride once I am in the mountains of Maine were my house is. It was mention possible snow on friday but hope that by saturday the roads are clean. Thank you for your help and advice

BMWMOA # 130458

post #11 of 13 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 9:52 pm

Cool Global cooling?

Quote:
I still have 5 feet of snow on the yard
Good grief Doc.
Can you see out your windows?

Break in---- just ride it!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #12 of 13 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 5:03 am

Quote:
I am exited about picking the bike now It is going to be a long week. Temperature for the next weekend is high of 45. Dealer is 120 miles away from my house to North Hampton, NH, Max BMW. Thinking Gerbins, gloves and a nice cold ride home. I still have 5 feet of snow on the yard and lots of sand on the road. It will be a slow ride once I am in the mountains of Maine were my house is. It was mention possible snow on friday but hope that by saturday the roads are clean. Thank you for your help and advice
You know that MAX will deliver the bike to you, right?

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #13 of 13 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:39 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak
You know that MAX will deliver the bike to you, right?
Yea!! but whats fun about that!! I have a walk out basement and the windows and door are half way up with snow in the back. About 3 feet under my windows at the front and the driveway is at 5 to 5.5 feet high due to the snow blowing. What a winter we had this year but the anticipation of good weather will make us enjoy it so much more If this weekend dose not clear will talk to Max to see if they can deliver next week.

BMWMOA # 130458

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in