Picked Up My New '08 GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Picked Up My New '08 GT

Picked up my new baby today and could not be happier. Hardest thing was keeping it below 4000rpm (per break-in instructions). Love everything about the bike...except the seat. Kept sliding forward at stops. Other than that, I'm happy.

Bought a Zumo 550, and had the dealer install and mount it. Also got the Centech AP-1, for future add-ons. I have Sargent seats on their way, and a Cee Bailey windshield. I think I'll be pretty much set once all the items are on the bike. Also got the 49L topcase.

Traded in my HD Ultra Classic, and it feels great to be able to shed the extra weight.

And, the handling, wow, simply amazing. You just have to think where you want to go, and the bike takes you there.

Tomorrow, will continue break-in, going to try for 200 mile day.

Any hints/tips/cautions from you existing owners, farkles, etc., is always appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 6:59 pm

Re: Picked Up My New '08 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefeb
Hardest thing was keeping it below 4000rpm (per break-in instructions).
That's odd. I ran my '06 GT up to redline pulling out of the dealer's parking lot for the first time. I guess you can say you and I have different "break-in philosophies".

Enjoy. You're only going to love it more & more as the miles roll by.
post #3 of 13 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Congrats! Your gonna love it. Some Techspec tank grippers will keep you from sliding around.

Be sure to check out www.k-bikes.com

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by grifscoots; Mar 29th, 2008 at 7:08 pm.

post #4 of 13 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 8:21 pm

Congrats!!!! I am waiting for my 08. I hope I can pick it up next week depending on weather. We had 4 inches of snow last night here in Maine . Let us know when you get your new Sargent seats and extras, give us nuvis a report I know that I am going to need a seat and a Cee Bailey windshield. What size did you order and let us know if you like it. Enjoy your ride on your new GT!!!

BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #5 of 13 Old Mar 29th, 2008, 8:25 pm

I will get the mate in a week

Eh Buddy, Congrats mucho! I pickup my 08 gt in a week. i am curious how they mounted the zumo as i have one too.I ordered the 49l,and a tank bag and plan to get an airhawk pad from aerostich for those longer days in the saddle.not sure about anything else now.anyways happy flyng, let me know where the radar detector goes.
post #6 of 13 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 7:02 am Thread Starter

Re: I will get the mate in a week

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddy
Eh Buddy, Congrats mucho! I pickup my 08 gt in a week. i am curious how they mounted the zumo as i have one too.I ordered the 49l,and a tank bag and plan to get an airhawk pad from aerostich for those longer days in the saddle.not sure about anything else now.anyways happy flyng, let me know where the radar detector goes.
They mounted the Zumo using the Tour-Tech mounting bracket. It's a little tight around the key area, and the Zumo blocks the BC, just a bit. Overall, I'm pleased with the installation.

The Tour-Tech mount is very versatile, and allows for a lot of changes to viewing angle.
post #7 of 13 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 7:06 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
That's odd. I ran my '06 GT up to redline pulling out of the dealer's parking lot for the first time. I guess you can say you and I have different "break-in philosophies".

Enjoy. You're only going to love it more & more as the miles roll by.
Ya know...I was in 6th gear, the rpm's were at 4,000, and I'm thinking..."I have to wait another 500 miles before I can go faster?"

On the way home from the dealer, I rode on all back country rodes shifting through all the gears until my left hand was sore. Gave it a brief rest, then started again. I plan on doing the same today. Accelerating, then deacclerating, putting a load on the engine, etc.

I don't baby the bike during break-in, and am basically following these guidelines - Break In New Bike

I'd love to hear what how others have ridden during the first 600 miles.
post #8 of 13 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 8:23 am

Quote:
I don't baby the bike during break-in, and am basically following these guidelines - Break In New Bike
Not if you're keeping it under 4K. I practically followed MotoMan's guidelines to the letter. (I had to wait until 40 miles to change my oil for the first time.) Then it was changed at 600, 2K, 4K, and 6K.
post #9 of 13 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 10:15 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Ya know...I was in 6th gear, the rpm's were at 4,000, and I'm thinking..."I have to wait another 500 miles before I can go faster?"

On the way home from the dealer, I rode on all back country rodes shifting through all the gears until my left hand was sore. Gave it a brief rest, then started again. I plan on doing the same today. Accelerating, then deacclerating, putting a load on the engine, etc.

I'd love to hear what how others have ridden during the first 600 miles.
I was told not to baby the motor and just ride it. The materials, tolerances, biuld quality, etc., are such that taking it too easy on the motor may actually lead to reduced power later on in its life. I kept it below 6 grand for the first 150 or so miles then rode it normally, but with no cruise control stints varying the throttle constantly. Did a lot of short to medium backroad runs running throught corners in gears 2-5 to vary the RPM range being worked/loaded, and after 350 miles would run it up to redline for a couple of blasts towards the end of my rides (motor warm, fluids pumpiing, etc., before whacking the fast stick). I have 800 miles on it and just had the 600 service done, and I'm basically not gong to worry about break-in stuff any longer, I'm just riding.

I saw your other post on the Techmount for your Zumo. I'm using the same setup and the BC is not blocked at all. Is it adjusted down between the handlbars as low as it can go? I'm probably taller than you but you should be able to get it to clear most if not all of the display screen.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #10 of 13 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor

I saw your other post on the Techmount for your Zumo. I'm using the same setup and the BC is not blocked at all. Is it adjusted down between the handlbars as low as it can go? I'm probably taller than you but you should be able to get it to clear most if not all of the display screen.
I was more aggressive in riding today. The 4,000rpm limit was the dealer's thoughts, but today I was a 5-6000, rpms, back down, etc. Then, I just rode the bike and had a ball.

You're right, with the Zumo tilted all the way down the BC is visible.
post #11 of 13 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 7:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Not if you're keeping it under 4K. I practically followed MotoMan's guidelines to the letter. (I had to wait until 40 miles to change my oil for the first time.) Then it was changed at 600, 2K, 4K, and 6K.
The 4K was the dealer's suggestion. Today I ran it up to 6K, then backed down, etc. I will re-read MotoMan's site, but I'm not sure how high I'm supposed to go following his instructions. Do I redline, then back down?
post #12 of 13 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 7:27 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
The 4K was the dealer's suggestion. Today I ran it up to 6K, then backed down, etc. I will re-read MotoMan's site, but I'm not sure how high I'm supposed to go following his instructions. Do I redline, then back down?
My suggestion is to just go ride the thing and not worry about it. Don't live at redline and don't run it up into the higher RPMs until it's warmed up a little (5-6 minutes), but otherwise just go for it. You'll end up with a happier and healthier engine in the long run, and the smile on your face will be much larger.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #13 of 13 Old Mar 30th, 2008, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
My suggestion is to just go ride the thing and not worry about it. Don't live at redline and don't run it up into the higher RPMs until it's warmed up a little (5-6 minutes), but otherwise just go for it. You'll end up with a happier and healthier engine in the long run, and the smile on your face will be much larger.
Good advice, Dave. Thank you. Sounds like a great plan, and makes sense.

I used your philosophy on my LT, and the bike ran like a charm. Never any problems at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in