GT Riding Position - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 6:55 am Thread Starter

GT Riding Position

At Daytona Bike week, I had an opportunity to finally ride a GT. What a great bike. My question is this: Is there some kind of aftermarket foot rests that can be installed to allow the rider to change positions some on a long ride???

Ultra LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 7:09 am

Re: GT Riding Position

Not that I've heard. Just try to keep in mind that it's a sport-touring bike.
post #3 of 14 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 9:39 am
Super Moderator

Not so far. Since this is less "barco-lounger" like seating (like the LT) your relation to the handlebars and footpegs may make it difficult to locate a set of highway pegs and have them be comfortable. I had JPegs on my LTs, but I would also flip down the passenger pegs and put my feet back there for a while to help change riding positions while eating large amounts of road. You may want to give that a try.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 12:21 pm

Every 30 minutes or so I drop my legs out into the airstream and flex them a bit. This little work out keeps the blood flowing and helps keep you awake and alert. Did the same on the LT. I stay comfortable all day this way. Do the same with my arms also.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #5 of 14 Old Mar 18th, 2008, 12:55 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Do the same with my arms also.
Hopefully, not at the same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Just try to keep in mind that it's a sport-touring bike.
Pay no attention to Joe. He prefers to ride in the Fetal position.

No highway pegs for the GT, yet. Though I do have a couple of ideas . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 1:37 pm

If you're asking about additional pegs, like highway pegs, the others have answered but if you are asking about replacing the footpegs to a lower position there are plenty of aftermarket pegs for this change.
post #7 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 2:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Pay no attention to Joe. He prefers to ride in the Fetal position.
And that's a bad thing?
post #8 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT
At Daytona Bike week, I had an opportunity to finally ride a GT. What a great bike. My question is this: Is there some kind of aftermarket foot rests that can be installed to allow the rider to change positions some on a long ride???

Ultra LT

Rich,

Glad you got to ride a GT! How'd you like having all that power? Anyway, mine has the bar risers on it and a custom seat and WOW is it comfy! You should come by and borrow it for a day. You'll love it!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 14 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 7:49 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
And that's a bad thing?
Not if it works for you. But few of us are as twisted as you are. Except maybe Grif. And possibly the Bad Ted.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 14 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 8:27 pm Thread Starter

Jack,
don't tempt me. I appreciate the offer, but would not place your pride and joy in my hands for a full day. I might not come back.

What is the longest trip you have taken thus far? Any problems, comfort wise that is?

Rich
post #11 of 14 Old Mar 20th, 2008, 9:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT
Jack,
don't tempt me. I appreciate the offer, but would not place your pride and joy in my hands for a full day. I might not come back.

What is the longest trip you have taken thus far? Any problems, comfort wise that is?

Rich

I replaced the seat on mine and now it is wonderful. I can actually ride it longer distances with less fatigue that my old LT. No problems...period. A great bike. If you ever want to come by and ride it, with the new seat and windshield, just let me know. I'm serious. I know you well enough and you could ride it for a day so you could get a serious feel for it. BTW, how did you like the power?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #12 of 14 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 8:53 pm
TJD

Hey guys -

I got my GT last fall and put several 300+ mile days on it before winter snowed us in. I'm a tall guy (36" inseam) and after a few hours, I found that my legs were in need of a good stretch. There were a couple of times where I was secretly longing for the foot-forward posture of my old HD. During those times, I threw one leg at a time up on the fairing, next to the tank. It's not as ridiculous as it sounds but I admit, it's not something I'd expect to see in the user's manual. It did help but I certainly would not do it in traffic or at high speeds. I added the Suburban Machine peg extension kit this winter and am anxious to see how much that helps.

Overall I just love the bike, so the leg position is a compromise I don't mind making. I took my first ride of the spring last week after 3 months off. After only a few miles, I instantly remembered why I bought this bike after test riding it last year. It's just an exceptional motorcycle.
post #13 of 14 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 9:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

My knees are normally my Achilles heel on a long ride. And while it's no GT (as you've all so kindly pointed out ) my FJR has similar ergos. I was shocked to learn that my knees like the FJR riding position better than they liked that of my old LT even though that bike had the peg lowering kit installed. I think the fact that you sit with a bit more forward rotation on a sport touring bike really makes a positive difference that I didn't anticipate.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #14 of 14 Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 2:45 pm Thread Starter

Jack,
Thanks again for your offer. I just may take you up on it. To answer your question, I loved the power, even did an accidental wheelie (a little one). It has a lot more power and handling capabilities than I would use on a regular basis, but it is always good to have it in reserve when you need it.

Rich
Ultra LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in