@#$%^^&* Ews - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Mar 10th, 2008, 1:45 am Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy @#$%^^&* Ews

OK, so I finally get a chance to have a little ride on my new GT on Saturday. Took off from Fresno and headed up towards Yosemite in the Sierras - didn't quite make it that far. I love it, but.......
This morning I ride over to my daughter's house for breakfast, planning on a longer ride for today. After breakfast I suit up, jump on and turn the key. All the blinking dash lights do their little dance and then display a large EWS message. Try the starter - no whir. MMmm. I had unfortunately left the owner's manual back at our house, so couldn't look it up. Now EWS is not exactly an intuitive fault code, so I go get the manual. Aha! It's the immobiliser that has kicked in and it gives me a few options, like remove other ignition keys from key ring (don't have the key on a ring), try expensive plastic spare key - no go.
Sunday morning, so what else, but turn to the Internet. Of course, this site doesn't know about three character acronyms. Google to the rescue. Holy sh.., Batman. Try doing a Google search on 'k1200gt ews'. Many hits and many unhappy owners - mainly on the advrider.com site. Some guys have been stranded on their GSes in the middle of nowhere. At least I was near home.
Seems like this is a known problem and not a very popular feature all round. Many are wishing for a way to immobilise the immobiliser . Apparently the culprit is a faulty antenna ring that detects the signal from the chip in the key to see whether it is a valid key.
No option, but to wait for the dealer to open on Tuesday. Oh yeah, I did try disconnecting the battery for a while and that didn't help either.
Oh well.

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Mar 10th, 2008, 2:00 am

Re: @#$%^^&* Ews

IIRC, there was a service bulletin regarding this issue LAST spring. I'm guessing yours was never serviced.
post #3 of 17 Old Mar 10th, 2008, 7:31 am

Brian.. your bike is a year old?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old Mar 10th, 2008, 8:36 am

I have an 08 that had the identical problem with only 200 miles on it.
post #5 of 17 Old Mar 10th, 2008, 9:11 am

As a temporary fix, has anyone tried taping the spare plastic key to the point on the computer where the antenna cable enters?

Assuming there is something wrong with the antenna or the antenna lead, the system isn't likely to notice or be confused by the regular key when you switch the bike on. Hopefully it can communicate with the spare plastic key, because it is so close that an antenna wouldn't be needed.

Is it enough to help you get the bike to the dealer for a proper repair?
post #6 of 17 Old Mar 10th, 2008, 10:27 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Brian.. your bike is a year old?
Chan, the bike is 2 weeks old with 300 miles

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2016 R1200GSA
post #7 of 17 Old Mar 10th, 2008, 10:29 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
As a temporary fix, has anyone tried taping the spare plastic key to the point on the computer where the antenna cable enters?

Assuming there is something wrong with the antenna or the antenna lead, the system isn't likely to notice or be confused by the regular key when you switch the bike on. Hopefully it can communicate with the spare plastic key, because it is so close that an antenna wouldn't be needed.

Is it enough to help you get the bike to the dealer for a proper repair?
Reading some other posts, seems like it is not just an antenna, but has some logic in it.

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2016 R1200GSA
post #8 of 17 Old Mar 10th, 2008, 12:43 pm

This is the worst news you could have told me in that 3 out of 4 of my BMW's are CAN-bus/antenna ring bikes. My '07 GSA is awaiting a trip to service since it has had the dreaded EWS failure. But, I thought the problem was localized to the older part no. and that the newest bikes were exhibiting NO failure!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #9 of 17 Old Mar 10th, 2008, 4:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile Not my usual sarcastic post...really

Do the wee F800s have this system? I'm in serious lust of the new F800GS and could well be a buyer when and if it ever arrives in the states. However, I'd just as soon eliminate as many "leave 'em high and dry" features of the modern BMW as possible (a good 'ol chain having taken care of the other one).

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #10 of 17 Old Mar 11th, 2008, 9:18 pm

Is the computer located more to the left side of a GT or more towards the right side of the bike. Forgive me, I just haven't had to take my tupperware off yet.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #11 of 17 Old Mar 12th, 2008, 6:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Is the computer located more to the left side of a GT or more towards the right side of the bike. Forgive me, I just haven't had to take my tupperware off yet.
It's under the seat, the ZFE is on the right side.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 17 Old Mar 12th, 2008, 12:27 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
It's under the seat, the ZFE is on the right side.
Sitting on all your brains, Grif?

They picked the bike up on a flatbed y'day, but I haven't heard anything yet.
I wasn't very impressed with the way they tied it down. He had a harness for the handle bars and tied it using that with the bike on the side stand and wedged against the winch in front. He then looped a tie down through the luggage rack to secure the back! Not to mention that there was fresh oil all over the floor that got all over the tires.

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2016 R1200GSA
post #13 of 17 Old Mar 13th, 2008, 1:09 am Thread Starter

Garage

Back on the road again. BMW of Fresno had the part in stock. Sure enough it was the ring antenna. The SA told me that they have had quite a few part# changes for the ring antenna, so hopefully they have a good supplier now.

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2016 R1200GSA
post #14 of 17 Old Mar 13th, 2008, 4:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
This is the worst news you could have told me ,, I thought the problem was localized to the older part no. and that the newest bikes were exhibiting NO failure!
Common problems with all , some say the more electronic gadgets located around the key increase the failure rate.
Removal requires drilling out the old mounting studs. Some shops reattach the new system with allen bolts and suggest carrying 2 spares. This allows a swap of key system on the fly

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #15 of 17 Old May 30th, 2008, 9:14 pm

Had ring antenna go bad on my '07 GT in April at a gas stop in New Bern North Carolina. First dealer said it was a loose wire and tried to send me on my way. It wasn't a loose wire. They did not have the part. I got the bike started (it was intermittent) and got to Raleigh where they diagnosed the problem and replaced the antenna. Well here we are 6 weeks and about 2500 miles later and I get the big EWS again. Heading to my dealer in the AM.
post #16 of 17 Old Jun 1st, 2008, 6:32 am

Delivery of my recently acquired 650 GS - the new twin - was delayed wihle a mod was arranged by the dealer to fix the key problem. That at least indicates it's a known problem all the way along the supply chain.

As an aside, the bike is just about perfect for the daily commute and occasional national park exploration.

Born Again Middle aged BIker

K1600GT
C650GT
post #17 of 17 Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:52 am

EWS will also come on with low battery power available.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in