Lowering foot pegs or raising handlebars? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 2:20 pm Thread Starter

Lowering foot pegs or raising handlebars?

Have any of you out there tried a foot peg lowering kit or handlebar risers for the new GT? I'd like a more upright position and wonder which one to use.

I ordered both from Suburban Machinery for my '98 K1200RS a few years ago and they fit well.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 3:24 pm

Re: Lowering foot pegs or raising handlebars?

Just bought a new 08 GT. It came with the riser setup on it. I sat on both and I like the riser setup much more than the stock bar position. I didn't want to be leaning way over like a crotch rocket (just a little exageration), the risers put the bars just about in the right spot for me...I'm 5"9" on a good day when I first get up.
post #3 of 10 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 4:31 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtaddeo
Have any of you out there tried a foot peg lowering kit or handlebar risers for the new GT? I'd like a more upright position and wonder which one to use.

I ordered both from Suburban Machinery for my '98 K1200RS a few years ago and they fit well.

Thanks.
I believe Ken Meese (Meese is his handle on the list) has done both. You can PM him, or he'll likely chime in shortly since he frequents this forum. I'll let him regale you with dreams of his K1200RT.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 5:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtaddeo

Thanks.
I've done both. The bar risers were first and helped me a lot. I've got a bad neck (three fusions and another coming up) and with out the risers, I would have sold the GT not long after buying it.

As for the peg lowering kit, I added those when I rode out to S. Cal in Sept. An improvement but not as much as the risers. Also, the lowered pegs do touch down sooner. I had to adjust my riding technique a bit to enjoy the Ozarks.

Now, I'm looking for the "perfect" windshield. I've got a Cee Bailey, a Cal Sci and the stock ones. I guess I'll try the fugly Aeroflow one. I need to quiet the buffeting to help the neck.

HTH,

Rob Lessen
Arma, KS
'73 Honda XL250
'91 R100GSPD
'07 K12GT
'07 R12RT, swmbo's
post #5 of 10 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 6:00 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Sorry for the delay responding, I was actually out riding in our beautiful 70 degree weather.

There are two bar risers available for the GT. The HeliBar unit moves the bars back 1", at the stock "tall" setting. The Suburban Machinery units move the bars back 1", but also have five height positions. The lowest is equal to the stock "tall" position. The second and third positions add 9 mm each (0.35" or 0.7"). The fourth and fifth positions are also 9 mm steps, but are too tall to allow the throttle cables to reach comfortably.

I've been running mine in the midway position and would prefer them a little higher. But I just picked up my bike from getting the air box retrofit, at which time they discovered my throttle cables were binding. They replaced them, although the old cables work fine while on the bench (of course). That's the only time I've heard of this happening with the risers, but I figured it was better to mention it.

Now that I have the old cables off the bike, I'm going to find a local cable manufacturer and see if they can make me up a set that's 2-3" longer so that I can run the SM risers at full height. I imagine it will be easier to use all the BMW fittings and just replace the cable and housing with longer pieces. Obviously I don't have any idea as to cost yet.

As for peg extenders, your choices are Suburban Machinery or Verholen. I put the Verholen 40mm (1.5") peg extenders on the day I got the GT. The SM extenders are fixed, but the Verholen extenders are two-piece with a serrated interface which allows a bit of fore-and-aft adjustment if needed. But I found that once they're set you don't really need to move them.

With those and the seat in the high position I actually had slightly more leg room than the LT. But it's much easier to drag the lowered pegs in the corners, so if you're an aggressive rider then you might want to consider that. When I got more comfortable on the bike such that I could drag the pegs at will, I ended up pulling them off. I haven't really noticed any comfort issues without them, but my seat is always in the high position, plus I did have it built up slightly by Rocky Mayer.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 10 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 6:03 pm

I sure like my risers...wouldn't last long w/o them!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 10 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 6:14 am Thread Starter

Thumbs down Re: Lowering foot pegs or raising handlebars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrob
I've done both. The bar risers were first and helped me a lot. I've got a bad neck (three fusions and another coming up) and with out the risers, I would have sold the GT not long after buying it.

As for the peg lowering kit, I added those when I rode out to S. Cal in Sept. An improvement but not as much as the risers. Also, the lowered pegs do touch down sooner. I had to adjust my riding technique a bit to enjoy the Ozarks.

Now, I'm looking for the "perfect" windshield. I've got a Cee Bailey, a Cal Sci and the stock ones. I guess I'll try the fugly Aeroflow one. I need to quiet the buffeting to help the neck.

HTH,

Rob Lessen
Arma, KS
'73 Honda XL250
'91 R100GSPD
'07 K12GT
'07 R12RT, swmbo's
Hey Rob,

Thanks for your reply. I did order both the peg kit and the risers from Suburban Machinery. I'll see if I feel the pegs are too low when he head to The Tail (of the Dragon, Tennessee) in April. The roads aren't really nice and smooth here in Quebec much before June.

I think I'll start enjoying more my GT when the software and my riding position are changed.

About your screen, I'm about 5'9" and I love the small BMW tinted screen. I took delivery of the bike with it and never took it off.

Good luck "screen"ing around.

Jim
post #8 of 10 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 6:15 am Thread Starter

Thanks Frank.
post #9 of 10 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 6:27 am Thread Starter

Hey Ken,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

So it makes sense that the HeliBar rise the bars 1" but don't affect the cables and the SM affect the bars after 1.05". I'll try the SM that I ordered and see if .7" is enough for me.

Can you keep let me know if you find a longer cable that does the job?

About the pegs, I'll try one the SM that I ordered and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Jim
post #10 of 10 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 12:45 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

The HeliBar unit moves the bars back 1", but stays at the same height as the stock "tall" setting. The SM units move back 1", and also adds 0.7" height.

There is enough slack to move the cables back slightly, but when you start adding height things get tight. But you can definitely feel the difference when riding.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in