Any GT Owners Who Wish..... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old Mar 7th, 2008, 3:45 pm Thread Starter

Any GT Owners Who Wish.....

That they'd kept there LT? Be honest now! Anybody wishing they could turn back time and not have switched to the GT? This is not a loaded question. I'm just in a quandary about which bike to buy. I've had 2 LTs and am thinking about making the switch to the GT but don't want to make a 20K mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old Mar 7th, 2008, 4:11 pm

Re: Any GT Owners Who Wish.....

Not me...not at all. But, it took me about a thousand miles or so to be convinced. Just time to adapt to the changes.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 37 Old Mar 7th, 2008, 4:33 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

My wife would much rather be on the LT than the GT, although I've heard of some passengers that do prefer the GT. And the wind & weather protection on the LT does beat the GT. But other than that the GT does everything the LT can do, and so much more.

When they come out with an '09 or '10 LT with the slant/4 motor I'll be sure to test ride one, but I might just as easily pick up a new GT at that point, too.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 37 Old Mar 7th, 2008, 4:50 pm

My '06 GT is my favorite bike of all-time ... including my '02 LT. And my wife likes my GT plenty, but not as much as she liked the LT. But my riding is about 95% 1-up, so it makes owning a GT a very easy decision for the both of us at this time. Some day, an LT will be back in the stable.

But as for regrets, not at all. I'll admit that, at first, I thought I had made a mistake. But at about 2K on the clock, I just "got it". And I haven't looked back since. Me and my GT are "one". And that's how we roll.
post #5 of 37 Old Mar 7th, 2008, 4:57 pm
Super Moderator

I just moved to the GT after 3 LTs over the last 9.5 years. Made the change last week. It was sad to see the LT go, but MAN do I like this GT!! Go test ride one a coupe of times to get the feel for it yourself, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with one.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #6 of 37 Old Mar 7th, 2008, 5:49 pm

I have nothing to contribute to your question except to say I look forward to the day when I can answer it!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 37 Old Mar 7th, 2008, 6:53 pm Thread Starter

Cool Re: Any GT Owners Who Wish.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I have nothing to contribute to your question except to say I look forward to the day when I can answer it!
Good response. Thanks to those of you who have responded. I have an opportunity to give a GT a ride tomorrow. I hope I hade it!! lol
post #8 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 2:56 pm

Garage

No regrets from my side. Had 2 LT's over a period of 7 years and I found it to be an excellent ride, but the change to the GT was a welcome one (now I know there is a bike beyond excellence ).

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #9 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 3:09 pm
fas

Talking Re: Any GT Owners Who Wish.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkortes
That they'd kept there LT? Be honest now! Anybody wishing they could turn back time and not have switched to the GT? This is not a loaded question. I'm just in a quandary about which bike to buy. I've had 2 LTs and am thinking about making the switch to the GT but don't want to make a 20K mistake.

For me, it took 2 test rides. One solo first so I could get comfy with the controls and wring it out a little. Then a two hour test ride with SO. My pal at the dealership where I bought 2 new BMW bikes said I could take it home overnight if I wanted. SO seconded my decision to move to the GT. For her the ride quality was better (ESA rocks). When I'm solo I am more of a hooligan (ESA rocks). I did add the Z-Tecknik shield as the tall BMW shield is not enuff. SO loved the shield addition stating, "25% improvement in buffetting." At first I thought I would miss the stereo of the LT. Now we are all iPod and very happy. SO has a better range on the GT. It just fits her hips better. She is 5'2" and only 110#. The LT seat was just too wide for her. We had to stop every hour so she could walk around. On the GT I get tired first. My back gives up and I need to get off at 2 hours if a pee stop has not already given us both a chance to stretch.

I loved our LT but I LUST for our GT. Best ride we ever found ....so far.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #10 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 6:31 pm

Yup...my GT is the very best bike I have ever owned. It just takes awhile to adjust to the change from the LT. I feel that if more LT riders gave it a REAL chance...they would love it.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #11 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 7:15 pm

Question Re: Any GT Owners Who Wish.....

Interesting topic. I presently have a 2003 Gl1800. I have been surfing this site for over a year. Prior to my 1800 I had a 2000 k1200RS. I loved the bike and the power. Due to the cold weather around here, my knees started to bother me. I wanted something with a little more protection, so I bought the Gl1800. I like it but I have this urge to get back to a BMW. I loved the 1200 engine. I havn't driven one, but I would be interested in some feedback regarding my two previous bikes.
post #12 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 8:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmar
I presently have a 2003 Gl1800. [snip] Prior to my 1800 I had a 2000 k1200RS.
The 'new' GT is lightyears ahead of what your RS was. It'll out-run it, out-handle it, and out-distance it. Some would argue that your 2000 is better looking, but that's just a matter of opinion. I'm sticking with just the facts here.

As for your GW ... we're comparing apples and oranges. As you know, the LT is the GW's counter-part, not the GT. But if the GW or LT isn't enough sport for your spirit, than the new GT may be just what the doctor ordered. I know it worked for me.
post #13 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 9:26 pm

[QUOTE=messenger13]The 'new' GT is lightyears ahead of what your RS was. It'll out-run it, out-handle it, and out-distance it.

Messenger13, are you serious? It will out run it? Wow!! The K1200RS was pretty fast.
post #14 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 9:37 pm

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
The 'new' GT is lightyears ahead of what your RS was. It'll out-run it, out-handle it, and out-distance it.

Messenger13, are you serious? It will out run it? Wow!! The K1200RS was pretty fast.
Serious as a heart attack. The old GT/RS had 130HP (at the crank) ... the new GT has 152HP. Smokin'! Not too shabby for a sport-tourer. In fact, the new GT is just a few 100ths of a second slower than the new Kaw 1400 GTR (based off of the ZX-14). Again...not too shabby.
post #15 of 37 Old Mar 8th, 2008, 10:07 pm

I wil have to see if I can take one for a ride on the BMW test ride days. I hope it has a lot more upright riding position and more leg room than my 2000 RS had. I am missing the sound of the K motor.

Last edited by lmar; Mar 8th, 2008 at 10:17 pm.
post #16 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 8:28 am

Quote:
I wil have to see if I can take one for a ride on the BMW test ride days. I hope it has a lot more upright riding position and more leg room than my 2000 RS had. I am missing the sound of the K motor.
Then you will still miss it as the new GT doesn't have the brick.

I loves mine and wouldn't go back.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #17 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 11:19 am

Quote:
I am missing the sound of the K motor.
As Grif implied, the new GT has the newer Slant 4 motor. It revs higher and faster than the older Brick. And, IMHO, sounds WAY cooler. Kinda like a hornet's nest on crack ... once you pass by 6K RPMs. Delicious! No aftermarket pipe needed, sounds great right outta the box.
post #18 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 12:08 pm
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=lmar]
Quote:
The 'new' GT is lightyears ahead of what your RS was. It'll out-run it, out-handle it, and out-distance it.

I had a 99 K1200RS, and I now have an 08 GT. The GT makes significantly more power (the stats will tell you that and it proves out at the seat of the pants as well) and is definitely a faster bike. For example - Salt Lake BMW took their bone stock demo GT (with 300 miles)to Bonneville for the AMA speed trials last September. Not to run, just rode it there. After some cajoling they taped up the lenses and decided to run it just for kicks. It averaged 154 MPH on it's two runs, with the salt in suboptimal conditions (a bit wet, everyone figured that was taking 4-7 mph out of all the runs). On the street that would translate to 165-170 mph potential top speed, assuming you'll hold it open long enough to get there! Doug Houlk's turbo RS may go that fast, but I haven't heard of another of the older vintage putting up those numbers. The fastest I ever had my 99 up to was 155 MPH indicated, probably around 140 actual.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #19 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 12:17 pm

I kept my LT....the ol lady would have it no other way.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #20 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 1:43 pm

davidTaylor wrote: I had a 99 K1200RS, and I now have an 08 GT. The GT makes significantly more power (the stats will tell you that and it proves out at the seat of the pants as well) and is definitely a faster bike.[/QUOTE]

Since I had the 2000 K12RS, what can you tell me about the comfort, protection, riding and leg position difference between your 99 RS and 08 GT?
post #21 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 2:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
I kept my LT....the ol lady would have it no other way.
But then again, Dave walks around in shorts all year long . . .

. . . because she wears the pants! BAM!!!
post #22 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 6:04 pm

Quote:
But then again, Dave walks around in shorts all year long . . .

. . . because she wears the pants! BAM!!!

She has to..she makes all the money.....
Id have it no other way.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #23 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2008, 7:42 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
davidTaylor wrote: I had a 99 K1200RS, and I now have an 08 GT. The GT makes significantly more power (the stats will tell you that and it proves out at the seat of the pants as well) and is definitely a faster bike.

Since I had the 2000 K12RS, what can you tell me about the comfort, protection, riding and leg position difference between your 99 RS and 08 GT?[/QUOTE]

The riding position on the GT is less sporty than the RS, which is what you probably want in a more touring oriented machine. It is very ergonomically sound; I'm comfortable on it and don't feel te need for a backrest which I had to use on my LT. You can lower the bars to be over the tank more if you want. Protection from the elements is definitely better, and the electrically adjustable windscreen is a great addition. I think the pegs are a little more forward and lower than on the RS; again more in line with a sport touring oriented machine.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #24 of 37 Old Mar 10th, 2008, 7:23 am

I went from a 2002 KRS to the 2006GT, the moment it was availabe for a test ride. 15 minutes on the GT and the KRS was history. I now do double my mileage on the GT as it is more nimble, powerful and easier to ride. I feel as though I am higher up from the ground and part of the machine.

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #25 of 37 Old Mar 10th, 2008, 9:10 am

I had the opportunity and purchased-back my old 00-LTC, after discovering that my wife could not tolerate the GT for extended periods, due to her old back/neck injuries received from a car accident.

and...after riding the GT from Dallas to VA last year, I must admit that, even though i could work around the issues (seat issues/leg position/forward lean-even with barbacks), I was not in the best of shape after extended runs, over 300miles or so..

My wife also reports that wind protection on the LT is much better for her. and, as I also concur that the heated seats do a much better job on the LT, due to the larger seat area in-contact with your rear-end.. Which also means broader base of support. Some of us old folks just need the extra comfort, especially when the passenger can make or break your day !

So physically speaking, for both of us, the LT is by far the best for us. we have been out several times on the LT after getting it back and do not hesitate at all to go anywhere. she has only ask for armrests, to help support her back issue, but even without them, she says the experience is now much, much better and she can tolerate an all-day ride now, whereas on the GT, she was looking forward to gas stops, sooner than later...

so that is why my Graphite 07-GT is 'For Sale', with only 6K on the ODO.

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #26 of 37 Old Mar 10th, 2008, 11:56 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyMount
I had the opportunity and purchased-back my old 00-LTC, after discovering that my wife could not tolerate the GT for extended periods, due to her old back/neck injuries received from a car accident.

and...after riding the GT from Dallas to VA last year, I must admit that, even though i could work around the issues (seat issues/leg position/forward lean-even with barbacks), I was not in the best of shape after extended runs, over 300miles or so..

My wife also reports that wind protection on the LT is much better for her. and, as I also concur that the heated seats do a much better job on the LT, due to the larger seat area in-contact with your rear-end.. Which also means broader base of support. Some of us old folks just need the extra comfort, especially when the passenger can make or break your day !

So physically speaking, for both of us, the LT is by far the best for us. we have been out several times on the LT after getting it back and do not hesitate at all to go anywhere. she has only ask for armrests, to help support her back issue, but even without them, she says the experience is now much, much better and she can tolerate an all-day ride now, whereas on the GT, she was looking forward to gas stops, sooner than later...

so that is why my Graphite 07-GT is 'For Sale', with only 6K on the ODO.
Thanks EZyMount for your candid review. When I jump on my LT I'm usually off on some adventure that very typically gobbles up 300+ miles. In the last two years I took a 4000 mile trip from Cali to BC and a 3500 miler to Sturgis SD. Both of those trips had many 400 mile days with our longest run from Steamboat CO to Caliente NV (around 750 miles). The LT has been flawless in all weather conditions.

On our trip from Caliente NV to Tonapah NV my buddy and I chewed up two hundred miles in two hours (He was an a Wing). Easy math shows a cruising speed of 100 mph. I did this with the cruise control set at its maximum. Mileage went from high 40s to around 25 mpg. I guess my point is the LT is plenty fast and powerful as well.

I was going to try the GT this weekend, but my wife just didn't like the seat. BTW... I ride like an old lady when she's on the back. Anyhow, I'll probably stick with the LT. I know I do like it better than the Wing. My buddy and I trade off sometimes and the geometry of the LT works better for me.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed your experiences.
post #27 of 37 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 3:16 pm

Smile Re: Any GT Owners Who Wish.....

Long story short...

Was a HD rider, Ultra Classic. Traded that in for an '06 LT. Loved it. After a while thought it may have been a bit too heavy. Tried a GT and could not get comfortable with the riding position.

Then, this is scary, traded in the '06 LT, for an '07 HD Ultra Classic. Had the second Ultra till today, when I traded it in for an '08 GT.

Now, this time around the GT riding position felt wonderful. I took a very long test ride, and I was amazed how comfortable everything was right out of the box.

I could have easily bought another LT today, but the GT is lighter, nimbler, and much easier for me to handle.

It's good to be back within the fold.
post #28 of 37 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 4:17 pm

NO WAY! I just wish BMW made this years ago!

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #29 of 37 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 6:25 pm

Thumbs up Re: Any GT Owners Who Wish.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefeb
I could have easily bought another LT today, but the GT is lighter, nimbler, and much easier for me to handle.

Congrats! You're going to like this bike more & more with each passing mile this summer.
post #30 of 37 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 9:08 pm

I love my GT and would not ever consider going back, had a chance to ride a friend's LT this weekend and it's way just too top heavy and too heavy period. The only thing I miss on it is the horn.
post #31 of 37 Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 10:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by batdriver51
The only thing I miss on it is the horn.
That's less than a $30 issue. And my TWO horns are louder than the LT's. In fact, I like the dual-pitched effect of the OEM horn and the Stebel. Very cool.
post #32 of 37 Old Mar 24th, 2008, 2:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefeb
That's funny, I'm trying to lose my fold!
post #33 of 37 Old Mar 31st, 2008, 3:11 pm

Hi, over here in the Uk and been directed to your web site, great site, now about the GT, traded a RT 1150 in against a new GT, the Rt was chipped up etc, before that had a FJR 1300 Yam, before that an K1100RS and there is just no competition! It leaves the yamaha standing and this morning embarrased two ducati 999 riders who were "gobsmaked" (english expression for shocked) as to how the GT went. Only problem is keeping my licence intact in the land of speed camera enforcement. Wish I had seen this site last year as we did the coast to coast trip from LA to Boston and had a great time.

May re do the other way in a few years time!
post #34 of 37 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 2:59 pm

had an LT and a K1200S.
traded both and bought a loaded 07 K12GT.After 13500 trouble free miles I'm selling the GT.The GT is an awesome bike.Looks great,is fast,handels well etc.
but I have long legs and get very uncomfortable on trips longer than 300 miles.Once it is sold I'll buy the GS Adventure,maybe add later a K12R for short trips.
hans
post #35 of 37 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 6:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
had an LT and a K1200S.
traded both and bought a loaded 07 K12GT.After 13500 trouble free miles I'm selling the GT.The GT is an awesome bike.Looks great,is fast,handels well etc.
but I have long legs and get very uncomfortable on trips longer than 300 miles.Once it is sold I'll buy the GS Adventure,maybe add later a K12R for short trips.
hans
I am looking at buying a GT. I recently sold a HD Ultra Classic. I to am tall and have concerns that my legs will not enjoy the bend in the knees.

Did you do anything with the pegs to work on the confort. I plan to ride this bike across the states the first month I have it
post #36 of 37 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 12:13 am

I've had the RT, then GT, and now LT. A couple of days ago the local dealer loaned me an 08 GT overnight; man was it a kick!!! However I came to the conclusion that the LT is the best bike for me and my 54 year old bones.
post #37 of 37 Old Apr 12th, 2008, 8:07 pm

Been driving the LT and I love that bike. Best long distance bike I ever had, but my experience is not as vast as some people in this site. Now I have traded the LT for a GT, mainly because my wife dose not ride with me and wanted something different. I love the GT power , weight, power , safety features, did I say power? I have not got used to the position for long rides yet, maybe steering risers?, but I am loving it the same. I would buy another LT but maybe next generation only if I can keep the GT. This baby is staying with me

BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in