Thinking of a GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 9:38 pm Thread Starter

Thinking of a GT

OK Guys and any Gals:
I currently have a 07 LT but am thinking of moving to a K1200GT. After the LT I'm aware of what I want on the GT except for one area. Is the Safety Package with tire sensors and the ASC (stability control) worthwhile. If those of you that may have that option on your bikes could provide some advice, pro or con, it would be appreciated....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Mar 4th, 2008, 12:47 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Thinking of a GT

I have the full package on my GT, and in fact waited a bit to get the exact bike I wanted.

I'd put the SmarTire sensors on my LT and it definitely saved me a lot of grief. I was heading down I-5 once when the low pressure warning went off. I hit the very next exit and pulled into a gas station. I found the nail, plugged it, aired back up using the station's air hose, and was back on the road in about 15 minutes. Had I not had the warning, I could easily have been 20 miles from nowhere as the bike suddenly went squirrelly on me. I now carry a 12V compressor, but didn't at the time. The other bonus was that I was able to monitor my tire pressure over the next 200 miles so I knew everything was fine all the way home.

As for ASC, I figure it's like ABS. It just sits there quietly until you need it, at which point you don't care what you paid for it when it saves your butt. I was riding through the rain and had stopped at an intersection. I made a left and was accelerating across some railroad tracks when the bike twitched very mildly twice. The tracks were wet and slick, but the bike barely flinched and just kept on rolling along. I can't say that I would have gone down without ASC, but I can say that it reacted a whole lot faster than I could have.

So unless you're on a very tight budget, or you get a great deal on a leftover GT without those options, I'd say go for it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 3 Old Mar 4th, 2008, 5:35 pm

Re: Thinking of a GT

+1 for ASC and TPM

TPM:
It is easier to appreciate the TPM, because your tire pressures are there whenever you call it up. I trust it enough that I rely on it to know when I need to refill the tires - it is so much nicer than squatting to check pressures whenever you go for a ride. Maybe you won't have to fill up as often either, considering that a little air leaks out of your tires every time you perform a routine check with a traditional tire pressure gauge.

ASC:
It's hard to know for sure. I'm waiting for an event where I'm certain that it activated. I think it kicked in once when I was crossing a muddy dip in the street and the back tire started to spin up. Frankly, it was too fast to know for sure that it did react, but I think it did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in