GT Protection dose it have any how to add some - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

GT Protection dose it have any how to add some

I am looking for a second bike. I am looking at the RT and GT on the BMW family. The conny is a consideration and the HD RK. My question is: I do not see bumpers in the GT like the LT. If you drop it the plastic will get messed up. And you know that eventually will happened but if it doesn't well, cool. What is the solution to protect the GT from avoiding scratches if dropped? And do not tell me not to drop it ok? I love to hear from you that have one and if you have let her down. How bad it gets scratch. The RT has some protection due to the Boxer set up but the GT?
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 9:45 pm
fas

Talking Re: GT Protection dose it have any how to add some

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedr
I am looking for a second bike. I am looking at the RT and GT on the BMW family. The conny is a consideration and the HD RK. My question is: I do not see bumpers in the GT like the LT. If you drop it the plastic will get messed up. And you know that eventually will happened but if it doesn't well, cool. What is the solution to protect the GT from avoiding scratches if dropped? And do not tell me not to drop it ok? I love to hear from you that have one and if you have let her down. How bad it gets scratch. The RT has some protection due to the Boxer set up but the GT?
Thanks
I dropped my GT going over a HIGH curb at next to zero speed. Got a ding on the rear bag and a scratch on the tupper wear. Street cred. No biggie.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #3 of 4 Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 9:52 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: GT Protection dose it have any how to add some

There isn't any built-in drop protection like on the LT.

I had clear bra put on when the bike was new, and also added the factory saddlebag bumpers (same as used on the RT). Then I had a center stand break and the GT slowly tipped over onto a concrete floor. You can see the results in this thread.

A friend of mine installed some frame sliders on his GT. I think they were designed for the S-bike, so he had to cut some holes in the fairing. They are perfectly functional, but some guys don't like how they look. I say it's your bike, so it's your choice.

There are some pics in this thread on I-BMW.com.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 4 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 4:21 am

Garage
Re: GT Protection dose it have any how to add some

There's none built in but

http://www.rg-racing.com

do a set.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in