BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Software update - "mls" changed to "mi" ??

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  mdm_rides 
#1 ·
I have a vague recollection of someone posting that with a recent software update, the "miles" abbreviation of "mls" changed to "mi". If you've had a recent airbox change and software update (as I have), did this happen on your GT? Mine still reads "mls".

I just noticed today that the low gas warning came on with (supposedly) 45 miles left in the tank. Before the recent software update, that same warning would appear with 65 to 75 miles left in the tank.

- Bob

#2 ·
My GT had the new air box and latest software v10.1 installed last week. I'm still reading mls.

Mine had the low fuel light come on around 40 miles even before the change, with ~1 gallon remaining after the miles to go reached 0. I haven't checked it yet after the change.

#3 ·
bob_menton said:
Mine still reads "mls".

I just noticed today that the low gas warning came on with (supposedly) 45 miles left in the tank. Before the recent software update, that same warning would appear with 65 to 75 miles left in the tank.

- Bob
mls still for me also, upgraded in Dec. with 10.something. To empty all over the place because of different riding conditions, always been that way.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

#5 ·
bob_menton said:
I have a vague recollection of someone posting that with a recent software update, the "miles" abbreviation of "mls" changed to "mi". If you've had a recent airbox change and software update (as I have), did this happen on your GT? Mine still reads "mls".

- Bob
Bob,
My new 2008 GT reads "mls". Don't know what software version it's running, but I'm assuming (maybe falsely) that it's the newest. Manufacture date is 01/2008. I don't know if they did anything to the software at the 600 miles service.

Anyway, I have a question about the reserve light. Last week I had trouble finding fuel in Atlanta and finally found a station with gas when my computer states I could go 6 miles. However, it only took 5.3 gallons. I'm suppose to have 6.3 gal useable. One other time it said I could go 24 miles and took 5 gallons. The Caution triangle was on and the gas pump was blinking. Sounds like my fuel gauge is not accurate or I still have 1 gallon left when the computer reads 0 miles.

#6 ·
REWDOC said:
Sounds like my fuel gauge is not accurate or I still have 1 gallon left when the computer reads 0 miles.
Yep. The warning light and flashing fuel pump icon come on with about 2 gallons remaining, and when the "miles to empty" reads 0 you have about 1 more gallon remaining. Super paranoid if you ask me, then again I have managed to run the tank dry. :eek:

The fuel gauge bars are notoriously inaccurate, too. At first they hardly move, then as you get closer to empty they drop a whole lot faster. This means that your "miles to empty" is also wildly off along its whole range.

I drilled some vent holes in my filler neck so that I can get almost a full 7 gallons in, but that only works if you immediately get back on the bike and run the first gallon or more out (don't overfill then park it).

#7 ·
REWDOC said:
Bob,
My new 2008 GT reads "mls". Don't know what software version it's running, but I'm assuming (maybe falsely) that it's the newest. Manufacture date is 01/2008. I don't know if they did anything to the software at the 600 miles service.

Anyway, I have a question about the reserve light. Last week I had trouble finding fuel in Atlanta and finally found a station with gas when my computer states I could go 6 miles. However, it only took 5.3 gallons. I'm suppose to have 6.3 gal useable. One other time it said I could go 24 miles and took 5 gallons. The Caution triangle was on and the gas pump was blinking. Sounds like my fuel gauge is not accurate or I still have 1 gallon left when the computer reads 0 miles.
Dick,

See this thread, especially the summary at the bottom of post #9.

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14658

Cheers,

XMR

#8 ·
I ran the computer down to 2 miles to go and put in 5.8 gallons. This suggests 25-30 miles left assuming the pump will run it dry. This was accidental research so there was stress involved in finding the next open station.

According to the computer I averaged 48+ mpg on a 1400 mile round trip to Glacier PK and back. This was with as many miles at XXXmph as I could manage while watching the Valentine to avoid an "award". I've never got over 47 since, but never below 45.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.