What is wrong with the 2007 GT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 12:53 am Thread Starter

What is wrong with the 2007 GT?

After 23 years, I'm back in the game. Last year, I bought my first BMW, an 07 F650GS. I figured that since I live in NW Montana, that would be a great bike for road and off road, a little fishing in the mountains and enjoying the beautiful landscape that we have here.
I truely love the Beemer. but I've got a STRONG cravin for a GT. I need to pay off my truck this year, so this year is for research and dreaming.
What are the main gripes, if any, about the 06-07 GT's? I've only had a chance to ride an 04 K1200GT, and I really liked it, except for the forward riding position. It looks like they have solved this problem. (for me) as of 06.

I would like to hear input from you guys that have ridden them all and have the experiance to judge the different years.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 5:35 am

Well, I have owned a 2001 K120LT and now own a 2007 K1200GT and I love it! I have absolutely NO complaints now that I have had a friend customize the seat to fit me. No compliants at all. I just love every aspect of the bike. The seat was not a "fit" for me, but now I can ride all day. Love the power, handling, comfort, class, engine, ESA, cruise, all the rest! Greatest bike I have ever owned. And of course, remember, BLUE is best (and fastest)!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 30 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 8:45 am

An awesome machine right outta the box. Well ... almost. The seat is the only gripe from just about everyone. Although I still have the stock seat with 25K on mine. I've been around the country on it, and late this April I'm headed back out to the westcoast on it. It's definitely the best all-around machine I've ever owned. Everyone should have at least one of them!

post #4 of 30 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 10:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
An awesome machine right outta the box. Well ... almost. The seat is the only gripe from just about everyone. Although I still have the stock seat with 25K on mine. I've been around the country on it, and late this April I'm headed back out to the westcoast on it. It's definitely the best all-around machine I've ever owned. Everyone should have at least one of them!
+1 (I actually agree w/Joey Bloo-Teefs---wow! )

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #5 of 30 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 10:29 am

I came off an 04GS to the GT. Wife wanted something more "road touring" oriented ( We ride 2up part of the time). Only issues I found were the seat, which I dealt with by replacing with a custom one from Don Weber @ Mr. Ed's Moto and the bars were just a bit too low and forward. I sit sorta tall in the saddle and the lean forward put too much pressure on my hands and shoulders. Installed set of Helibars and change my riding position and that took care of most of that. While it's not quite as nimble as my GS and a touch front heavy - once I get rolling, it's a dream. Throttle took some getting use to since it's touchier than the GS to modulate but once I got the hang of that - WOW! As was mentioned, mine is blue - it's the faster color.
post #6 of 30 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 10:53 am

I bought my '06 used back in Jul '07 and have put about 10K on it so far. What a fantastic machine! The more I ride it, the more I like it. And I have to agree with those that say the stock seat is horrible. I picked up a used Russell and added a used V-Stream shield, and now it's much better for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #7 of 30 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 11:38 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input keep it coming

I would have to agree with you guys that like the blue color. That is definately what I've wanted from the start. The first two that I saw, were cruseing down I-90, just above Missoula MT., the sun was shining on them, and it was as good as seeing MT Rushmore for the first time, to me! Can you tell I've got the bug?
Seat issues are my main concern. I would like input on the different ones.
I am going to ride my 650 to the Gillette rally in July and that is my only concern. My butt does get sore on this bike. I might change it out to a Sargent, I just as well, I've bought just about every other after market toy for it.
Can't wait until next year to get a GT. I just am having a hard time convincing my wife that I need two bikes. Can't get rid of my first Beemer!
post #8 of 30 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 12:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheetz
After 23 years, I'm back in the game. Last year, I bought my first BMW, an 07 F650GS. I figured that since I live in NW Montana, that would be a great bike for road and off road, a little fishing in the mountains and enjoying the beautiful landscape that we have here.
I truely love the Beemer. but I've got a STRONG cravin for a GT. I need to pay off my truck this year, so this year is for research and dreaming.
What are the main gripes, if any, about the 06-07 GT's? I've only had a chance to ride an 04 K1200GT, and I really liked it, except for the forward riding position. It looks like they have solved this problem. (for me) as of 06.

I would like to hear input from you guys that have ridden them all and have the experiance to judge the different years.

Thanks
Take the first opportunity to ride a 2005 or newer GT. The 2004GT you have already ridden and the 2005-2008 models are completely different animals. The seating position on the 2004 can be rectified with Heli-Bar handlebar risers. The 2004GT is essentially a "tour-friendly" version of the K1200RS (made from 1998 through 2004). I personally like the appearance of the 2004 GT over the 2005-2008 models; It has a much more aggressive, sporty look. The 2005-up models are much more generic looking but have many more tour-friendly options and gadgets, including an adjustable suspension. They also run about 20hp more than the 2004GT you rode. Both are very nice bikes but I think a majority of knowledgeable forum members would give the nod to the 2005-and-later models as the preferable sport/touring choice. A comparative ride is the only way to decide........have fun!
post #9 of 30 Old Feb 7th, 2008, 3:32 pm

Exclamation Nit pickin' . . . sorry.

Just for the record ... the "new" model of GT came out in '06, not '05.
Just sayin'...
post #10 of 30 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 2:27 am

Forward Riding Position

I bought my 06 up in Oregon back in August and rode it back to Alabama and it rode every bit as good as my old LT, well better because it is not the least bit top heavy like the LT ( which was the only complaint I had with it but that was a huge one) I don't even notice it sitting forward. Easy six or seven hundred mile days with the Meyer seat.
post #11 of 30 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 9:37 am

I bought my 2007 KGT in June 2007. I look forward to every chance I get to ride it. More than anything else, I enjoy its fantastic power and agility, as well as its flexibility and all the comfort options - cruise, heated grips and seat, ESA, computer, etc.

The only complaint that I have is that the throttle is very sensitive and touchy. It's hard to control the throttle at low speeds, especially in bumpy situations (think: speed bumps, rough roads, chuck holes, etc.). That's where the overly-sensitive throttle can make the bike hard to control because it's very difficult to keep your wrist rock-solid steady. The bumps jerk your wrist every so slightly, the powerful engine can exaggerate the unstable motion and make it worse. Add "bucking bronco syndrome" (BBS) and it's a real problem for me. I have been told that the airbox replacement and software upgrade fixes it, or at least makes it liveable.

I am still waiting for airboxes to appear in greater numbers, and for the repair people to gain more experience doing the update.
post #12 of 30 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 11:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
The only complaint that I have is that the throttle is very sensitive and touchy. It's hard to control the throttle at low speeds, especially in bumpy situations...[snip]
Although your comment here is somewhat common, this doesn't apply to all GTs ... and certainly not to my '06. Perhaps years or riding very powereful bikes has helped me acquire a more sensitive throttle hand. I dunno. My ZX-11 had 148 ponies at the rear wheel. (And that still wasn't "enough"! ) My GT is very well-behaved at slow speeds, even with the cruise control engaged at say...35mph. Perhaps I just got lucky. And I'm 'OK' with that.

Just my
post #13 of 30 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 6:53 pm

I've found the GT to be a lot of fun. I did get the seat redone and changed the windshield. For long hauls, I think those are almost "musts".

The one problem I've had is a rough engine. I've recently gotten the new airbox design and the software update, and it's running a lot better. Some of the bikes do seem to exhibit this problem after a while. I don't know why some do, and some don't. In any case, if this happens, BMW will fix it, eventually.

It's running much better, but there is a spot in the power curve where the engine loses power, about in the middle. It hesitates, but if I give it more gas it takes off. I'm wondering if I should change the air filter and plugs. Maybe there's some residue left over from the fires we had down here.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #14 of 30 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 7:05 pm

Thumbs up No need to put up with the jerks

Quote:
The only complaint that I have is that the throttle is very sensitive and touchy. It's hard to control the throttle at low speeds, especially in bumpy situations (think: speed bumps, rough roads, chuck holes, etc.). That's where the overly-sensitive throttle can make the bike hard to control because it's very difficult to keep your wrist rock-solid steady. The bumps jerk your wrist every so slightly, the powerful engine can exaggerate the unstable motion and make it worse. Add "bucking bronco syndrome" (BBS) and it's a real problem for me. I have been told that the airbox replacement and software upgrade fixes it, or at least makes it liveable.

I am still waiting for airboxes to appear in greater numbers, and for the repair people to gain more experience doing the update.
Go for the new airbox, that should fix sensitive throttle issues.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #15 of 30 Old Feb 11th, 2008, 2:27 pm

airboxes are available

Quote:
I bought my 2007 KGT in June 2007. I look forward to every chance I get to ride it. More than anything else, I enjoy its fantastic power and agility, as well as its flexibility and all the comfort options - cruise, heated grips and seat, ESA, computer, etc.

Airboxes seem to be available in quantities. I had mine done in NYC in November. On the k-bike forum, most riders who have had problems with the snatchy throttle have gotten the replacements done. Speak to your local dealer....

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #16 of 30 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 12:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
Airboxes seem to be available in quantities. I had mine done in NYC in November. On the k-bike forum, most riders who have had problems with the snatchy throttle have gotten the replacements done. Speak to your local dealer....
I spoke with my local dealer, and the service manager tells me that BMW insists on installing the software (firmware?) upgrade only first. They won't replace the airbox unless the problems persist after the software upgrade.

Is this the common response for dealers around the country?

What are the chances that this is a long-term fix (versus delaying the inevitable)?

(P.S. I have 2+ years of warranty remaining on my KGT)
post #17 of 30 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 1:34 pm

Exclamation There are dealers then there are Dealers.

Quote:
I spoke with my local dealer, and the service manager tells me that BMW insists on installing the software (firmware?) upgrade only first. They won't replace the airbox unless the problems persist after the software upgrade.

Is this the common response for dealers around the country?

What are the chances that this is a long-term fix (versus delaying the inevitable)?

(P.S. I have 2+ years of warranty remaining on my KGT)
No that is not a common response. I don't even know if the old Idle Control Valve is compatible with the new 10.? software. Anyone know the answer to that?
I guess they could give it a try. If you still have the overly sensitive throttle insist that the airbox be replaced. Or just tell them that it has been sticking and is a danger to ride. Don't mention the internet!
I was fortunate that my GT went into HI/BBS mode (it had only happened about a dozen times) as I drove it to the dealer for it's 24,000 mile service. They got to see it first hand. This was when the new airboxs were just comming out.
A side effect (good) was that the new airbox and/or software also got rid of the sensitive throttle-- which had been improved upon a year before with only a software update.

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #18 of 30 Old Feb 12th, 2008, 6:51 pm

No problem getting the airbox replaced with the new one at my dealer (along with the firmware update). But it took a few months for the new airbox to arrive.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #19 of 30 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 8:37 am

I'm going to let the dealer perform the software upgrade (only) first, and keep an open mind. It's bound to better than what I have now.

If problems persist, then I will push for the airbox replacement.
post #20 of 30 Old Feb 13th, 2008, 11:20 am

Quote:
I'm going to let the dealer perform the software upgrade (only) first, and keep an open mind. It's bound to better than what I have now.

If problems persist, then I will push for the airbox replacement.
That's probably your best bet. When I took mine in the 2nd time, and mentioned it may be an airbox, the mechanic got defensive. He hummed and hawed and asked if this was the first time the bike had been in for this problem, and the office manager said no, it was the second, and I wanted it fixed if possible in time for a trip that weekend. He then relented, but he clearly was not interested in changing the airbox right off.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #21 of 30 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 10:08 am

Re: What is wrong with the 2007 GT?

I got the software upgrade on my K1200GT two days ago. The change was instantly apparent, and clearly for the better (at least from my point of view).

1. The throttle is VERY much smoother; more to my liking. I have to rotate the throttle more than before, but that's okay. Bumps that tweak the throttle don't cause the bike to jerk in a self-exaggerating motion (no more "feedback-loop" on bumpy roads).

2. The jerking and surging (BBS) in low gear at low RPM is significantly reduced, but it is still there somewhat.

3. Engine braking is reduced, but in a good way. It was simply overwhelming before; like giving the brakes a good squeeze. Now, rolling off the throttle yields comfortable, smooth engine braking.

4. Shifting is way smoother, too. It is much easier to accelerate at the green light in a "genteel" way. I can't explain why the gear clunking is reduced, but it is. Because engine breaking is reduced, and throttle control is better, it is easier to set the correct engine RPMs when shifting up or down.

5. The throttle lag (dead spot) around 4,000 RPM is still there, unchanged from before. If you roll on the throttle very hard around 4,000 RPM, there is a quarter-second hesitation before the acceleration kicks in.

6. The bike still has way more power and acceleration than I would ever need. It may take more roll on to get it, and peak power and torque may be reduced. I would gladly trade reduced peak horsepower and torque (especially if it is spread across a wider RPM range) in return for excellent throttle control.

Bottom line: The bike is SO much more rideable and useable than before.
post #22 of 30 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 8:04 pm

Quote:
I got the software upgrade on my K1200GT two days ago. The change was instantly apparent, and clearly for the better (at least from my point of view).

2. The jerking and surging (BBS) in low gear at low RPM is significantly reduced, but it is still there somewhat.

6. The bike still has way more power and acceleration than I would ever need. It may take more roll on to get it, and peak power and torque may be reduced. I would gladly trade reduced peak horsepower and torque (especially if it is spread across a wider RPM range) in return for excellent throttle control.

Bottom line: The bike is SO much more rideable and useable than before.
XMagna,

#2. What you are feeling in low gear is probably not BBS. The Bucking Bronco is usually accompanied by the High Idle and can happen in all gears at any speed!
You are probably feeling a touch of left over throttle sensitiveness combined with driveline slack. The only time I use first gear is to accelerate to second gear, or into my parking space after the garage door goes up. Second works best for me in school zones (20 mph here).

#6. I don't think anyone has published a before and after dyno chart or quarter mile times for the old vs. new airbox/software. The butt dynos are all over the place on this one. Butt dynos are very inaccurate as are wallet dynos. I think they are to close to the a-holes. Sorry! Poor attempt at humor, my writers are still on strike!

Your other observations are pretty much the same as others with the new airbox. even the tech that did mine commented on how much better the over all drivability was improved.

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #23 of 30 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 9:46 pm
fas

Talking Re: What is wrong with the 2007 GT?

Quote:

Thanks
Terry,

My 2006 GT has been flawless. My wife loves it too. She has been hanging on the back of my bikes since the very first one back in 1971 and she absolutely loves the ride quality of the GT. I have ESA as do most of the new GT bikes and it is amazing. I added the Z-Technik shield and SO reports a 25% reduction in buffetting.

I love the power and braking of the GT. Intuitive response. The bike is so comfortable at high speeds. We always way to the HD folks as we blow past at speeds near 2x their speeds.

Good luck with your decision making process.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #24 of 30 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 10:00 pm

I have no major complaints. I am probably one of the few who doesn't even mind the seat. It is a little twitchy right around 2800 RPM which I find annoying. Does anyone else notice this? If I'm at a stop and I hold the RPM's at 2800, it will pulse +/- 200 RPM. Rolling off in a turn when I pass thru 2800, the RPMs will drop off suddenly resulting in excessive engine braking causing me to roll into the turn too tight...annoying at times. Rolling back on to counteract this and it will increase more than I want surging above 2800. I don't mind the throttle behavior otherwise.
post #25 of 30 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 10:17 pm

Exclamation Don't let her blow off

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
Terry,

My 2006 GT has been flawless. My wife loves it too. She has been hanging on the back of my bikes since the very first one back in 1971 and she absolutely loves the ride quality of the GT.
I would say you have a keeper. Actually TWO keepers!

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #26 of 30 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 8:06 am
fas

Talking Re: Don't let her blow off

Quote:
Originally Posted by norriscooper
I would say you have a keeper. Actually TWO keepers!

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

+1

Terry,

Thanks and yes, I am a lucky man. Here she is enjoying the Opera House in Paris. Napolean had a special side entrance built with his own security ideas, fearful that he would be assasinated. He NEVER got to use it! We have been to Europe over 30 times and whenever possible she is with me. I got lucky as a young man and met her in 8th grade. She was my prom date, pinmate at Lambda Chi Alpha when we were at Penn State together, and she gave me two sons. We are over 1,000,000 miles of riding together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sue in Paris Opera House.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	16683  

Rob Nelson

Grey Goose
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #27 of 30 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 9:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by norriscooper
XMagna,

#2. What you are feeling in low gear is probably not BBS. The Bucking Bronco is usually accompanied by the High Idle and can happen in all gears at any speed!
You are probably feeling a touch of left over throttle sensitiveness combined with driveline slack. The only time I use first gear is to accelerate to second gear, or into my parking space after the garage door goes up. Second works best for me in school zones (20 mph here).

#6. I don't think anyone has published a before and after dyno chart or quarter mile times for the old vs. new airbox/software. The butt dynos are all over the place on this one. Butt dynos are very inaccurate as are wallet dynos. I think they are to close to the a-holes. Sorry! Poor attempt at humor, my writers are still on strike!

Your other observations are pretty much the same as others with the new airbox. even the tech that did mine commented on how much better the over all drivability was improved.

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
Good points. Thanks.

One comment on butt dynos vs. real dynos: I try to share my experiences with the group and be as objective as I can. Hopefully it helps. Besides, I bet it HURTS to get your butt dyno calibrated.
post #28 of 30 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 12:48 pm

Exclamation Butt Dyno needs to be calibrated

Quote:
Good points. Thanks.

One comment on butt dynos vs. real dynos: I try to share my experiences with the group and be as objective as I can. Hopefully it helps. Besides, I bet it HURTS to get your butt dyno calibrated.
XMag,
My semi-objective Butt Dyno could not tell any difference in power.

Everyone should get their Butt Dynos calibrated when it turns fifty.
This is VERY important. If Katie Couric can do it so can you. It doesn't hurt and could save your life.

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #29 of 30 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 7:07 pm
fas

Talking Butt dyno accuracy

Quote:
Good points. Thanks.

+1

We were testing a new experimental formulae with Penske Racing and the driver did about 6 lap run. His lap times got faster and faster. When he came in to the pits I asked him how he liked it. He said it was too smooth. Didn't feel the bite. HE didn't like it. Then I handed him his lap times. He smiled and went out to run another stint. They raced it that weekend. Even at that level, the butt dyno can trick your mind.

Rob Nelson

Grey Goose
Toscana Temptress

post #30 of 30 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 3:56 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
What is wrong with the 2007 GT?

Quote:

Thanks
Nothing! It could very well be the most flawless machine ever produced. I have toyed with replacing the seat and the windshield, but STILL have not done it.

When it's too cold to ride, just saddle her up in the garage, and you have your fix. Nothing else like it!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in