What Tires Did You Like Best On Your Gt? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jan 1st, 2008, 5:40 pm Thread Starter

What Tires Did You Like Best On Your Gt?

My tires (expecially the rear) are wearing thin and I need to replace them soon. What tires have you used on your GT and like the BEST??? Sure would like some input before ordering!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jan 1st, 2008, 5:48 pm

Jack,
What tires did your GT come with? Mine came with the BT020's and they were okay. I have been using the Continental road attacks since and really like them. I am sure others will chime in with their choice.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #3 of 20 Old Jan 1st, 2008, 5:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Jack,
What tires did your GT come with? Mine came with the BT020's and they were okay. I have been using the Continental road attacks since and really like them. I am sure others will chime in with their choice.

Mine came with the Metzelers. No complaints really, just a bit of a funky wear pattern on the front one, but they seems to grip well. Got about 7K out of them, but then, I change my tires when they get anywhere near "thin".

Did you like the Road Attacks better than the "stones"?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 20 Old Jan 1st, 2008, 5:54 pm

tires

Jack
Don't have a GT but would stay away from Dunlop 220's that came on my new RT. The front really catched the rain grooves on the freeways. Seems the Metz z6 and road pilots are pretty popular. I'm still trying to get the dealer to swap the tires from the RT, only have 200 miles on them.

good luck in your choice, cycle gear seem to have pretty decent prices if you have one near.

Rich

Rich

07 R1200RT Bairitz Blue
06 K1200LT Storm Grey
06 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic FLHTCUI
post #5 of 20 Old Jan 1st, 2008, 5:54 pm

Mine came with the BTo20's and the front cupped (suprise, suprise). Then I went to the Conti Road Attacks and liked them just fine. I'm now using the Michelin P2's and they are a great, dual compound tire. Harder in the middle for high mileage and soft on the outside for more grip while laid over and grip they do. The are wearing most excellent and with about 3k on them the wear is negligable and the rear hasn't even started to square yet.

The biggest problem I have with the P2's is the sipe comes up the outside of the tire so high that I have a 3/4 inch chicken strip that drives me kwazy.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #6 of 20 Old Jan 1st, 2008, 10:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
... The biggest problem I have with the P2's is the sipe comes up the outside of the tire so high that I have a 3/4 inch chicken strip that drives me kwazy.
Use a file on 'em. I won't tell.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #7 of 20 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 8:32 am

Hey Jack,

I can't say how they would work on a GT but the Avon Storms are working very well on my LT. They are actually tailored for the Sport Touring crowd, (RT, GT, ST, Honda, Yamaha). They are reasonably priced and most likely cheaper than Metzs. They stick like glue in corners and ride smooth. A lot of LTers use them and seem to get about 10k+ out of them. The LT might be a little too heavy for them but I'm ok with the performance. If I was pressed for an answer as to changing back to the ME 880s I would have to say no.

Got mine at swmototire.com with free shipping.
post #8 of 20 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:36 am

Tars

Jack,
I get 9000 miles out of the Avon 55/56 Storms. Great dry weather and wet weather performance. No good on snow.
I want try try the Michelin Pilot Road 2's sometime. I hear noting but good about them.
Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #9 of 20 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:38 am

Another thang I love about the GT: so many choices of tires.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 20 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 2:19 pm

Garage
I have the MPR2's under the GT for 6600 km now (4100 miles). Hardly any wear visible, good grip in dry and wet conditions. On dry pavement in corners the PR2's stick like chewing gum

I've got the MPR2 B in the rear for better stability ('B' version is for heavier bikes).

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #11 of 20 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 10:29 am

My GT came with Bridgestone 020s. They were acceptable, although the front cupped badly.

I now have about 1.5k on Avon Storms, and they're great so far. They handle well and have plenty of grip, wet or dry. Too soon to know about cupping, but I haven't heard of any complaints.
post #12 of 20 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:51 am

Grif, Erwin, have either of you had a chance to run the P2's on grooved pavement. When I was in Colorado last September, on I25 the BT's were terrible on the grooved pavement. That was my first experience with the grooved pavement wobble and the pucker factor was way up for the first few miles.
post #13 of 20 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 2:25 pm

Quote:
... The biggest problem I have with the P2's is the sipe comes up the outside of the tire so high that I have a 3/4 inch chicken strip that drives me kwazy.
I've been using the Michelin P2 on my GT almost since they were introduced (which happened to coincide with my needing tires). Just went down to the garage and checked - sure enough, 3/4 inch chicken strips.

Now that I know how well they're supposed to grip in the twisties, I may reduce the size of the chicken strip this spring when I get back into the nearby western NC mountains.

Sorry - don't remember riding them on grooved pavement.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #14 of 20 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 3:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
Grif, Erwin, have either of you had a chance to run the P2's on grooved pavement. When I was in Colorado last September, on I25 the BT's were terrible on the grooved pavement. That was my first experience with the grooved pavement wobble and the pucker factor was way up for the first few miles.
Hey James, they all ride like crap on grooved pavement. The thang to do is just relax and let it wobble.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #15 of 20 Old Jan 4th, 2008, 4:03 pm

Garage
Quote:
Grif, Erwin, have either of you had a chance to run the P2's on grooved pavement.
No experiences here with the MPR2's on grooved pavement. All I ever did in the past (other tyres, other bikes) is to just let go, knees pressed against the tank, hands gently on the handle bar, look where you want to go and let the bike find its way there...

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #16 of 20 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 9:22 am

Quote:
Hey James, they all ride like crap on grooved pavement. The thang to do is just relax and let it wobble.
I kinda figured that, the wobble must be related to size, because my cruiser with a much larger front tire (Avon Venom), never did that. One thing that I have noticed on the BT's, is the more that they cup, the more they wobble. IMHO, that BT front is a lousy tire. They were OEM on my cruiser and did the same thing.
post #17 of 20 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 10:57 am

Quote:
I kinda figured that, the wobble must be related to size, because my cruiser with a much larger front tire (Avon Venom), never did that. One thing that I have noticed on the BT's, is the more that they cup, the more they wobble. IMHO, that BT front is a lousy tire. They were OEM on my cruiser and did the same thing.
And they did the same thing on the LT. Though, when they came out with a set for the LT, we were thrilled. The Excedra's my LT came with in 2000 lasted about 3500 miles.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #18 of 20 Old Jan 5th, 2008, 4:35 pm

In my experience, tires with treads that tend to run parallel to the direction of travel wobble a lot more on freeways with rain grooves. I prefer tires with treads that angle across the width of the tire. They aren't as good in the rain, but they are much better on freeway grooves.
post #19 of 20 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 5:39 pm

I agree with Xmagnarider, I just got the original Dunlop 220 replaced with Michelin PilotII's on a r12rt and don't have any of the problems that the dunlops did with the rain grooves.

Rich

07 R1200RT Bairitz Blue
06 K1200LT Storm Grey
06 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic FLHTCUI
post #20 of 20 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 5:55 pm
fas

Talking GT rubber

My GT came with B'Stones and they lasted 10,000 miles. I ride 2-up a lot and I am anal about keeping after tire pressures. My cruise control is usually set on 85. Bursts to nirvana are frequently enjoyed (necessary to maintain my need for speed). I put Metz on based on how much I liked Metz on my LT and some insight from riding pals in the Fatherland where speed is not a sin.

Jack, thanks again for that book.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in