Should I stick w/the LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

Should I stick w/the LT

Hey guys - I've had an RT, GT, and now an 05 LT. The GT was an 04 and it killed my shoulders with the front lean. My LT is one of the finest machines I've owned and I ride 160 miles r/t four days a week, typically year round- in the Seattle weather (rain, and more rain).

Looking at a used 07 GT that has lots of farkles on it. Local dealer wants to give me $10g for a trade and wants close to $18g for the GT.

Opinions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 2:32 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I say ride the GT and see if it sings to you if not keep the LT. I is only up to you to decide

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 40 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 2:32 pm

If you had problems with riding position on the GT, and not the LT,

you have failed to post what you are looking to get out of the GT ?

speed ?, weight reduction ?

Either way, you need to make the decision on what makes you happy, not what we think.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the ride !!

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles

post #4 of 40 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 4:52 pm

What I have noticed being in the BMW circles for a while now, most guys are 6'0" and taller where egronomics have a major role in comfort.

I'm 5'10" 170 lbs, 32" inseam 38R in jacket. I have had both the 05LT and the new 07GT. They have very distinct personalities. You have to decide on what you want and what you can give up on either, but most of all is what is comfortable to you (weight, ride, power, braking, cornering and wind protection, 2 up riding).
post #5 of 40 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 7:43 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Well, you asked for it.

The LT has better wind protection, more upright ergonomics, and much better two-up comfort. The hydraulic center stand is nice, as is the built-in stereo. It's also 200+ lbs heavier which can be significant (and is why you need that powered center stand).

The GT just plain does everything else better. It is lighter, more agile, seriously faster (an extra 50 HP really shines here), and the Duolever/ESA is an amazingly useful combination in real world conditions.

Personally, I'd prefer a midway bike, such as a K1200RT. Give me the slant/4 motor and new suspension, but with a larger fairing and more upright ergonomics. I've come close to that with my GT by adding an AeroFlow windscreen and AeroGards, Suburban Machinery bar risers, and a Bakup back rest. I had added Verholen peg extenders which actually gave more leg room than an LT, but later took them off. But all that does add to the overall cost and it isn't as elegant as a factory RT-style bike would be.

So if you primarily ride solo and are willing to do a bit of tweaking, then the GT is a great bike. Think of it as "stepping down" from a 7-Series Bimmer to an M3. Not quite as many luxury comforts, but more agile and much quicker.

Your LT could fetch around $13-$14K on the open market, if you're willing to wait for the right buyer and deal with the extra hassles of a private sale. Though this isn't really the best time to be selling a bike.

But the real test is to take the GT for a nice, long test ride and see if it works for you. Beside the financial concerns, that's all that really matters.

Wish I was still up in Portland. I'd be glad to let you take my GT for a spin so you can get in a good, long ride with the modified ergonomics.

Hope that helps some.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 40 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 8:53 pm

I was going to give you a one-word answer: NO

but then I saw this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMarshal
I ride 160 miles r/t four days a week, typically year round- in the Seattle weather (rain, and more rain).

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 40 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 9:29 pm Thread Starter

So overalll...

With Ken out of the fold at this point because I know he rides hard and far, and in all types of weather; how about you other guys who piped in. How do find the GT regarding weather protection? I know it's not like the LT.
post #8 of 40 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 11:06 pm

To each his own !

I went from 1100RT, to 1200LT, to 1200GS, to 1200GT and back to my old 1200LT

The RT and the GT were not exactly right for me. Leg cramps, not comfortable with light weight of bike on road, great for in-town, twisties, etc., but I don't need the power/speed thing ! It's great to have when needed, but not one of my requirements. My comfort takes first place and the LT provides it for me, better weather protection, heated seat works better cause there's more surface contact area and my wife likes the back seat better. You know what they say, if she is not happy, I am not happy !

More truth to that than you know !

Anyway, LT's back in the garage and the GT will be going up for sale very shortly....

If you get a chance to ride the GT, most definitely do it and not just around the block, get as much time as you can, so you can get past the aw factor !

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #9 of 40 Old Dec 17th, 2007, 11:08 pm

If you do go the GT way I have a friend who is looking for a good used LT in the Seattle area and I am sure he would give you a much better deal than trade in. Let me know and I'll hook you up with him.

2006 K1200LT - found a new owner

2008 R1200GS for sale

2008 R1200GS-Adventure - fun with 8.7 gallons of gas
post #10 of 40 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 4:17 am

Tim,
As everyone else has stated, They are two very different bikes. Remember going from a harley to the LT? Remember the quantum leap in handling and fun factor? You will feel the same leap going from the LT to the GT. But, Its not that simple. Some weather protection and some luxuries are lost along with those 200+ pounds. You really need to go to the dealer and test drive one for several hours or a day if possible. I could always let you borrow mine if you are interested.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #11 of 40 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 1:39 pm

Smile

Why not look at something that *Does it all* like Dual Sport * for comfort and touring?? Either the GS or V-Strom.

I went from an 05 LT to an 07 V-Strom 1000 and I am quite comfortable
since I have added the requisite Pacific Northwest Farkles!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #12 of 40 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Brian

for the offer to let me ride the GT...

Seems more logical to me that the LT stays put, as I have put 10,000 miles on it in just a little over 4 months for my 160 mile r/t to work. Besides, I have recently had Mark Reis do 1G in wiring on it.

I appreciate all of the wisdom out there.

BTW - I did a 6200 mile x-country trip on my 04 GT - had fun, but I remember the pain....
post #13 of 40 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 6:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Tim,
Some weather protection and some luxuries are lost along with those 200+ pounds.
I kept my '05LT for 6 months, overlapping ownership with the LT and GT. At the end of the 6 months I hardly rode the LT during the overlap. Question was answered for me. I would not hesitate touring long distance (I have) on my GT and not be concerned about anything!I missed the 'memory' of the fine times on the LT but not the bike itself.

Good luck in your decision.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #14 of 40 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 6:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
I kept my '05LT for 6 months, overlapping ownership with the LT and GT. At the end of the 6 months I hardly rode the LT during the overlap. Question was answered for me. I would not hesitate touring long distance (I have) on my GT and not be concerned about anything!I missed the 'memory' of the fine times on the LT but not the bike itself.

John,
I loved my LT and think it is the nicest looking bike made. I also think its the best 2 up bike out there. Like you, I am fully satisfied with the GT. Everytime I'm riding it I'm convinced its the right bike for me.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #15 of 40 Old Dec 18th, 2007, 9:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro

This is probably the most useful answer.

If you can afford to have both, do so. The GT is a different animal, but you have to be in decent shape because your legs and knees have to pass the test due to the more agressive riding position. Jacking with the ergonomics of the GT (raising the bars, lowering pegs, installing a big windscreen) will not create a K1200RT. The GT cannot be made into a KRT.

For me, having owned (and loved) the K1200RS for many miles prior to trying a K1200LT (with which I was emotionally lukewarm), all the stars aligned once I put some miles on the GT. The GT is the right machine for me....it didn't hit me during the first 1000 miles...but after the second 1000 miles, I knew.

The GT is most satisfying (and designed for) the low position. Bars in low setting, seat down and pegs in the stock setting. Raise the stock shield a few inches at highway speeds only.

Keep both and be prepared to sell one or the other after a few months.

My 2 cents.

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #16 of 40 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 6:33 am

Tim, in 2004 I bought a new RT. In 2006 I bought a new LT. In 2007 a new GT and now I am back to the 2008RT---to stay.

Best bike for the long haul was the LT. Great weather protection, driving position and nimbleness. It is the one bike of late I wish I'd kept. The GT is intoxicating given the power, but, it does not come close in wind or weather protection and especially handling in the turns. Read this link that recognizes the bike needs "considerable effort" in the corners.

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...-R-1200-GT.htm

If you had an RT and LT, you will miss the nimbleness and confidence these bikes give you in the corners. I also found that the throttle response is either instant "on" or instant "off." You can't bleed into the power on corners or slow manouvers like on an LT or RT.

This being said, the GT is smooth and powerful on the open road. A great bike. My 2007 is over at Ride West, check it out.

Scout70
2008 RT
2007R1200S
1994 R1100RS
1995 993 C4
post #17 of 40 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 7:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout70
Tim, in 2004 I bought a new RT. In 2006 I bought a new LT. In 2007 a new GT and now I am back to the 2008RT---to stay.

Best bike for the long haul was the LT. Great weather protection, driving position and nimbleness. It is the one bike of late I wish I'd kept. The GT is intoxicating given the power, but, it does not come close in wind or weather protection and especially handling in the turns. Read this link that recognizes the bike needs "considerable effort" in the corners.

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...-R-1200-GT.htm

If you had an RT and LT, you will miss the nimbleness and confidence these bikes give you in the corners. I also found that the throttle response is either instant "on" or instant "off." You can't bleed into the power on corners or slow manouvers like on an LT or RT.

This being said, the GT is smooth and powerful on the open road. A great bike. My 2007 is over at Ride West, check it out.

Scout70
2008 RT
2007R1200S
1994 R1100RS
1995 993 C4
While the GT may not be as nimble in the twisties as the RT, it certainly isn't a pig. Nor is it a wrestlefest. I've found the bike, especially after doing 108,000 on the LT, an absolute delight and extremely nimble.

Quoting from the article: "but generally speaking this motorcycle requires sound riding skills to show itself in its best light. Perfectly stable, it does however require considerable effort on the handlebar when cornering and, consequently, good anticipation if you want to step up the pace."

While you shouldn't be a rookie to ride a GT, neither should you be afraid. My take on this feller's article is the bike spooked him. I'm perfectly comfortabel strafing the goat snot out of our Tejas twisties.... with aplomb. I find the bike to almost be telepathic: I look, it goes.

Remember: that article is that feller's opinion. He later goes on and pans the bags. Uh, the RT has bags, too.

You put two equal riders on an RT and a GT and the GT will blow the RT away in the twisties.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

Last edited by grifscoots; Dec 19th, 2007 at 7:28 am.
post #18 of 40 Old Dec 19th, 2007, 12:25 pm

I agree with your assessment of the article--writers opinion. I loved my GT out on the open road. The power is intoxicating and the ride is great. I for one do not like the throttle response at low speeds. The LT and RT have throttles one can "bleed" into and not disrupt the balance or tracking of the bike. For example, one needs to be extremely cautious about moving ones right had up to scroll through the on-board computer at slower speeds to avoid sudden and significant acceleration from any slight movement of the wrist. Or, accelerating while making a turn in an intersection at a slow speed and angle to the roadway. The LT and RT are much more forgiving.

As to the article, I think the writer is quite accurate when he discusses entering corners with the GT. One needs to concentrate and set up correct because the bike will not bend like an RT will. An RT in the corners is effortless and really becomes an extension of the body. If anything it will over-steer. The GT requires some concentration and bending to accomodate tight turns. The article points that out and why the RT is the better "in-town" machine.

Guess the answer is to have all three or get BMW to make a K1200RT
post #19 of 40 Old Dec 21st, 2007, 8:42 pm
fas

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
While the GT may not be as nimble in the twisties as the RT, it certainly isn't a pig. Nor is it a wrestlefest. I've found the bike, especially after doing 108,000 on the LT, an absolute delight and extremely nimble.

Quoting from the article: "but generally speaking this motorcycle requires sound riding skills to show itself in its best light. Perfectly stable, it does however require considerable effort on the handlebar when cornering and, consequently, good anticipation if you want to step up the pace."

While you shouldn't be a rookie to ride a GT, neither should you be afraid. My take on this feller's article is the bike spooked him. I'm perfectly comfortabel strafing the goat snot out of our Tejas twisties.... with aplomb. I find the bike to almost be telepathic: I look, it goes.

Remember: that article is that feller's opinion. He later goes on and pans the bags. Uh, the RT has bags, too.

You put two equal riders on an RT and a GT and the GT will blow the RT away in the twisties.

+1

The writer is a pussy.

Can I say that here?

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #20 of 40 Old Dec 21st, 2007, 8:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
+1

The writer is a pussy.

Can I say that here?
I think you just did

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #21 of 40 Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 9:43 am

Keep it

Keep the LT. You wll miss the radio and all the other do-dads.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #22 of 40 Old Dec 24th, 2007, 8:24 pm

Keep the LT absolutely. Especially with long all weather commutes. 10K for an '05. Of course he will give you that and then make a bundle on it when he sells it for 15K to someone off the street. That of course is after he makes a bundle on selling you a GT with farkles, etc.

I love my LT. I have ridden a new GT many times. It is way too cramped for me. It isn't anywhere near as comfortable or as smooth...

I certainly wouldn't trade for a GT or an RT...
post #23 of 40 Old Dec 24th, 2007, 8:56 pm

I've got to agree with the last few posts saying to keep the LT.... I would love to have the GT but the truth is the LT is a better ride for me... Getting close to 60 and being 6'4" at 265lbs the LT is the only BMW other than the GS that doesn't cramp me... And the weight really isn't a factor for me with the LT......

Take the advise from here and go take a couple of long test rides to be sure but it really sounds like the LT is you... Its got speed, handling, and looks,what else is there ...........Pete
post #24 of 40 Old Dec 25th, 2007, 11:09 am

Question LT or GT ?

If I could afford to keep both, I probably would not..

I appreciate the GT weight factor, & available power/speed, ESA & tracking capabilities.

But there are others factors that will keep me on the LT.

Comfort, yes an old fart like me needs to be comfortable

My back does not bother me, and me left knee does not get cramped and ruin the ride, old motorcycle injuries, 2X's on same knee, some luck !

Better wind/weather protection.

Stock seat works for me, with added C&G Backrest.

Heated seat transfers more warmth, due to larger seating surface.

Wife is comfortable !!!!!!!!! So I'm much happier.

We both ride more together without aftereffects of ride that we experienced on the GT. (Both of us have disabling injuries to deal with)

I frankly enjoy abilitiy to listen to music without use of headset/earphones ! Helmet headsets give me a headache after some time and I have to turn radio off. I like my music, XM etc...

More stable ride down road, less wind effects, etc. More weight yes, but I appreciate the heavier ride a little more after getting back on a lighter bike.

I have not been back on the GT since I got my old LT back.

It did not take me very long at all to get back into the LT, weight and all...

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #25 of 40 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 3:27 pm

Lt

Atta boy for keep the "real" man motorcycle. We also like to take care of our passenger, like "real" men should do.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #26 of 40 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 3:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
Atta boy for keep the "real" man motorcycle. We also like to take care of our passenger, like "real" men should do.
Dayem. Did you just call me a faggot?

(Hey John, no tongue in cheek emoticon. I'm just messing with ya, man)

-=grif=-

Grok
post #27 of 40 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 3:47 pm

No you did not.

Quote:
Dayem. Did you just call me a faggot?

(Hey John, no tongue in cheek emoticon. I'm just messing with ya, man)

Did you sell your LT???????????? You did not buy a Girl only Travel (GT) motorcycle.???? And I would never call you a faggot, that smokes a cigar and dips copenhagen. You be the man.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #28 of 40 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 6:06 pm

Quote:
Did you sell your LT???????????? You did not buy a Girl only Travel (GT) motorcycle.???? And I would never call you a faggot, that smokes a cigar and dips copenhagen. You be the man.
Yeppir, no LT, just the girly travel bike in my gearage. Sandar the mag has given up on riding. She gave it a good 15 years and just started to slowly beg off. I don't know if it was the heat, West Texas, the heat, the cold, the heat, the boredom, the heat, the wet, the heat, the wind, or the heat that did it. I don't think it helped her seeing me staggering around with some smashed ribs after I went down. So, I decided if she wasn't gonna ride, that I need somethang a might more feminine to putt around on. And seeings how I only have to carry one purse now, the GT is poifect!

Come to think of it, I think I'll sell her riding gear and buy me a new gun. I hear Keltec has them in pink now!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #29 of 40 Old Dec 27th, 2007, 8:18 pm

Smile Hit For the Cycle

Tim,

So far you've had an RT, an LT and a GT. Yer durn near half way to collecting the complete set of consonant suffixes offered by BMW. Thing to do would be to pick up a GS next, or maybe an S or an ST. Or maybe even an HP

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #30 of 40 Old Dec 29th, 2007, 3:33 pm

I was just kidden

Quote:
Yeppir, no LT, just the girly travel bike in my gearage. Sandar the mag has given up on riding. She gave it a good 15 years and just started to slowly beg off. I don't know if it was the heat, West Texas, the heat, the cold, the heat, the boredom, the heat, the wet, the heat, the wind, or the heat that did it. I don't think it helped her seeing me staggering around with some smashed ribs after I went down. So, I decided if she wasn't gonna ride, that I need somethang a might more feminine to putt around on. And seeings how I only have to carry one purse now, the GT is poifect!

Come to think of it, I think I'll sell her riding gear and buy me a new gun. I hear Keltec has them in pink now!
I thought about giving up the LT too. The SO does't ride that much or often an more either. You know, the mommy thing. But I just my LT, just a darn go running scooter. Did a 280 mile ride today. Just a blast on the LT.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #31 of 40 Old Dec 29th, 2007, 4:33 pm

Quote:
Did a 280 mile ride today. Just a blast on the LT.
Not to mention the fact that you're such a talented rider.

I worked on an LT for a couple of days a few weeks back. When I got thru, I ran it up the street and immediately turned around. No confidence on it whatsoever and I could really feel the extra 200 lbs. It's amazing to me that I used to throw the thang around like it was nothing. A year on the GT has really spoiled me.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #32 of 40 Old Dec 29th, 2007, 5:59 pm

Stop it..........

Quote:
Not to mention the fact that you're such a talented rider.

I worked on an LT for a couple of days a few weeks back. When I got thru, I ran it up the street and immediately turned around. No confidence on it whatsoever and I could really feel the extra 200 lbs. It's amazing to me that I used to throw the thang around like it was nothing. A year on the GT has really spoiled me.

I would be in the same boat if i gave the beast up. I am not the spring chicken i use to be.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #33 of 40 Old Dec 31st, 2007, 12:22 pm

GT Verses LT

My wife made up my mind. I've been a Honda man most of my life and rode mostly one up because my wife, who was an OR nurse saw too many M/C accident victims, would not get on the back. The GT is a great bike but I've found that I rode it too fast and took too many chances for my age. On the other hand,now that my wife is retired she wants to travel and the only bike she wanted to be on was the LT. For two up the LT is by far the best all weather touring bike produced today. For one up, I would probably go with th GT.

2012 K1600GT - Red

2011 R1200RT
2000K1200LTC - Champagne
1984 Yamaha Venture
1975 Honda 750
1973 Honda 750
post #34 of 40 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:21 am

And what about a GT if you're TALL?

Well, I've been "away" from the site awhile, and partly came back because I'm pondering the same question as is discussed in this thread. I've always figured I'd just wait until the "next-gen" LT came out (2009? 2010?), figuring it would likely gain the horsies of the GT, shed a few dozen pounds, and yet still have the creature comforts of the LT.

But I'm gettin' a little antsy, so I too am contemplating a GT...especially when I hear Grif saying what great ride it is. I've ridden with him, and there are few better riders out there, so I REALLY respect his opinion (at least on riding - not on much else ).

My biggest "issue" with the GT is riding position, more specifically discomfort both above and below the waist. Being 6'5" with bad knees (too many years of basketball), I not only want to be able to sit upright (not hunched over with weight on my wrists), but be able to have my legs at least at a 90 degree angle (and "stretched out" on extended rides). My LT (with Suburban peg extenders, J-Pegs and highway ottomans, and a custom seat that raises me up about 3" higher than stock) is purrfect for me, so I'm just wondering to what extent the GT can be similarly modified(?).

I see that you can now get handlebar risers for the GT, which might allow sitting more upright, but is there anything you can do about leg position?

My tentative plan has been to wait for the next-gen LT and replace BOTH of my bikes with that. Right now I have the LT for long and/or two-up trips, and the Aprilia Caponord (300lbs lighter with same 100hp so MUCH quicker) for day trips and around town. I figured a lighter, quicker LT would give me the best of both worlds...

One thing this thread has made me consider is replacing JUST the Aprilia - with a GT (if the above issues can really be addressed), and keep the LT as a second bike for LD and/or two-up trips...Hmmm...

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #35 of 40 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 8:08 pm
fas

Talking Old red VS new GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Yates
Well, I've been "away" from the site awhile, and partly came back because I'm pondering the same question as is discussed in this thread. I've always figured I'd just wait until the "next-gen" LT came out (2009? 2010?), figuring it would likely gain the horsies of the GT, shed a few dozen pounds, and yet still have the creature comforts of the LT.

But I'm gettin' a little antsy, so I too am contemplating a GT...especially when I hear Grif saying what great ride it is. I've ridden with him, and there are few better riders out there, so I REALLY respect his opinion (at least on riding - not on much else ).

My biggest "issue" with the GT is riding position, more specifically discomfort both above and below the waist. Being 6'5" with bad knees (too many years of basketball), I not only want to be able to sit upright (not hunched over with weight on my wrists), but be able to have my legs at least at a 90 degree angle (and "stretched out" on extended rides). My LT (with Suburban peg extenders, J-Pegs and highway ottomans, and a custom seat that raises me up about 3" higher than stock) is purrfect for me, so I'm just wondering to what extent the GT can be similarly modified(?).

I see that you can now get handlebar risers for the GT, which might allow sitting more upright, but is there anything you can do about leg position?

My tentative plan has been to wait for the next-gen LT and replace BOTH of my bikes with that. Right now I have the LT for long and/or two-up trips, and the Aprilia Caponord (300lbs lighter with same 100hp so MUCH quicker) for day trips and around town. I figured a lighter, quicker LT would give me the best of both worlds...

One thing this thread has made me consider is replacing JUST the Aprilia - with a GT (if the above issues can really be addressed), and keep the LT as a second bike for LD and/or two-up trips...Hmmm...
Bruce,

I love my GT. The adjustability of the bars combined with the seat adjustment works for me. The power to weight will make your red bike seem a bit slow.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #36 of 40 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 9:14 pm

Tall?

6'3" here . . . but I can only ride it for about 1,200 miles or so in one day, then I have to get off the thing for a few hours. Stock seat, by the way.

I'll be riding it back out to the west coast for the Cambria ride. Stock seat. Bars all the way DOWN. Lovin' life.
post #37 of 40 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
6'3" here . . . but I can only ride it for about 1,200 miles or so in one day, then I have to get off the thing for a few hours. Stock seat, by the way.

I'll be riding it back out to the west coast for the Cambria ride. Stock seat. Bars all the way DOWN. Lovin' life.
Come on Joe! Thats what...... 13 hours in the saddle?

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #38 of 40 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:49 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Tim not an easy decision, Like most of the others I say ride it and decide what works best for you.
Good luck.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #39 of 40 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 4:12 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
Come on Joe! Thats what...... 13 hours in the saddle?
From what I've read in here, 1,200 miles is more like 8 or nine hours for ol' Joe.

Heracleitus

'12 Victory Cross Country Vivian Vader
'07 LT
die Blau Frau SOLD!
MBW-MOA Member #140221
post #40 of 40 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 6:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracleitus
From what I've read in here, 1,200 miles is more like 8 or nine hours for ol' Joe.
Hey! Who said only you guys on the Autobahn get to have all the fun?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in