GT Windshield - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 3:29 pm Thread Starter

GT Windshield

I have read with interest most of the talk concerning windshields for the K1200GT. I purchased a 2007 about 535 miles ago and am having the 600 mile service done by the dealer. Some very knowledgeable people have posted information about Cee Bailey as well as other replacement windshields but since their are a number of choices I wonder what anyone's experience has been with a Calsci windshield. I am not sure the higher BMW shield is the answer and have read enough reports concerning the Cee Bailey that I do not think that is the answer either.
A number of riders have apparently replaced the std windshield so if anyone has a recomendation or has the Calsci shield and could pass on their thoughts I would appreciate the advice. I have read one report on the Calsci which was very positive

thanks
former LT now GT rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 3:57 pm
fas

Talking Z-Technik

I put on the Z-Technik and I love it. I removed the BMW tall shield. SO reports reduction in buffeting. SO is happy and I am too.

Rob Nelson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 6:49 pm

I put on a cee bailey as soon as it was available. Unfortunately it was the .187 thick shield which at the end of the season, cracked. I called Cee Baileys and told them what happened and sent them a few pix of my cracked shield. They called me 2 days later telling me that my warrantied shield was being shipped out that day. Apparantly there were a few shields that were .187 early on and that was replaced by their new .250 shield.
I love the Cee Bailey product and the fact that they stood behind what they sell.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 29th, 2007, 11:12 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Ah yes, GT windshields. I've tried them all. That includes BMW Tall, Cee Bailey +6 +3, Cee Bailey +2 +2, CalSci Tall, and Aeroflow.

I'd tried the BMW tall windshield on a friend's bike, and knew that it wasn't gonna cut it. In fact, the dealer left it in the factory wrapping as I put on a Cee Bailey before I rode the new bike away.

The Cee Bailey +6 +3 worked much better, but was huge and flexed at speed until it eventually cracked. I rode to Cee Bailey's manufacturing plant to complain in person, and all they had to replace it at the time was a slightly tinted +2 +2. That lasted on the bike less than 5 miles before I pulled it as it was just way too short for me, never mind my poor wife.

I then ordered the CalSci Tall which gave much smoother air, though still some low frequency booming at speed. It still let too much air around the sides for my taste, but those that are used to smaller sport bike shields or mostly ride solo will probably find it just fine.

I've since switched to the full Aeroflow/AeroGard setup. It gives much better protection, even when raised less than the Cee Bailey. And the AeroGards take the wind off your hands and arms and smooth the overall airflow a bit more. It's pricey, but it does work.

I haven't tried the Z-Technik screen, mostly because it wasn't available when I was searching. But the only thing I could see better than the Aeroflow setup that I have now is a K1200RT, which would probably require a new windshield anyway.

The problem with changing windshields is that everybody's different, with different expectations. Getting advice from others helps, but like buying the bike, you really need to try them yourself to see what works best for you.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Nov 29th, 2007 at 11:19 pm.
post #5 of 10 Old Nov 30th, 2007, 5:44 am

A FREE Test ride with Ztecknik

I noticed on Ztechnik's website that they have a program with certain dealers whereby you can "test ride" their screen ON your bike! Now, that's cool! I'm gonna take my wife and go to my LOCAL dealer as they are on the list!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 10 Old Nov 30th, 2007, 9:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Ah yes, GT windshields. I've tried them all. That includes BMW Tall, Cee Bailey +6 +3, Cee Bailey +2 +2, CalSci Tall, and Aeroflow.

I'd tried the BMW tall windshield on a friend's bike, and knew that it wasn't gonna cut it. In fact, the dealer left it in the factory wrapping as I put on a Cee Bailey before I rode the new bike away.

The Cee Bailey +6 +3 worked much better, but was huge and flexed at speed until it eventually cracked. I rode to Cee Bailey's manufacturing plant to complain in person, and all they had to replace it at the time was a slightly tinted +2 +2. That lasted on the bike less than 5 miles before I pulled it as it was just way too short for me, never mind my poor wife.

I then ordered the CalSci Tall which gave much smoother air, though still some low frequency booming at speed. It still let too much air around the sides for my taste, but those that are used to smaller sport bike shields or mostly ride solo will probably find it just fine.

I've since switched to the full Aeroflow/AeroGard setup. It gives much better protection, even when raised less than the Cee Bailey. And the AeroGards take the wind off your hands and arms and smooth the overall airflow a bit more. It's pricey, but it does work.

I haven't tried the Z-Technik screen, mostly because it wasn't available when I was searching. But the only thing I could see better than the Aeroflow setup that I have now is a K1200RT, which would probably require a new windshield anyway.

The problem with changing windshields is that everybody's different, with different expectations. Getting advice from others helps, but like buying the bike, you really need to try them yourself to see what works best for you.
Has your wife tried/riden with the Aeroflow set-up? Thanks.

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #7 of 10 Old Nov 30th, 2007, 11:52 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kinsey
Has your wife tried/riden with the Aeroflow set-up? Thanks.
Not since I've added the AeroGards. But we're going for a ride this weekend.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 10 Old Dec 9th, 2007, 5:25 pm

Sooo............

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Not since I've added the AeroGards. But we're going for a ride this weekend.
Have you and yours got to test the Aeroguards together yet??? Thanks.

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #9 of 10 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 12:46 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kinsey
Have you and yours got to test the Aeroguards together yet??? Thanks.
Not for long enough to get a good feel yet.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #10 of 10 Old Dec 11th, 2007, 12:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy
A number of riders have apparently replaced the std windshield so if anyone has a recomendation or has the Calsci shield and could pass on their thoughts I would appreciate the advice. I have read one report on the Calsci which was very positive

thanks
former LT now GT rider
Skippy -

I have the tall Calsci screen and I am satisfied. I am a hair under 6'3". The BMW Tall was on my bike when I purchased it new. I experience no buffeting whatsover. The other day I drove on the highway in a moderate rainfall and no rain was hitting my face shield at all. That is a good visual feedback of what is going on with the airflow.

Gus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in