K1200GT or R1200RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 6:23 am Thread Starter

K1200GT or R1200RT

I stopped into my dealer the other day and they had a R1200RT sitting next to a K1200GT. Iíve been planning on buying a K1200GT right after the first of the year; however, the more I looked at the two bikes and the more questions I asked the more confused I became. I would be interested in hearing everyoneís opinion about which bike you would pick and why. Eighty percent of my riding is weekend touring with 2 -3 week Ė 2 week long trips as well as commuting to work which is about 40 miles one way. So what are your thoughts???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 7:01 am

RE: GT v RT

I've got both in the garage so maybe I can help. For the riding you do sounds like the RT would be a good fit. I write that due to the fact that the RT gets better gas mileage. To me, the RT is more comfortable for the longer trips also. The ergo's just work for me on the twin. As for the GT, I've got mine as close to a K12RT as I can. The GT engine is outstanding but the sporty ergos did not work for me.

My suggestion for you? Take them both out for a long ride and see which one works for you.

Best,

Rob Lessen
Arma, KS

'73 Honda XL250
'91 R100GSPD
'07 K12GT
'07 R12RT
post #3 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 9:28 am
IBR# 366

Garage
What Rob said. Ride them both then decide for yourself which one fits you best.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 11:28 am

I started off planning to buy an RT, and then switched to a GT. Here's a link to a thread about my thoughts on the two bikes. The decision will be an individual one, of course.

When a government takes over a peopleís economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #5 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 11:38 am Thread Starter

I should have taken each of them for a ride in the fall when I started looking. I have to buy it in January for a trip I'm taking with some buddy's down south. Unfortunately I think we are done with warm weather here in Iowa. I'll just have to rely on everyoneís feedback and take that information with me to the dealer and compare the two the best I can.
I must say I'm surprised to read that many of you here, and on other forums, feel that the riding position on the RT is more comfortable. I'm not all that concern about power as I will ride one up 99,9% of the time (Just bought my wife a F800ST). I'm most concern about comfort, ride and reliability (as if that's an issue with a BMW!!). My dealer says that she sells considerably more RT's then she does GT's.
post #6 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 12:54 pm

I didn't find the RT or GT really comfortable, but I am used to cruisers. The seating positions weren't that different. You're a little more forward on the GT, but your legs are still back quite a bit on the RT. This is why I was willing to go for the GT's performance.

I do find there's more weight on my arms than I'd like on the GT, which I start to feel after a couple hours. I've had the seat redone so that I'm not sliding into the tank; that helps. I think I'll get some handle bar risers (and cable extenders), and I have a set of these flat bars from Hunter that are supposed to be more comfortable on the hands (although it means I need to cut off the ends of my current handle bars, and that scares me a little).

The Aeroflow windscreen is a big step up over the stock windscreen. I plan to add the aerogaurds soon to.

When all is said and done, I think both bikes need to be modified to fit your body, and will be comfortable once you do so.

When a government takes over a peopleís economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #7 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 1:04 pm

Wow!! Sounds like a lot to do just to get comfortable on a GT. Iíve been shopping for both. There are stock RTs out there, but Iíve found all the used GT were modified for comfort. Kinda disconcerting to have to spend even more money on an already very expensive bike.

Last edited by Xavier6162; Nov 27th, 2007 at 4:49 pm.
post #8 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 1:50 pm Thread Starter

From ATV's to rifles, to my truck, there's not to many things that I've owned that haven't been "tweaked" one way or another. That's what makes it fun - when some one comes up and tells you how awsome your idea is, well you just wany the night away! I must admit though, I have gone overboard may once or twice . . will maybe three or four times . . . OK most of the time, but whose counting (besides my wife!).

Last edited by Oldmanwheeler; Nov 27th, 2007 at 1:57 pm.
post #9 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 2:32 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier6162
Wow!! Sounds like a lot to do just to get comfortable on a GT. Iíve been shopping for both. There are stock RTs out there, but Iím find all the used GT were modified for comfort. Kinda disconcerting to have to spend even more money on an already very expensive bike.
Not necessarily. Since BMW doesn't make the bike I want (a K1200RT) I have to choose from what they do offer then modify it to suit my needs. I've done the windscreen, seat, bar risers, and back rest on the GT. Note that I did similar mods to my LT, which is a much more comfortable bike from the factory.

Now I can easily do 1,000+ miles a day on the GT, which is what I bought it for in the first place. And it still has that stompin' motor and excellent handling for the twisty bits, without the extra 200+ lbs that the LT carries, or that quirky Boxer thump-thump.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 3:46 pm

Red face My 02 for what its worth ?

I've done the 1100RT and 1200LT and 1200GS things, along with an HD Ultra stuck in the middle somewhere and now a new GT...

RT = Needed new screen, new seat and some sort of leg cramp relief for extended trips.

Results = but still got sore, legs still cramped ? gotta say though, bar position was OK bottom line, I did not miss it

LT = Needed leg cramp relief for extended trips and a back rest.

Results = good comfort for trips, a little heavy around town, and needed a tad more power, but we all know that. bottom line, I miss it

GS = Needed new screen, leg cramp relief for extended trips.

Results = Good comfort for trips, handled very well everywhere, plenty of power. I miss it more than the LT

H.D. Ultra = Needed nothing added other than backrest for great comfort. not too heavy around town, low center of gravity very forgiving.

Results = Great comfort for trips, plenty of power for my needs, I miss it

GT = Needed new screen, aeroguards, new seat, barbacks, something for leg cramp relief, but nothing available for this one. More power than I can use

Results = Guess I'm still on the fence on the GT. based on what I have just reviewed, I must say I would probably still be happy with either the LT , or the HD Ultra

Just an honest observation based on my riding habits and needs..

If I was single, I would probably go back to a R1200GSA and be done with it

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #11 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 4:17 pm

I ride solo, so the GT is poifect for me. I had Kontour do the seat, new Cee Bailey screen, lowered the bars all the way and I'm good for 1,000 plus mile days. Oh, one real important add that I forgot to mention, the Techspec gripster. Really helps in changing positions and keeping a position when hauling ass.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 4:55 pm

Maybe itís me. But linky no worky.
post #13 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 5:42 pm

I just traded in my 2007 K1200GT (with 6000 miles on it) and went back to the 2008 R1200GT. I have considerable training and experience motorcycling riding (for what it is worth) and must state that both bikes are magnificent machines. It is not always easy to find one bike to cover all riding situations. Here are two links, one for the GT and one for the RT. Check them out. I think both reviews are fair and point out some strengths and weaknesses of each bike, especially the GT.

GT: http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...-R-1200-GT.htm

RT:
http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...-R-1200-RT.htm

The GT article points out the intimidation and use of caution handling the GT in an urban enviornment. The motorcycle is demanding and requires sound riding skills. The length and weight of the bike require more efforts in the corners. The RT is less so and exceptionally stable and agile.

I found the power intoxicating and it is a well engineered machine. One difference is the RT throttle "bleeds" into the power where the GT is either suddenly on or suddenly off. This could be problematic to an inexperienced rider when making slower turns or while attemption to cycle through the on-board computer. With the RT the wind protection is slightly better but there is less power.

If you will be out on the open road a lot, then the GT might be the better choice with all the power and advanced suspension front and back. The RT has about 40 less horse but excels in handling, "flickability" and is lighter. Of course, there is more vibration with the twin. Any service cost advantage of the GT over the RT evens out at about the 18K mark.

You will be happy with either bike depending on your style and preferences.

Scout
2007 R1200S
2008 R1200RT
1994 R1100RS
2007 BMW 335i
Gibson Blackjack 5 string banjo
post #14 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 5:44 pm

OOPs!!

I meant I went back to the R1200RT!!!
post #15 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2007, 6:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier6162
Maybe itís me. But linky no worky.
Hey! You're right. http://www.techspec-usa.com/gs/bmw.html scroll down to the GT.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in