Went Back to the RT from th GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 3:57 pm Thread Starter

Went Back to the RT from th GT

Well, yesterday I traded in my 07 GT and went back to the RT-- 08 RT. Why? Well, first, I love both bikes and feel they are equally fantastic at what they do. The GT is an incredible bike and the power is intoxicating. It was all just a matter of critical handling and control preferences for me.

I have ridden BMW's since 1976 including 4yrs on police motors and consider myself an experienced rider, well trained. (BMW and Kawasaki) I have owned virtually every BMW model over the years.(including GS, LT, RT, GT) I decided to go back to the RT because in my view, the RT handling is much more nimble and precise especially on slow turns and tight corners. I think this makes the RT excel. When people say they would like to see a R1200GT, I think they recognize the supurb handling or flickability of the RT and desiring the smooth engine and power of the GT. So, far, that bike does not exist.

I found that the GT with the longer wheel base requires much more concentration and effort in the corners, both for set up and exit. It requires more work to "bend it over" which taxes ones skills in aggressive riding situations. Also, when making a turn at an intersection, when one backs off on the throttle and then attempts to accelerate in the turn, the throttle control is much more volatile. In other works, with the RT, one can "bleed" into the power band without the sudden lurch of power the GT presents. With the GT, the power comes on fast and can disrupt a smooth turn.

If you want to try and work the on board computer, moving your right thumb to the switch can be tricky at slower speeds given the propensity of the throttle to come on significantly with any motion. You have to be real careful you not unintentionally tweek the throttle or you are in for a surprise. The GT's huge-on power requires one to constantly be mindful of the throttle responses. I also wanted better wind protection, a lighter bike and "bendability" in corners. The RT reminds me of the police bikes and the ability to chase down cars, negoticate tight corners and such without worrying about throttle response and focusing on lean agle and set ups. The GT requires more planning and focus--in my opinion.

I do prefer the GT's gauges, lines and fantastic passing power. However, I am sacrificing those things for a much more relaxed and manuverable machine and trust it more in critical corners and aggrewssive situations. (Maybe I mean I trust myself more on the RT) . The RT is so nimble that it really becomes part of you and is very forgiving. The GT just wants to run.

Anyway, this is not a knock on the GT. It served me well on the long rides to Colorado and back and in the sweepers. I always appreciated the GT in passing situations. With the RT with baggage and two up you really had to "plan" your pass. Not with the GT. One twist and your up and around.

Anyway, I guess it all boils down to what bike is the most comfortable, which one handles best for the style of riding you might have and which bike requires the least amount of effort or thinking and becomes one with the rider.

It is also nice to be back on the twin.

Scout

2007 R1200S
2008 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 6:21 pm

Hey, Different strokes for Different folks! Glad you're on the bike that's best for you. Just be careful until you adapt to "having to think about passing"!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 40 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:41 am

So...with the talk of planning a pass, how does the new RT compare to the LT? Will you get equal to or greater passing power on the RT?

Regards,

Paul Rakestraw
Boulder, CO

09 R1200RT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 K1200LTI
wrecked at 91k miles

post #4 of 40 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 4:24 pm

I don't understand what all this talk about passing power is. I have had two RT1100's, an LT, many harley's, and now the GT. Without a doubt, the only bike that I ever had to "plan" a pass with, was the harley. I test drove the RT 1200, and let me tell you, it is FAST. Of course it won't be as quick as the GT, but do you really need to pass that 18 wheeler doing 120mph?

Rick
'09 K1300GT
Royal Blue
post #5 of 40 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:12 pm

I don't know about "need to" but if you start to pass a semi on an R1200rt and down shift to 3rd when you start, you may well be doing 120 when you clear the nose of the truck. Take from someone that has done just that on a 2005 RT. It may not be as quick as the GT but it's plenty quick. I'm sure the RT runs out of gas at the top end before the GT, but they are both fun bikes. Just different strokes for different folks. In the curves, with equal riders, I'm not sure which bike comes out ahead at the end of the day. I do know I love my RT, just like Pastor Jack loves his GT. I suspect neither or us would want to trade bikes for keeps.

Dan Forker
post #6 of 40 Old Nov 24th, 2007, 9:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1200
but do you really need to pass that 18 wheeler doing 120mph?
Funny you should ask. Going south on IH35, coming into Sherman, TX, I encountered a big cluster of traffic. I'd been on the road about 8 hours at this point and could smell the barn about 5 hours away. I slowly threaded thru the clump, saw a hole and daylight beckoned. Dropping a couple of gears and with a good thwack of the throttle, I cleared the mess only to find a Dodge Ram pickup at the lead with Sheriff and lights festooned brightly about it.

I glanced down, saw my speed, nailed the brakes while noticing all them purdy lights behind me. I pointed to an exit sign, so they wouldn't think I was running and led them off the highway doing 5 over (hey, I was already caught, right?).

Pulled into a gas station, shut the bike off, dropped the kickstand, lifted face of the helmet, put both hands on the bars and waited.

The sheriff and deputy approached on each side, I was thinking my sister in law lives in Sherman and could prolly bail me out. I told them I had a CCL, where my peice was and that my wallet was in my tankbag. The sheriff asked me if I was declaring a medical or otherwise emergency to which I replied, "No sir, I was just hauling ass". He looked like I had just slapped him. I gave them my paperwork, they went back to the truck and I waited with both hands on the bars while trying to remember my sister in law's phone number.

They came back, gave me my paperwork, told me to have a nice day and got back in their truck while I looked like I had just been slapped.

The moral of the story? I haven't the slightest idea.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 40 Old Nov 24th, 2007, 9:40 am

I'm ready for an RT too.

After owning an '02 R1150RT, '04 K1200GT (still have) and an '05 R1200GS. This time I think it may be true love. ha ha

My '02 RT was my favorite mount, ergos and wind/weather protection speaking. Beautiful looking bike as well.
BUT... it surged nasty, too much time effort and $$$ put in to trying to fix it. The poorest running internal combustion engine I've ever owned. Add to this the grabby first version of the power assisted brakes and she had to go.

My current ride, the '04GT. Very nice on the open road, but for me, heavy. Too much like work at low speed or just moving it around in the garage. Irritating sounds from the engine and clutch along with the constant threat of a smokey start up also detract from the ownership experience.

My '05 GS1200 was very nice. Fine balance, NO Surge and a Mad Max look that is unique and appealing to me. Not enough wind/ weather protection for my delicate self though. Combined with the lack of factory cruise and the GT sitting next to it in the garage and I decided that one had to go. GS was gone.

Since the '04 GT is not well suited to in-town work, I purchased a Kawasaki 650R to replace the GS. The Kaw is inexpensive and light. Easy to manuver.

All that said, I've got a deal ready to go. My '04GT and the Kaw for a loaded, new, '07RT.
Just waiting to see if BMW comes up with a program to move the remaining '07 RTs. There are plenty around in the northeast.

Hoping
dmilan
post #8 of 40 Old Nov 24th, 2007, 3:47 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Funny you should ask. Going south on IH35, coming into Sherman, TX, I encountered a big cluster of traffic. I'd been on the road about 8 hours at this point and could smell the barn about 5 hours away. I slowly threaded thru the clump, saw a hole and daylight beckoned. Dropping a couple of gears and with a good thwack of the throttle, I cleared the mess only to find a Dodge Ram pickup at the lead with Sheriff and lights festooned brightly about it.

I glanced down, saw my speed, nailed the brakes while noticing all them purdy lights behind me. I pointed to an exit sign, so they wouldn't think I was running and led them off the highway doing 5 over (hey, I was already caught, right?).

Pulled into a gas station, shut the bike off, dropped the kickstand, lifted face of the helmet, put both hands on the bars and waited.

The sheriff and deputy approached on each side, I was thinking my sister in law lives in Sherman and could prolly bail me out. I told them I had a CCL, where my peice was and that my wallet was in my tankbag. The sheriff asked me if I was declaring a medical or otherwise emergency to which I replied, "No sir, I was just hauling ass". He looked like I had just slapped him. I gave them my paperwork, they went back to the truck and I waited with both hands on the bars while trying to remember my sister in law's phone number.

They came back, gave me my paperwork, told me to have a nice day and got back in their truck while I looked like I had just been slapped.

Lucky Grif very very lucky
post #9 of 40 Old Nov 24th, 2007, 3:49 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1200
I don't understand what all this talk about passing power is. I have had two RT1100's, an LT, many harley's, and now the GT. Without a doubt, the only bike that I ever had to "plan" a pass with, was the harley. I test drove the RT 1200, and let me tell you, it is FAST. Of course it won't be as quick as the GT, but do you really need to pass that 18 wheeler doing 120mph?
Yes !!! LOL ... ageing is compulsory ... growing old is'nt
post #10 of 40 Old Nov 25th, 2007, 6:21 am

Two things worked in Grif´s favour,

Getting on in age. The police start to take a more lenient view of us oldies still riding motorbikes

Stopping and waiting for them. Works every time for me.
post #11 of 40 Old Nov 25th, 2007, 7:42 am

Quote:

Grif-
You always make sense to me !!!
post #12 of 40 Old Nov 25th, 2007, 8:05 am Thread Starter

Planning a Pass

When I said I had to "plan a pass" I was simply pointing out that the massive power on the GT makes passing a lot easier. An RT loaded with two up requires a bit more calculation. The GT is still a fantastic bike in its element.

This article on the GT recognizes the same issues with handling that I point out.
http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...-R-1200-GT.htm

Here are a couple of significant quotes.

1. "Where as the R 1200 RT is easy to take in hand and use in an urban environment, the K 1200 GT is intimidating and calls for caution in urban riding. Long and heavy, and equipped with very ample side cases (detachable), it soon becomes clear to the rider that this motorcycle is much more at home in wide-open spaces, where the stability of its cycle parts comes into its own, than in traffic jams.

2. "On the winding stretches that we took heading back up to Paris via the Cévennes National Park and Massif Central, the picture was slightly less flattering, since the K 1200 GT proves to be rather demanding in such conditions. The riding conditions were admittedly rather rough (steady rain), but generally speaking this motorcycle requires sound riding skills to show itself in its best light. Perfectly stable, it does however require considerable effort on the handlebar when cornering and, consequently, good anticipation if you want to step up the pace. In these circumstances, the K 12's considerable weight inevitably proves to be a disadvantage, but comfort remains imperial."

Guess the difference is really urban use versus open road characteristics.

Scout

2008 RT
2007 R1200S
1994 R1100RS
post #13 of 40 Old Nov 25th, 2007, 9:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles

Getting on in age. The police start to take a more lenient view of us oldies still riding motorbikes

It does surprise them when they walk up expecting a younger person. Though, no squid I know of would be seen dead in a Power Ranger outfit (riding suit).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 40 Old Nov 25th, 2007, 9:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout70
1. "Where as the R 1200 RT is easy to take in hand and use in an urban environment, the K 1200 GT is intimidating and calls for caution in urban riding. Long and heavy, and equipped with very ample side cases (detachable), it soon becomes clear to the rider that this motorcycle is much more at home in wide-open spaces, where the stability of its cycle parts comes into its own, than in traffic jams.
I absolutely hate riding in a city and will avoid it like the plague. I do like to play on the highway, though.

Quote:
2. "On the winding stretches that we took heading back up to Paris via the Cévennes National Park and Massif Central, the picture was slightly less flattering, since the K 1200 GT proves to be rather demanding in such conditions. The riding conditions were admittedly rather rough (steady rain), but generally speaking this motorcycle requires sound riding skills to show itself in its best light. Perfectly stable, it does however require considerable effort on the handlebar when cornering and, consequently, good anticipation if you want to step up the pace. In these circumstances, the K 12's considerable weight inevitably proves to be a disadvantage, but comfort remains imperial."
Scout, I agree. This is a very physical bike to ride. Till I got used to it, I had some sore muscles at times. Plus, the many riding positions that can be assumed, led to different sore muscles. Now that I have it down, it's a dream.

I, for one, am happy you've found biking Nirvana, for that's what it's all about.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #15 of 40 Old Nov 25th, 2007, 1:33 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
It all depends on what your expectations are, and how they match your skill level and the terrain. I did several weeks in the Alps two-up on an LT. Many folks told me I was nuts, that the LT was too heavy and unwieldy, but it was my LT and I was very comfortable riding it in a variety of situations.

Yes it's a heavy bike, but I was pretty much able to pass folks at will even in the tight stuff, and in the whole two weeks I only had two bikes get ahead of me such that I couldn't catch them.

While I wouldn't turn down a free Alps ride on an RT, it wouldn't be my first choice. While it is a fine bike, I'm just not a boxer guy and much prefer the characteristics of an inline 4. But I know many folks who love the boxers and put a lot of miles on them.

Sure, I'd love to repeat the trip on my GT, but I had a blast and honestly would be glad to ride those roads on pretty much anything.

Good thing we all have lots of choices.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 40 Old Nov 25th, 2007, 5:09 pm

You guys have it right, find the ride that fits YOU. Today I went for a nice tear through the hills and curves of NE Connecticut. Coming around one set of S curves I passed a K1200RS going the other way and thought: man that guy is really pushing it. It seemed like he was leaned way over and was man-handling the bike throught the curves quite well. I then realized I was going through the same set of curves (just the opposite way) and was doing it at about the same speed that he was, but I was only using one hand since I was waving to him!

I love this bike!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #17 of 40 Old Jan 30th, 2008, 1:09 pm

Quote:

HILARIOUS!
post #18 of 40 Old Jan 30th, 2008, 10:15 pm

Sherman or Gainesville?

Quote:

"Going south on IH35, coming into Sherman, TX,"

You can't get to Sherman, TX. on IH35???? Maybe 8 hrs on the GT is TOO long.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

post #19 of 40 Old Jan 30th, 2008, 11:30 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknuckles
You can't get to Sherman, TX. on IH35????
You can the way Grif rides.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #20 of 40 Old Jan 31st, 2008, 7:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles

I think your right! A couple of days ago I kind of rolled through a stop sign at the end of my street and then turned up the wick for a short straight on the main highway. Shortly thereafter I noticed a grey Toyota pickup with blue lights all over the front right behind me. After we both pulled off the road I popped open the front of my schurbth and the officer approached me and said, "Do you know what that octagon is back there?" I looked perplexed and said rather loudly, "THE STOP SIGN". I said OH! Then he ask if I knew what the speed limit was on this road, I said YEA, it's 45. Then he ask, "Then why were you going 65?" and I said, "YA gotta be kidding!" Then the best part, after a tong lashing he said, "YA know, there's lots of old senior citizens out here on the road that don't drive very well and you need to be more careful!" I felt like telling him that he was being discriminatory but of course I simply said, "Yes Sir, your absolutely right." and with that he said slow down and have a nice day. That was my lucky day, it could have cost me $300+ and a bunch of points and he let me go with a lecture. Guess I should have run off and bought a lottery ticket!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #21 of 40 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 10:06 am

Lightbulb Hmmm!

Food for thought! I am down to the wire in my purchasing and spent yesterday looking at the RT and the GT...spent the night tossing both over in my mind. I almost always ride solo so the power issue may not be so much a concern. Oh my!

Gary
post #22 of 40 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 2:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspears
Food for thought! I am down to the wire in my purchasing and spent yesterday looking at the RT and the GT...spent the night tossing both over in my mind. I almost always ride solo so the power issue may not be so much a concern. Oh my!

Gary
IMHO, the first and foremost factor is whether or not you're a 4-cylinder guy, or a twin-cylinder guy. I'm a 4-cylinder guy, so the GT would win any comparo hands-down if you'd ask me. I wouldn't want to ride an RT cross-country like I'm about to do on my GT at the end of April. The vibrations would drive me NUTZ! And I'm already crazy enough.

And besides ... the RT just isn't fast enough for me either. But that's a whole other story.
post #23 of 40 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 4:03 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
IMHO, the first and foremost factor is whether or not you're a 4-cylinder guy, or a twin-cylinder guy.
Uh oh, now I agree with Joe.

The RT is a fine bike, but I'm just not a boxer guy. But I know lots of folks that are very happy with them. Your best bet is to try and take long test rides on both and see what works for you. Of course, that may be a bit difficult this time of year up in your neck of the woods.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #24 of 40 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 4:15 pm

I think that's wishful thinking Messenger. I've ridden all over the U.S. on my 06 1200 RT and don't have a buzzing issue. It's a smooth ride from bottom to top end and plenty of power to pass. Just drop it down a gear and go.
For those of us who ride Boxers there's that special sound that comes with the bike. For curves, this is a bike that is "intuitive" in the corners. You almost think it and the bike does it. For some, this may sound crazy, but for RT people, I think they would concur. Put a nice seat on, get a better windshield and give me that RT for long distances.
Bruce

08 BMW R1200R
08 Kawasaki Versys
post #25 of 40 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 6:59 pm

Quote:
The moral is, always profess your innocence, not your guilt. "I was going 110? Really?

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #26 of 40 Old Feb 10th, 2008, 8:46 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
The moral is, always profess your innocence, not your guilt. "I was going 110? Really?
I thought it was reading in Kilometers, honest.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #27 of 40 Old Feb 14th, 2008, 6:04 pm

Re: Went Back to the RT from th GT

Quote:
It is also nice to be back on the twin.

Mmmmmm I've never had a twin. What's it like?
post #28 of 40 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 2:18 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwgt
Mmmmmm I've never had a twin. What's it like?
I hear that you can't stop at just one . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #29 of 40 Old Feb 15th, 2008, 11:02 am
fas

Thumbs up Joe and I agree again...

Quote:
IMHO, the first and foremost factor is whether or not you're a 4-cylinder guy, or a twin-cylinder guy. I'm a 4-cylinder guy, so the GT would win any comparo hands-down if you'd ask me. I wouldn't want to ride an RT cross-country like I'm about to do on my GT at the end of April. The vibrations would drive me NUTZ! And I'm already crazy enough.

And besides ... the RT just isn't fast enough for me either. But that's a whole other story.
Joe and I both have major character flaws. My E36 BMW M3 had a vanity tag "TWFO?" Throttle Wide F______ Open? It's a question of what lap time you want. How committed are you to getting there quickly? I ran ten sets of tires thru that little M3 and loved it.

If you are happpy with the two lungs, great. Cheaper and less parts to maintain. My brother in law loves his R bike and it has served him well for almost a decade.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #30 of 40 Old Feb 16th, 2008, 10:27 am

Quote:

YO Mess

Vibrations ? I seriously doubt that. A little buzz now and then OK. I've had R's, K's,R's , K's now R again. Only thing I would like is a little more rpm. Oh yea that overhead cam head also. Also have a V-4 like in VFR. Like both motors but the V-4 is fun to RL.

Mike Perez
Dublin, Ohio
post #31 of 40 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 5:48 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,

Quote:
....The sheriff asked me if I was declaring a medical or otherwise emergency to which I replied, "No sir, I was just hauling ass". He looked like I had just slapped him. I gave them my paperwork, they went back to the truck and I waited with both hands on the bars while trying to remember my sister in law's phone number.

Allow me to help, Grifmiester: when you owned up to your speed, like a man, you threw the cop way off. He was expecting the usual pussy story and excuses, etc. Moral of the story? Don't swear on your mother's grave that you were only doing 55 when you were doing at least twice that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
This is a good technique if you WANT to be CITED 99% of the time!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!

Last edited by jayjacobson; Feb 17th, 2008 at 5:53 am.
post #32 of 40 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 2:39 pm

I'm tired of trying to make my '07 GT fit me. It's leaving my garage this spring. I had the Jap 4's in the '70's and '80's, BMW twins in the '90's up till Nov. 06.

The buzz of the GT is something that bothers me but it's the ergo's that I can't handle. I've raised the bars, lowered the pegs and used three different shields. It's just not for me. It has about 21k and I'm looking for another twin. Maybe a GSA or another RT.

After eight knee operations and three fusions in my neck, I've got to have a more upright postion on a bike.

Now a K12RT would be hard to turn down............
post #33 of 40 Old Feb 17th, 2008, 5:22 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrob
....The buzz of the GT is something that bothers me....
Interesting....I would describe my GT more like as smooth as oiled glass!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #34 of 40 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 5:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson
Interesting....I would describe my GT more like as smooth as oiled glass!
I think that is the issue. The BMW twin has a relaxing feel to it while the four cyl buzzes to me. My Jap 4's did the same thing.

I've ridden all of the BMW 4's both new and old and I always felt the buzz so it is me.

Some are twin types and some aren't. I'm one.
post #35 of 40 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 5:56 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrob
I think that is the issue. The BMW twin has a relaxing feel to it while the four cyl buzzes to me. My Jap 4's did the same thing.

I've ridden all of the BMW 4's both new and old and I always felt the buzz so it is me.

Some are twin types and some aren't. I'm one.
Guess I need to try one of those twins, then!

post #36 of 40 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 7:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson
Guess I need to try one of those twins, then!
Be sure to try one that has more than 10k on it then. That's when the twins smooth out.

Now if I can find someone to take the GT off of my hands.....

Best,

Rob Lessen
Arma KS

'73 Honda XL250
'91 R100GSPD
'07 K12GT
'07 R12RT, wifes

Previous BMW's, '89 R100RT, '97 R11RT, '05 R12RT, '96 R11RS (wifes)
post #37 of 40 Old Feb 18th, 2008, 8:44 pm

Jack, That was funny !
post #38 of 40 Old Feb 28th, 2008, 9:15 pm

Hmmm. I was gonna keep my GT for another couple of rides and make my decision then but after spending the last hour and a half reading all these comments, I'm back thinking about the RT.

It's my first time on the site and I appreciate reading about people needing to make the same decision I need to make.

I've owned an '05 RT for two years. And since I've owned three KRS before ('87, '89ABS, '98ABS), and thinking I was a K man, I purchased an '07 GT. At the end of last season, I was ready to trade it in for an RT. The sensitive throttle lag just drove me crazy, especially in traffic (20% of my rides cause I have to).

Now I'm reading that changing the airbox and some software might solve the whole problem. Maybe I'll try that and see how it goes. But all the positive comments on the RT, from riding position to lightness and maneuvrability of the machine makes me wonder.

Oh well, I'll sleep on it a bit more.

Jim
post #39 of 40 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 4:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtaddeo
Hmmm. I was gonna keep my GT for another couple of rides and make my decision then but after spending the last hour and a half reading all these comments, I'm back thinking about the RT.

It's my first time on the site and I appreciate reading about people needing to make the same decision I need to make.

I've owned an '05 RT for two years. And since I've owned three KRS before ('87, '89ABS, '98ABS), and thinking I was a K man, I purchased an '07 GT. At the end of last season, I was ready to trade it in for an RT. The sensitive throttle lag just drove me crazy, especially in traffic (20% of my rides cause I have to).

Now I'm reading that changing the airbox and some software might solve the whole problem. Maybe I'll try that and see how it goes. But all the positive comments on the RT, from riding position to lightness and maneuvrability of the machine makes me wonder.

Oh well, I'll sleep on it a bit more.

Jim
Jim-

The sensitive throttle drove me crazy too. I just had the firmware upgraded under warranty (no airbox change yet), and the improvement was dramatic. I recommend that you try it before you trade the GT for an RT.
post #40 of 40 Old Feb 29th, 2008, 5:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Jim-

The sensitive throttle drove me crazy too. I just had the firmware upgraded under warranty (no airbox change yet), and the improvement was dramatic. I recommend that you try it before you trade the GT for an RT.
Thank you XMagnaRider.

I ow it to myself to try that. If that works, I will then need to make the decision as to whether I want to sacrifice power, looks and smoothness of the K engine for the maneuvrability and tameness get back on an RT.

It's funny, I never had a problem with the seat. I've traded saddles on most of my BMWs before and got Corbins, but the GT doesn't bother me at all. What do you guys don't like about it? Is it the softness? Do you feel the frame of the seat with you bum? Is it not long enough for you tall riders that you touch the rear?

Oh yea, and another drawback to the GT is the fact that at 43 years old, I'm finally making 60mph wheelies, and since my wife and three girls want to keep me alive, I'd have to stop doing them. Rubber side down baby, control and discipline.

J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in