Extra power socket fitting - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 20th, 2007, 5:27 am Thread Starter

Garage
Extra power socket fitting

I'm thinking of fitting a direct to battery (with fuse of course) power socket into the little shelf in the glove box so that I can use it ti charge my cellphone in a dry environment.

Anyone fitted such a socket in this location? Any input on how much work is likely to get the glove box out etc.

I've managed to get a couple of BMW style sockets from a marine supplier on ebay and have an adaptor to convert from that to car power socket etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 20th, 2007, 8:13 am

It's real easy just to remove the whole right side panel and then you'll be able to hack at will. There's three screws at the top of the glove compartment that have to come off. The belly pan doesn't have to come off and then there's the "hidden" screw. Look along the front, inside of the cowling (the black plastic behind the wheel), you'll see three screws. The air snorkel, up at the top, is soft plastic. You'll see it form a sort of triangle, pull this down and you'll find the hidden screw.

The parts fische at Max BMW is also a great resource.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by slparry
I'm thinking of fitting a direct to battery (with fuse of course) power socket into the little shelf in the glove box so that I can use it ti charge my cellphone in a dry environment.

Anyone fitted such a socket in this location? Any input on how much work is likely to get the glove box out etc.

I've managed to get a couple of BMW style sockets from a marine supplier on ebay and have an adaptor to convert from that to car power socket etc.
I did exactly the same as you suggest when I first got the GT (April 2006) and for exactly the same reasons.

The job is very easy, just remove the right side panel and then the glove box and then run the wires from the battery through to the socket. Remember to install a quick release type of plug into the wiring circuit to allow you (or your BMW mechanic) to completely remove the panel for servicing etc. without having to out chase the wires back to the battery or the new socket.

I now make use of this new socket to charge my phone, iPod etc when on tour as well as using it connected to a battery tender to keep the bikes battery fully charged.

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 1:34 pm

And I installed mine next to the OEM socket on the left side panel, where there is a knockout piece just for that purpose. I also put an additional one up by the left handlebar on the blank panel next to my switch for my moto lites

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 24th, 2007, 3:40 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
And I installed mine next to the OEM socket on the left side panel, where there is a knockout piece just for that purpose. I also put an additional one up by the left handlebar on the blank panel next to my switch for my moto lites
The dealership had installed an extra one in the std location prior to me collecting the bike so I have two down by the lower left side. I've niticed there's a third knockout panel on the same plate? Surely it can't be for a third power socket!
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 24th, 2007, 3:43 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMKrider
I did exactly the same as you suggest when I first got the GT (April 2006) and for exactly the same reasons.

The job is very easy, just remove the right side panel and then the glove box and then run the wires from the battery through to the socket. Remember to install a quick release type of plug into the wiring circuit to allow you (or your BMW mechanic) to completely remove the panel for servicing etc. without having to out chase the wires back to the battery or the new socket.

I now make use of this new socket to charge my phone, iPod etc when on tour as well as using it connected to a battery tender to keep the bikes battery fully charged.
Cool .. any chance of a picture of the inside of your glove box to see how you've got it in place?
post #7 of 7 Old Nov 26th, 2007, 11:18 am

I'll try to take one tomorrow (Tuesday) and post the results.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in