New airbox day .... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Nov 20th, 2007, 5:13 am Thread Starter

Garage
New airbox day ....

... tomorrow that is

Hopefully this will cure the problem!

Apparently I get a new airbox and software upgrade, not looking forward to the heavy traffic commute to the dealership as the weathers a bit grimy here at the moment but hey ho I get to see how good the fairing really is uh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Nov 20th, 2007, 8:15 am

I hear you on the commute to the dealer. I leave at 5 ayem and sit outside till they open simply because the traffic into Austin is not only dangerous, but horrid.

Let us know how it goes.

I did the fettle awhile back and the bike has been perfect.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Nov 21st, 2007, 12:18 pm
TJD

Today is Airbox day for me as well.

Yesterday was snowy and sloppy here in the northeast, so the dealer came and picked the bike up for me. Had a couple of other warranty issues and they said they'd drop it back to me when it was ready, free of charge. Can't beat that. Hard testing of the airbox repair may have to wait until next spring though. Nightime temps are into the low 20's and there's a couple of inches of snow on the ground. Looks like I'll have to get my adrenaline fix from skiing over the next several months. Im jealous of you southern types who can ride all year!

T

post #4 of 15 Old Nov 21st, 2007, 3:08 pm

"they'd drop it back to me "

Key word here is 'drop'.

Maybe the fix parts are slowly working their way west.
post #5 of 15 Old Nov 21st, 2007, 5:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by slparry
... tomorrow that is

Hopefully this will cure the problem!

Apparently I get a new airbox and software upgrade, not looking forward to the heavy traffic commute to the dealership as the weathers a bit grimy here at the moment but hey ho I get to see how good the fairing really is uh
Great Avatar...hahaha... funny show.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 15 Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 1:08 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Did'nt know if you'd get to see the show in the US

Well the journey to the dealers was foul ... heavy rain/spray/congested traffic travelling too fast ... yum ... not

They let me have a new R1200R loaner to ride the 50 miles back home. Great fun but hard work without a fairing or screen. If Governments want to slow motorcyclists then banning screens/fairings should do it nicely

So then wait at home for the call to say it was finished. It did'nt happen so I rode back so I got there about 4pm.

Still not ready and the techs had to work till 6:30 to finish the job (it was the first they'd done so they had'nt been sure on the time frames)

Of course this meant I hit all the commuting traffic back ... more heavy rain & spray ... even more congested traffic and now night too wooooppppeeeee LOL ... oh and a touch of sleet n snow on the final approach to home.

Have to admit in such yeuck conditions the KGT is incredibly cosseting, windchill kept at bay by the screen,xenon lighting the way, ASC and ABS and best of all the lovely heated seats n grips.

Cannot comment on whether the problems been fixed as it's too cold to happen again at the moment but it was fine coming home.

Apparently as well as the new airbox it has a new software update. I was already on the latest so I'm guessing there must be a newer one again
post #7 of 15 Old Dec 6th, 2007, 3:06 pm

Smile Yippee! Finally, new airbox installed

BMW has come through with shining colors and restored my faith in "making things right". I brought my bike in on Monday complaining of "bucking in gears 1, 2 & 3 and high idle at 3000PM." I had complained at the 600 mile checkup of the bucking. At that time, they upgraded my software from version 6 to version 7. It seemed to help last year. This summer both the bucking and high idle became more than a nuisance, almost dangerous.

I have been following all the threads on this and at the other BMW forums. I learned all about the fettle, but that did not seem as to cure, only fix the symptoms.

I guess BMW finally figured out the airbox was the root cause. The airbox just became available ( part # 13 71 7 705 470).
BMW Manhattan, wholly owned by BMWNA came through and immediately said that the airbox seemed to be the problem. The tech found a bulletin # 00 13 07(035) which is says that with my symptoms and damaged airbox, a new one is required.
Just so happens that they had one of the new airboxes in stock. ( I knew about this, as I had ordered the airbox several weeks ago).

I got the bike back today and it rode flawlessly for one straight hour at high speed and then smoothly at very slow speeds locally. Maybe, it is my imagination, but the shifting is much smoother( no clunking or hesitation). Of course, I may have to wait until next summer when it is hot and I do some serious riding.

I think that my problem is solved and the bike is everything I had hoped it to be when I purchased it new.

While the bike was in for this fabulous makeover, I had the 6000 mile service done for $350.00.

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT

Last edited by larrykay; Dec 6th, 2007 at 3:43 pm.
post #8 of 15 Old Dec 6th, 2007, 5:14 pm

I'm trying to get in touch with the dealer for performance problems with my GT. I had the software updated a couple months ago, but it's sluggish from a stop, and sometimes dies while idling. It seems to be getting worse. Maybe it's the airbox?

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #9 of 15 Old Dec 7th, 2007, 10:47 am

After I got mine done at the 6k service my shifting is much better also. I did'nt want to say anything thinking it just me.

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #10 of 15 Old Dec 8th, 2007, 5:34 pm

Thumbs up New Airbox installed. Ten more HP ! Got my Mojo back

The dealer installed my new airbox (#470) and updated the ECU yesterday.
Almost no sensitive throttle at slow speeds. The tech noticed this also. No HI/BBS but mine was very intermittent anyway. Took a 30 mile ride to get home. I don't know if the mods gave me any more power. My butt dyno was puckered down to the seat! 33 degrees F and drizzle!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #11 of 15 Old Dec 8th, 2007, 8:17 pm

I talked to one of the owners of LoneStar BMW today, was telling him how much I love the bike and how I fettled the airbox. He told me if I have anymore probs to just bring it in and they'll install a new airbox. I didn't beg or anything. You gotta just love LoneStar, what a great dealer!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 15 Old Dec 12th, 2007, 10:57 am

I agree about Lonestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I talked to one of the owners of LoneStar BMW today, was telling him how much I love the bike and how I fettled the airbox. He told me if I have anymore probs to just bring it in and they'll install a new airbox. I didn't beg or anything. You gotta just love LoneStar, what a great dealer!
I agree. I called yesterday to make an appointment to get this fixed. When I was asked why I wanted to bring the bike in I didn't use the words "BBS" or "internet" or "known problem" or anything. I just said "It periodically idles really high when you blip and release the throttle before it settles and when you roll of the throttle it will sometimes accelerate. Also, in traffic when the bike's good and warm it's impossible to ride it smoothly and is really dangerous".

The response? OK, bring it in, we'll replace the airbox, since this is warranty work what's the VIN so we can order the parts?

I was really expecting a fight and am delighted I didn't get one. Thumbs up to Lonestar (although it's not fixed yet!). I'll let you all know how it went after the service.
post #13 of 15 Old Dec 12th, 2007, 5:03 pm

Congrats to BMW. I think from all the responses we have seen around all the forums on the "internet", BMW has finally admitted that there is a problem and has decided to replace the airbox, when they get a complaint. I guess they don't want to do a recall as not every bike has the problem. Personally, I think most of the bikes will someday have the problem unless the airbox is changed.

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #14 of 15 Old Jan 20th, 2008, 11:59 pm

I got my bike back last weekend with the new airbox. The mechanic was pretty suspicious when I mentioned it might need a new airbox, but since I'd had it in once already, he agreed. I wanted to ride it to Vegas for CES, and the dealership made some effort I think to get a new airbox in and installed in 2 days, but they didn't know that with the new airbox design, they had to update the software. It took them a week to figure that out. Now, I have a new airbox with version 4.10 sw, and the bike is running good. Runs like crap when it's cold, but once it's warmed up, it's good.

I just don't know why dealers are uninformed about things like a required sw upgrade when the new airbox is used. It seems BMW doesn't try to educate the mechanics until they call in and ask for help. Alas.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #15 of 15 Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 3:09 pm
fas

Talking Do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
I got my bike back last weekend with the new airbox. The mechanic was pretty suspicious when I mentioned it might need a new airbox, but since I'd had it in once already, he agreed. I wanted to ride it to Vegas for CES, and the dealership made some effort I think to get a new airbox in and installed in 2 days, but they didn't know that with the new airbox design, they had to update the software. It took them a week to figure that out. Now, I have a new airbox with version 4.10 sw, and the bike is running good. Runs like crap when it's cold, but once it's warmed up, it's good.

I just don't know why dealers are uninformed about things like a required sw upgrade when the new airbox is used. It seems BMW doesn't try to educate the mechanics until they call in and ask for help. Alas.
BMW may send the info, but do they read it? I like my dealership and the guys do great wrench spinning. But, they service Honda and BMW....lots of models and lots of tech bulletins to stay on top off for them.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in