K12GT New Gen Oil Change - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 4:48 pm Thread Starter

K12GT New Gen Oil Change

I am attempting to perform the 12,000 mi oil change in my 06 K12GT. I have not changed the oil on the GT before. I cannot find a manual or instruction on-line. I have purchased the oil, filter and oil filter wrench (Wunderlich). I removed the drain plug on the bottom of the engine but only about half a quart (estimate) came out. I removed the oil filter and only the oil in the filter came out. I removed the oil fill cap on the oil tank under the seat and that tank is still full.

What else do I need to do to drain the rest of the oil? If anyone has successfully changed their own oil on a "New Generation" K1200GT, please advise ASAP.

Thanks,
Texas254
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 5:24 pm

Hi Tex...no big problem! On top of your oil tank you will see where the "clear tube" attaches to an 90 degree elbow and then enters the tank. Squeeze the sides of the black elbow and pull straight up. it will come out of the oil tank. PLUG the end of it...then "snake it downward" trhough the swingrarm area and drain the oil from the tank. It sounds like a pain, but it's not that hard. Stupid design, but the only way to drain the tank.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 5:30 pm

Tex...gimme ten minutes and I'll have a few pics posted on this thread!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 5:55 pm

Here's a pic - from the right side of the bike, tank is underneath the pilot's seat. Once you have the "connector" off the tank, just PLUG IT and feed it downward through the frame toward the swingarm and the tank will drain through the connector. Sounds worse than it is. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture One Revised.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	15067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2 revised.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	15068  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

Last edited by cccpastorjack; Nov 1st, 2007 at 6:01 pm.
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 7:26 pm

I use an old earplug to plug it while snaking.

Just did "The Fettle", took three hours, but it was my first one! Also, did a canisterectomy.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 8:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I use an old earplug to plug it while snaking.

Just did "The Fettle", took three hours, but it was my first one! Also, did a canisterectomy.

Grif, What's "The Fettle"? And, do I understand you did a canisterectomy on your GT? one more...where's JOE?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #7 of 11 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 10:33 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
May I suggest that you get the factory service manual? The money you save from one service will pay for it.

There's nothing wrong with maintaining your own bike, but you want to be sure that you're going to get it right. This bike is nothing like those 30-year old cars that many of us learned on.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 11 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 10:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Grif, What's "The Fettle"? And, do I understand you did a canisterectomy on your GT? one more...where's JOE?
It's a fix for high idle and/or bucking bronco syndrome. Read the whole thread on
www.k-bikes.com right here.

Here's the fix http://www.parabolicalabs.com/fettlev1.doc

Yeppir, I did the canisterectomy while in there. I didn't remove the canister, it would have taken longer to get to than I was willing to spend at the time.

Well, seeing' how it's not my turn to watch Joe, I dunno.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 11 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 11:01 pm

Cool...mine runs just fine across the range and the idle is perfect, so I guess I won't mess with it. May do the canisterectomy one day though. Thanks pal!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #10 of 11 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 7:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Cool...mine runs just fine across the range and the idle is perfect, so I guess I won't mess with it. May do the canisterectomy one day though. Thanks pal!
Mine hasn't had the BBS, but I've gotten high idle after droning long hours in the heat on the highway. Makes it a bear to ride in traffic after getting off the highway, the throttle is an on/off switch and it idles badly. A TPS reset seems to help.

The new airbox with an aluminum housing and new stepper motor is now in the states.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 11 Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:05 am

So Tex....Did you get that oil drained and changed????

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in