Using oil between changes ??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 8:59 pm Thread Starter

Using oil between changes ???

I believe BMW calls for 6,000 mile oil change intervals on the GT. Is anyone needing to add oil between changes at this interval ???

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 10:30 pm

Not a drop. I don't even check it, I let the bike do it. Man, I love that feature. Just for grins I look before draining.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 9:01 am

Dido here not a drop.

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 9:19 am

A top up (1/2 a liter) every 1500 mi or so. I'm coming up on 15k miles and it seems to be improving but haven't been on a long ride in a while to really track it. Personally, it's enough consumption for me to make note of, but not go through the downtime and risk pursuing perfection through the warranty. If it worsens or I just decide to make an issue of it, I'll do so before the warranty expires. Or not.

Been there, done that, and I'd rather be out riding.
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 5:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_l
A top up (1/2 a liter) every 1500 mi or so. I'm coming up on 15k miles and it seems to be improving but haven't been on a long ride in a while to really track it. Personally, it's enough consumption for me to make note of, but not go through the downtime and risk pursuing perfection through the warranty. If it worsens or I just decide to make an issue of it, I'll do so before the warranty expires. Or not.

Been there, done that, and I'd rather be out riding.
As I recall, my LT (a 2001) used some oil during the initial break in period. It was either the 12,000 or 18,000 mile oil change that very little appeared to have been lost that I switched to synthetic. I don't know if the concept still applies with these newer engines, I'd assume so.

Tom Haycraft
Round Rock, TX

2001 K1200LT - Champagne (2004 - 2010 / R.I.P.)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue (2010 - )
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 6:55 am

Just a little

I've had to add a little between changes, but that's probably because I never (hardly ever) use the center stand and some tends to accumulate on the lean side and blow out of the pipe upon start-up. The other factor is the sight glass and where you wish the level to line up. I prefer to keep it on the high side as opposed to low.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 9:24 am

Not a drop yet...
post #8 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:36 am
fas

zip on oil consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Not a drop yet...
+1

>10,000 miles, never added juice............but I'm slower than Joe............

SO and I combined weigh less than Joe..........

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #9 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 11:57 am

Oil, what's that?

post #10 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2007, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I've had to add a little between changes, but that's probably because I never (hardly ever) use the center stand and some tends to accumulate on the lean side and blow out of the pipe upon start-up. The other factor is the sight glass and where you wish the level to line up. I prefer to keep it on the high side as opposed to low.
No sight glass, Dan - we gots a dip stick under the seat, with a slightly different procedure for checking oil due to the dry sump engine design. Or, let the computer check it like Grif does. We're talking GT here, not LT. Thanks for the post - and thanks to others who also posted.

As for supersonic ("Oil, what's that?"), you're gonna go subsonic real quick with that attitude!

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #11 of 11 Old Nov 8th, 2007, 11:01 am

Have 5300 miles on my 2007. Not a drop of useage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in