An easier way to get the GT off the center stand - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 11:34 am Thread Starter

An easier way to get the GT off the center stand

The pavement at work is some cheap blend that the side stand tends to sink into through the course of the day. So, I always put my bike on the center stand.

The problem I have is getting the bike off the center stand. I'm straddling the bike and rocking it forward, but I cannot get that much motion going while straddling the GT. In my efforts, various unprofessional looking things can happen, like bonking my helmet on the windshield, or simply rocking on the bike for a couple minutes.

Yesterday, I had an idea. Instead of standing on the ground, I stood on the pegs, and rocked it forward. This allowed me to rock the bike with a lot less effort. Of course, once the bike pivots forward, you need to put your feet down, but this was no problem.

Maybe this is obvious to everyone, or there's some better way to get the bike off the center stand, but this is news to me. I haven't used center stands before this bike. Just thought I'd share, in case anyone else is bonking their helmet on the windshield.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 12:18 pm

How I take it off the center stand

I stand on the left side, grab the handle bar with my left hand and the rear passenger grab bar with my right hand and "heave-ho" leftward. Comes off the stand nice and easy. I then slowly guide the bike down onto the kick stand.
post #3 of 17 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 12:27 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Well obviously you need to dump that crappy old GT and get a shiny new LT with the electro-hydraulic center stand. Oh wait, that only allows you to go up. [Emily Litella]Never mind[/Emily Litella].

I was having a lot of trouble getting my GT up on the center stand, and then back off of it. Up until the center stand actually broke, and the bike fell over. You can see details and pics in this link, but I'd check the center stand stops to make sure they're not bent.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 17 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 1:03 pm

Next to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodakgus
I stand on the left side, grab the handle bar with my left hand and the rear passenger grab bar with my right hand and "heave-ho" leftward. Comes off the stand nice and easy. I then slowly guide the bike down onto the kick stand.
I used to sit on mine, but then I read a bunch of reports of earlier GTs having center stand problems, and I think there's something in the K1200GT owners manual about not sitting on the bike when taking it off the center stand.

Now I do the same thing as above, just lever it off while standing next to it, though I usually grab both handlebars and just give it a shove forward, comes right off.

When I sat on it and tried to get it off it would sometimes just slide forward on the center stand but not come down. (My garage floor is pretty smooth.) This was a PITA because I usually put it pretty close to the wall, and if it slid forward enough then it'd be real hard to get down. Never happened, but it was a concern. The sliding forward thing never happens when I'm standing next to it.
post #5 of 17 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 1:51 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
When I sat on it and tried to get it off it would sometimes just slide forward on the center stand but not come down. (My garage floor is pretty smooth.)
Some guys have put stick-on grip tape on the center stand feet. Apparently it does help, but it also wears out and needs to be redone occasionally.

You can get grip tape at the hardware store (used for stairs), or at a sporting goods shop in the skateboard section.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 17 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 4:09 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
The pavement at work is some cheap blend that the side stand tends to sink into through the course of the day. So, I always put my bike on the center stand.

The problem I have is getting the bike off the center stand. I'm straddling the bike and rocking it forward, but I cannot get that much motion going while straddling the GT. In my efforts, various unprofessional looking things can happen, like bonking my helmet on the windshield, or simply rocking on the bike for a couple minutes.

Yesterday, I had an idea. Instead of standing on the ground, I stood on the pegs, and rocked it forward. This allowed me to rock the bike with a lot less effort. Of course, once the bike pivots forward, you need to put your feet down, but this was no problem.

Maybe this is obvious to everyone, or there's some better way to get the bike off the center stand, but this is news to me. I haven't used center stands before this bike. Just thought I'd share, in case anyone else is bonking their helmet on the windshield.
Doing this is a guaranteed way of eventually bending the main stand
post #7 of 17 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 4:33 pm

If the side stand is sinking into the pavement, the last thing you want to do is use the center stand. If the center stand sinks you'll be stuck. Just put something under the side stand.
post #8 of 17 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 5:02 pm

IMHO, it's a very bad idea to sit on any bike with any stand deployed. It overloads the pivot bearings and may bend or snap the stand.

If the bike is parked on the centrestand, when you want to move it, stand at the left side of the bike and put the sidestand down first, then put the tip of your left foot at the front of the centrestand leg and push the bike forwards and tip it towards you and rest it down on the sidestand.

Mount the bike and pull it upright, fold the sidestand up when the bike is vertical with you astride it. Now (and only now!) lower your weight onto the seat.

On soft ground, do not use the centrestand, only the sidestand. If the centrestand sinks in, you'll never move the bike! If the ground is soft, use a 'bigfoot' or similar bolt-on device, or place a crushed beercan or similar under the sidestand foot to increase its' area.
post #9 of 17 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 6:10 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. Like I said, I haven't had a bike with a center stand before. I clearly don't know what I'm doing. I'll stand on the side of the bike from now on.

Maybe it's best to put a block under the side stand instead of using the center stand anyway, as was suggested. Thanks guys.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #10 of 17 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 7:45 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
If the side stand is sinking into the pavement, the last thing you want to do is use the center stand. If the center stand sinks you'll be stuck. Just put something under the side stand.
If you're lucky the center stand will just be stuck. If not, the single leg will sink in while the leg with the footpad arm won't, thus allowing the bike to tip over to the right. I came awfully close to dumping my LT that way, but caught it before it had gone too far over.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #11 of 17 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 8:51 pm

The side stand allows the weight of the bike to be transferred to 3 points, while the center stand only two. The two points of contact on the center stand will never sink into the parking surface equally. When one (or both) sink in, you're in trouble. The bike could easily fall over. Say you're parked near another car. Damage to your bike, and someone's car too. If the side stands sinks into the parking surface, get a Big Foot plate for the side stand or put something under the side stand to lift the bike up an inch or so. This will transfer more of the weight to the tires and even things out a bit. dwillie.
post #12 of 17 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 12:04 am

Here are hints that work for me. They may work for you:

Position your right foot in front of the center stand. When the bike comes off the stand, your body will be closer to the center of the bike, compared with the left-foot stance.

--> Point the front wheel very slightly to the right before taking the bike off the stand. Very slightly. In the event that the bike isn't perfectly balanced as it comes off the center stand, it will tend to lean toward you as it moves forward. (I assume that you are standing on the left side of the bike.)

It is much easier to regain control and balance the bike if it starts to lean toward you. If the bike leans away from you, you are in trouble. The bike is more likely to fall over, and you could injure your back trying to prevent the fall, even if you succeed.
post #13 of 17 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 11:00 am

Wink Center Stand

I've found that putting the side of my boot right in front of the center stand and then rocking it works well. Otherwise it slides on my garage floor. Stand on the left side of the bike. Hold the handlebars and back holder and push forward with your foot just in front.

Works every time, and no, your foot doesn't look like Wiley Coyotes- stand goes right up!
post #14 of 17 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 8:54 pm

The first add-on I bought for my GT was the 'bigfoot' side stand adapter.
The only negative about it is that it'll set you back by about $38.-
I invested in it for two reasons: I have the same concern about the factory side stand sinking into asphalt, sand, gravel, or whatever due to its small footprint, and I also have trouble getting the bike off of center stand, so I'm relying heavily on the side stand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bigfoot.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	15074  

Steve
Granada Hills CA
2005 K1200LT Dark Graphite Metallic
post #15 of 17 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 9:59 pm

I've seen BMW branded sidestand pads in use at the dealership. I don't know if they sell them. I went by a H-D dealership and for $6.00, bought one of their "hockey pucks". My LT doesn't mind that it says H-D and I can spend my workday thinking of places to ride to, rather than wondering if "Big Kitty" has tipped over in the parking lot.

I've used a can and a thin piece of wood in the past. I liked the idea of the hockey puck better.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #16 of 17 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 2:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
Thanks for all the input. Like I said, I haven't had a bike with a center stand before. I clearly don't know what I'm doing. I'll stand on the side of the bike from now on.

Maybe it's best to put a block under the side stand instead of using the center stand anyway, as was suggested. Thanks guys.
For real cheap money, you can go to Home Depot / Lowe's and get an electrical junction box cover. WORKS GREAT!
post #17 of 17 Old Nov 5th, 2007, 3:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
I've seen BMW branded sidestand pads in use at the dealership. I don't know if they sell them. I went by a H-D dealership and for $6.00, bought one of their "hockey pucks". My LT doesn't mind that it says H-D and I can spend my workday thinking of places to ride to, rather than wondering if "Big Kitty" has tipped over in the parking lot.

I've used a can and a thin piece of wood in the past. I liked the idea of the hockey puck better.
why not just use a hockey puck?? About 2 bux each at any sporting goods store

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in