esa set up - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 2:58 am Thread Starter

esa set up

I have a question my dealer hasn't been able to answer. I am in the market for a 1200 gt and am new to the idea of esa. My question is are there starting settings for driver weight or has bmw used a average weight? To explain my weight is almost 300 lbs,another rider might weigh 150 lbs. Do I have to use the 2up setting or is there some way the bike adjust for the starting difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 5:14 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendorider
I have a question my dealer hasn't been able to answer. I am in the market for a 1200 gt and am new to the idea of esa. My question is are there starting settings for driver weight or has bmw used a average weight? To explain my weight is almost 300 lbs,another rider might weigh 150 lbs. Do I have to use the 2up setting or is there some way the bike adjust for the starting difference?
No, no other way. The ESA knows 3 settings for spring preload: rider / rider + luggage / rider + passenger + luggage. For all three settings you can also adjust the dampning from comfort (soft) -> normal -> sport (hard).

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 1:29 pm

My experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®win
No, no other way. The ESA knows 3 settings for spring preload: rider / rider + luggage / rider + passenger + luggage. For all three settings you can also adjust the dampning from comfort (soft) -> normal -> sport (hard).
I wish I had a shop manual so I could see if there's any tuning possible with ESA. I'm 245lbs and I'm actually pretty comfortable with the ESA setup as is, no special tuning was done for me. I leave it in 1-up normal mode most of the time, and switch to sport for fun. I find comfort to be a little too bouncy for my taste and pretty much only use it on the crappiest roads.

Here's a thread from K-Bikes that goes into a lot more detail.ESA - How can it works correctly?

From BMW's own website, like the rider/+bags/2-up switch only changes the rear preload, while the comfort/normal/sport switch changes front rebound dampening and rear compression and rebound dampening. That's completely reasonable, and it's nice that the compression/rebound rates change together. The only thing you'd really adjust for rider weight is the rear preload -- and it does seem like it'd be really easy to add a manual adjust on top of the ESA system to tune it for the rider, I'd be surprised if the BMW engineers hadn't thought of that.

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 31st, 2007, 1:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
I wish I had a shop manual so I could see if there's any tuning possible with ESA.
The RepRom is worthless as far as tuning the ESA, so you're not missing anything on that front. Now, taking it off the bike, yep.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 9:07 am

I'm 220 lbs and I find that 1+ luggage and normal is good. If on the highway for a long time I will go to comfort.

With the settings on 1 rider and normal or soft I find that on the bumpy on ramps, not that we have many here LOL, the rear will pack in on heavy acceleration.

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in