Tourque and HP Curve for KGT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 21st, 2007, 8:32 pm Thread Starter
TJD

Tourque and HP Curve for KGT

Does anyone have a link to the stock torque/HP curve for the K12GT? I've heard guys on this board say that the bike really screams at rpm's above 7-8k. My bike seems to top out at about 7k. Seems that the biggest power rush comes in between 4000 - 6000 rpm. I'm wondering if there is another burst of power to be had if I push through the apparent flat spot and let it rev higher. Anyone else have different results?

Honestly, there is so much power available between 4 and 6.5k that I have not felt that I needed to 'push' the bike.

T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 2:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJD
Does anyone have a link to the stock torque/HP curve for the K12GT? I've heard guys on this board say that the bike really screams at rpm's above 7-8k. My bike seems to top out at about 7k. Seems that the biggest power rush comes in between 4000 - 6000 rpm. I'm wondering if there is another burst of power to be had if I push through the apparent flat spot and let it rev higher. Anyone else have different results?

Honestly, there is so much power available between 4 and 6.5k that I have not felt that I needed to 'push' the bike.

T
Are we even talking about the same machine? Slant 4, right?

Mine doesn't feel "pushed" above 6k, in fact it rev's so easily and freely, that its almost a test of "won't" vs "will", to keep the speed within reason. In the lower gears it gets to 10k VERY quickly! With as much low end grunt as it has, it doesn't need to rev, but it sure loves to do so :-)

I haven't really noticed any "burst" of power anywhere, it just keeps getting stronger as the rev's rise. The K1200S seems to have a little more "hit" of power, but nothing like the Japanese liter bikes, which are a bit like flicking a toggle switch in comparison.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 2:31 pm Thread Starter
TJD

Power vs. revs

I agree that there is no "real burst" of power anywhere in the curve but I definitely feel less pull once I rev above 7k. Am I alone in that? Bike goes in for the airbox repair next week. Wondering if I should hav them look at anything else at the same time.

T

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 3:55 pm

On my GT There there is plenty of low end power, But when the rpm's reach 6.5k there is definetly a noticable hold on tight factor.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 5:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
On my GT There there is plenty of low end power, But when the rpm's reach 6.5k there is definetly a noticable hold on tight factor.

Me too...the other day it almost pulled my hands loose from the grips at about 7k

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 6:59 pm

I have the dyno chart for my 07 before the 10.x software change. I've tried to attach it but I keep gettings errors. So if you would like to see it PM me and I'll try that.

Cheers

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 3:54 pm

See page 7 of the attached file for the graph.
Max torque at 7750. Max HP at 9500.

How fast will this engine go, see this:

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4835/

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 07-K1200GT.pdf (359.9 KB, 112 views)
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 27th, 2007, 11:43 am Thread Starter
TJD

HP Curve

Thanks Supersonic, that's exactly what I was looking for. From the looks of the curve, tourqe and HP both begin to relax a bit at about 7800 RPM. that's probably what I'm feeling. By the time I feel that, I'm pretty much hitting warp speed anyway and am ready to get off the throttle. Atleast I know I'm not completely crazy.

Thanks guys -
TD
post #9 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2007, 6:35 am

Change the can and get rid of the "flat spot." I put as Two Brothers exhaust on my GT and it makes a noticable difference. The bottom line is that it hits the rev limiter so fast in the first three gears it takes a little getting used to. What used to feel like a take off then a burst is now a "oh my god" rush throught he gear. I swear with a good launch it's hard to get the feet up and hit the shifter before the rev limiter kicks in.
post #10 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2007, 12:23 pm

My experience

... on my '07 is that at around 7,000 RPMs there is a definite "hit" of power that comes on line that makes me grin widely!
post #11 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2007, 12:24 pm

My experience

... on my '07 is that at around 7,000 RPMs there is a definite "hit" of power that comes on line that makes me grin widely!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in