Mexico Touring - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

Mexico Touring

I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Mexico and would like to benefit from the vast experience on this forum. I'll be departing St. Augustine Florida in late February or early March and only can only afford about two weeks on the road. I have a great many questions, but would like to start with gaining an understanding of the pros and cons of eastern versus western Mexico.

An eastern route might start at McAllen, Texas and include Mexico destinations (in rough order) of Monterey, Zacateca, San Louis Potosi, San Miguel de Allende, Veracruz, Tampico, and Matamoros.

A western (actually northwestern) would, of course, be targeted toward Copper Canyon with passages through Urique, Sinforsoa, Copper, Tararecua, Batopilas, and Oteros canyons. The general route might include a start from Presidio, Texas (Ojinaga, Mexico), Chihuahua, Cuauhtemoc, Agua Caliente, Guachochi, Cerocahui, Urique, Batopilillas, Madera, Ojo Caliente de Santo Domingo, and El Paso.

For this first wave of information, I am interested in such things as:

(1) General condition of roads
(2) The mix of primary versus secondary, versus what road
(3) Availabilty and quality of accomodations
(4) Scenic beauty
(5) Technical nature of rides
(6) Temperature gradients (I understand that the western route is through the Chihuahuan desert)
(7) Riding conditions whhich might challenge making the trip on a 2007 K1200GT

Certainly, some one out there has made one or more trips into Mexico. I would really appreciate any information you might be able to send my way, including routes, Streets and Trips files, hotel, posada, or other guest accomodations, etc.

Please feel free to send me a PM and indicate whether you would be willing to chat by telephone.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 6:00 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyduhon

A western (actually northwestern) would, of course, be targeted toward Copper Canyon with passages through Urique, Sinforsoa, Copper, Tararecua, Batopilas, and Oteros canyons. The general route might include a start from Presidio, Texas (Ojinaga, Mexico), Chihuahua, Cuauhtemoc, Agua Caliente, Guachochi, Cerocahui, Urique, Batopilillas, Madera, Ojo Caliente de Santo Domingo, and El Paso.

(4) Scenic beauty
(6) Temperature gradients (I understand that the western route is through the Chihuahuan desert)
I've been to most of those towns on your "western route" and with out a GS about half of them are inaccessible.

That being said. The Creel is a major tourist destination and the two lane highway that takes you there is one of the best in northern Mexico. There is a Best Western in Creel and you can hook up with a tour guide like these guys - http://the3amigoscanyonexpeditions.com/

Call and ask for Yolanda. She's from the US so her english is pretty good

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Oct 20th, 2007, 6:07 pm

Hi, Bob - welcome to the forums. Hope you get some good responses to your questions.

Two suggestions for you - ping Skip at MotoDiscovery. He is a travel vendor on the forums, and specializes in motorcycle trips into Mexico. He might be willing to help answer your questions. Also, you might try contacting Hank at Rhinewest BMW in San Antonio (210.826.0014), as he has led many 2 & 3-wheel travelers on Mexico trips into the interior. He may not be able to talk much on the phone (he's their ace wrench on scoots), butt you can swap e-mail addys and hopefully, he can answer some of your questions. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyduhon
I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Mexico and would like to benefit from the vast experience on this forum. I'll be departing St. Augustine Florida in late February or early March and only can only afford about two weeks on the road. I have a great many questions, but would like to start with gaining an understanding of the pros and cons of eastern versus western Mexico.

An eastern route might start at McAllen, Texas and include Mexico destinations (in rough order) of Monterey, Zacateca, San Louis Potosi, San Miguel de Allende, Veracruz, Tampico, and Matamoros.

(4) Scenic beauty

Certainly, some one out there has made one or more trips into Mexico. I would really appreciate any information you might be able to send my way, including routes, Streets and Trips files, hotel, posada, or other guest accomodations, etc.

Please feel free to send me a PM and indicate whether you would be willing to chat by telephone.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in