GT passinger comforts - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 9:42 pm Thread Starter

GT passinger comforts

Ok, the wife wants LT comfort and I want GT everything else...
Other then a custom seat, larger screen and lowered footpegs...

Has anyone seen a source for added creature comforts like:

Back & Arm rests for the top box,
A different top box with a bit more room front to back

preferable quick disconnect... because I KNOW that she will only use it twice a year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 9:22 am

Garage
First, the LT is in a class of its own. It is the ultimate luxury tourer.

Couple of questions come to mind.

How often will she ride with you? Occasionally or every time you ride. How many multi day trips eg cross country? Comfort becomes much more important on those long treks. The LT is ready for driver to passenger communications; the GT you will have to add that feature as an aftermarket item. A comm system is much preferred to a jab in the side when you go too fast, and trust me, you WILL go too fast on the GT. C'est la vie.

BMW has two top boxes that fit on the GT. Both have a back rest, but neither has arm rests (Nor does the LT). There may be some aftermarket arm rests available. Both of the boxes take about 10 seconds to either put on or remove. Both boxes are pricey.
post #3 of 4 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 11:13 am

A top box with a back rest is the most viable addition. Corbin does sell a stand alone back rest, but I've heard bad things about their service, and I wasn't impressed talking to them at Laguna Seca.

I installed a Givi E52. It's a pretty nice top box. Not color matched. I think a paint job is in order.

As for arm rests, I don't believe there are any aftermarket arm rests for the GT. I'd buy them if there were.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT

post #4 of 4 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 2:04 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmanley
First, the LT is in a class of its own. It is the ultimate luxury tourer.

Couple of questions come to mind.

How often will she ride with you? Occasionally or every time you ride. How many multi day trips eg cross country? Comfort becomes much more important on those long treks. The LT is ready for driver to passenger communications; the GT you will have to add that feature as an aftermarket item. A comm system is much preferred to a jab in the side when you go too fast, and trust me, you WILL go too fast on the GT. C'est la vie.

BMW has two top boxes that fit on the GT. Both have a back rest, but neither has arm rests (Nor does the LT). There may be some aftermarket arm rests available. Both of the boxes take about 10 seconds to either put on or remove. Both boxes are pricey.
This whole backrest thing puzzles me .. if passengers lean back against them they put too much weight past the back axle which makes the front end feel flighty and light, certainly on bikes I've previously had with backrests.

I've recently won the smaller BMW top case on Ebay, it came without the backrest and I'm not at this moment inclined to fit one, unless anyone can convince me otherwise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in