Musings and stuff .. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 6:43 am Thread Starter

Garage
Musings and stuff ..

Despite the airbox issues I've got to admit I'm impressed by this bike.

Managed to win a small top case on ebay for half the retail price, which was great.

Disappointed with the laughable toolkit, compared to my previous 5 K100RS's ... but then certainly within the warranty period all is covered by service and recovery.

At point of purchase I had the bike specced with the genuine tank bag, this was fitted by the dealers and they commented they were'nt happy with its fit. It was very wobbly and loose. It appeared to be that the rear adjustment straps were stitched too low down with the foam backing. Dealers have been in touch with BMW to report the problem, they ordered a replacement and it was the same. I've fixed it by unpicking the stitching for about an inch back, and restitching. There's now enough scope to adjust properly.

I was also dismayed that on a 15,000 bike there was only one metal key and an emergency plastic key. I'd expected two metal keys to be honest. Given they're chipped to work with the EWS it's not just a case of having one cut. Again the dealers suggested I write to BMW, this worked a treat and the dealership was authorised by BMW to issue a free additional key

Whilst riding last night I was a bit concered that the engine appeared to sound distinctly more "tappetty" ... blips of the throttle at traffic stops etc made me more convinced ... all sorts whizzing though my mind .. cam lobe wear ... poor oil circulation etc.

Then of course I recalled that on the weekend my daughter had been on the back and we'd turned up the Autocom ... turns out the microphone in my helmet was picking up the engine noise and interestingly was magnifying the valvegear sounds LOL <phew>

I use the Autocom solo too as it connects to the GPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 8:10 am

The tool kit is sparse at best, but it is fun to build your own.

I'm using the Chicane bag with water bladder, good stuff! Especially in our hot climate.

Getting them to pony up an extra key saved you a bunch of bucks, eh?

Since I carry no passengers, don't want to talk on the phone and purdy much travel alone, I pulled the Push to Talk, cords, phone cord and even the mic. Just the ear speakers and wind/volume adjustment. It does make it easier when you sing.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 1:01 pm
TJD

More musings...

I too complained about the plastic key during the new bike delivery process. When the dealer attempted to show me how useful this extra key was, he snapped it off in my gas cap. A new metal key was ordered that same day. That plastic key is pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Grif - I checked into the Chicane bag you referred me to and it looked like a perfect match for what I wanted. The one I saw was designed for the LT though and it seemed I was going to have to jury rig it to make it fit the GT. How did you do it?

Lastly, I've been making calls about the surging idle issue and finally got the right service guy on the phone. They also said they will do the Fettle for me under warranty or just order me a new airbox. I think I'll choose the latter.

This e-mail group has been a wealth of info over the past month!

T

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 1:16 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJD
I too complained about the plastic key during the new bike delivery process. When the dealer attempted to show me how useful this extra key was, he snapped it off in my gas cap. A new metal key was ordered that same day. That plastic key is pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

<snip>
T
I don't mind the plastic one as a super emergency backup, I have one from my car (a 520i Tourer) and the one from the bike in my wallet just in case I was ever to lose my keys to either while out etc.

I just wanted another metal set of key/bike chain lock/alarm fob as a back up so that if the original was lost I'd have something to tide me over until replacements where sourced.
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJD
Grif - I checked into the Chicane bag you referred me to and it looked like a perfect match for what I wanted. The one I saw was designed for the LT though and it seemed I was going to have to jury rig it to make it fit the GT. How did you do it?
The front strap is a beyotch and much easier to do with the tupperware off. Since I tore the bike down when I first rode it home from the dealer, I did it then. Just went around the front yoke. The back strap is easy.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in