Hesitancy, surging and high idle .... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2007, 4:18 am Thread Starter

Garage
Hesitancy, surging and high idle ....

... things were so good.

But after the 600 mile service, and a few more miles under her belt this weekend I started opening the throttle a tad more and she's started misbehaving. Staying at 2.5 to 3k rpm on trailing throttle, which is very unpleasant running into corners and roundabouts (just as well the handling and braking's so good!), then when stopped the idle speed sits between those revs grrrrrr.

Occasional hesitancy at around 3.5k rpm when the throttles opened quickly too.

Apparently mine has CC10 according to the GS911 gadget. Just wonder what my options are now? Is it a question of wating for BMW to release CC11 in Sept 2008 (I think I read that's when it's scheduled!!)

Love the bike but a little disappointed now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2007, 7:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by slparry
... things were so good.

But after the 600 mile service, and a few more miles under her belt this weekend I started opening the throttle a tad more and she's started misbehaving. Staying at 2.5 to 3k rpm on trailing throttle, which is very unpleasant running into corners and roundabouts (just as well the handling and braking's so good!), then when stopped the idle speed sits between those revs grrrrrr.

Apparently mine has CC10 according to the GS911 gadget. Just wonder what my options are now? Is it a question of wating for BMW to release CC11 in Sept 2008 (I think I read that's when it's scheduled!!)

Classic symtoms of a vacuum hose off the throttle bodies. Often happens inadverdently during service. When one of the little hoses is off the idle will range between stalling and over 2,000 RPM.

Have the dealer check for vacuum leaks. Or pull the left side fairing and check yourself.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2007, 9:16 am

That's the high idle syndrome, sometimes accompanied by bucking bike syndrome. Not all GT's do it, though we've found a fix till BMW comes out with their new airbox. It's called "The Fettle". The fix was found by a BMW tech in England who "fettled" and airbox.

Go to www.k-bikes.com , hit the GT Forum and then The Fettle Report.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:43 am

OOPS! Wrong forum!

Disregard my post about vacuum lines. I did not notice it was in the GT forum! I only think LT when reading here as that is all I knew about.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2007, 11:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Disregard my post about vacuum lines. I did not notice it was in the GT forum! I only think LT when reading here as that is all I knew about.
Hell, I KNOW what the problem was: waiting for that cup of kkkkkkkaffee to kick in. Sometimes I wait all day.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #6 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2007, 12:16 pm
TJD

Airbox fettle

Grif - I read the link you directed me to and it is very well documented. Kudos to the author. Is the Airbox Fettle a known cure? That looks like a fair amount of work and I'd hate to do it to find out that it was the problem after all. Have you done it yourself?

Thanks,
T
post #7 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2007, 12:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJD
Grif - I read the link you directed me to and it is very well documented. Kudos to the author. Is the Airbox Fettle a known cure? That looks like a fair amount of work and I'd hate to do it to find out that it was the problem after all. Have you done it yourself?

Thanks,
T
The author has proven it to be a cure. I would use graphite when sanding to impregnate it and make sure it stays slick. Grease or oil can attract dust and/or cause stiction over time. Be sure to blow it down before assembly.

I haven't done it, haven't needed to. But it's real straight forward and I have torn my bike down to that point right after I rode it home from the dealer. No big deal. You can bring it over and I'll do it for you.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2007, 4:29 pm

Quote:
... things were so good.

Hi there! (First post over here BTW )

I took delivery of my new silver 08 about a week or so ago. The bike is great except that i'm having pretty much identical symptons to you from the get go. I've not yet had my first service, so its doubtful any dealer tech has caused it. Having looked on these boards the symptons seem to be called "high idle" and "bucking bronco syndrone".

By the way i'm over in staffordshire, so not too far away

Few questions for ya.

Do you know what week number build yours is? I think mine was week 37.
Do you know if its got the new airbox?
Is yours aventurine silver?

post #9 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 4:22 am Thread Starter

Garage
I've just had a response from the dealers, that the airbox is being revised by BMW and that I can either take it in (or have it collected) for a repair to the airbox or wait until the revised airbox is available.

I've said I'll wait for now unless it REALLY starts to tick me off

as to your questions Mike

mine is silver .. but its called crystal grey I think
the dealers on about fitting the new box .. BMW have told them it's still "being developed" so I guess no one has a "new" new one yet.
when I checked my VIN at http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi it says
Chassis number ZN72879
Vehicle code 0587
Series K44
Model K1200GT
Body type OTHER
Catalog model ECE
Production date 2007 / 04
Engine
Transmission
Steering
Catalyzer YES

If you come over to north Wales anytime give me a shout, I'm about 4 miles from the Horseshoe Pass.

One point I have wondered about is if I an accident occured a devious person could surely say the accident was caused by the high revs issue, BMW would have a hard time fighting and disproving it in court I'd think.

BTW given BMW are saying it can be "repaired", I assume by the "fettle" http://www.parabolicalabs.com/fettle/fettlev1.htm there's a report on the results of the fix and it appears to resolve the issue

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10843

PS to all not sure if any have found this parts catalogue

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...7&mospid=49383

but it's very useful

Last edited by slparry; Oct 2nd, 2007 at 5:48 am.
post #10 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 8:58 am

Quote:
BTW given BMW are saying it can be "repaired", I assume by the "fettle" http://www.parabolicalabs.com/fettle/fettlev1.htm there's a report on the results of the fix and it appears to resolve the issue
If y'all English boys don't understand the word "fettle" what are us poor South Texans gonna do?

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 2:21 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
If y'all English boys don't understand the word "fettle" what are us poor South Texans gonna do?
I understand what fettle is

... and I'm NOT English, I'm WELSH and PROUD of it. Never ceases to amaze me how Americans think everyone in the United Kingdom is English

I will accept being called British, I'd prefer to be called Welsh but calling me English is as acceptable as me calling you Mexican or Canadian. Fine countries no doubt but only neighbours to you

<rant over >
post #12 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 2:37 pm

Quote:
I understand what fettle is

... and I'm NOT English, I'm WELSH and PROUD of it. Never ceases to amaze me how Americans think everyone in the United Kingdom is English

I will accept being called British, I'd prefer to be called Welsh but calling me English is as acceptable as me calling you Mexican or Canadian. Fine countries no doubt but only neighbours to you

<rant over >
Oh man, I hear you and I apologize. I called one of our Scottish brethren English, you can guess the rest.

I've never claimed to be intelligent, but on the other hand, I do not recognize ethnicity, religion, nor place of birth when judging a man.

Being Welsh is a fine claim, as I'm proud to be a Texian.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 3:21 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Oh man, I hear you and I apologize. I called one of our Scottish brethren English, you can guess the rest.

I've never claimed to be intelligent, but on the other hand, I do not recognize ethnicity, religion, nor place of birth when judging a man.

Being Welsh is a fine claim, as I'm proud to be a Texian.
It's OK, I got used to it .. I dated a US doctor from Houston for a few years (till 911 happened and meant travel was less appealing for a while) and when I'd visit her in the US it was a regular thing

Scots, Irish and Welsh ... being Celtic nations are fiercly proud of their heritage.
post #14 of 15 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 12:10 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Update on this ....

I complained directly to BMW (GB), still yet to hear from them. However, I also CC'd VOSA, they're the UK Government office that deals with, amongst other things, vehicle faults etc. They replied straight away asking me to complete a form, which I've duly done. Perhaps now things will move faster, or at least it will if they get on BMW's case

Don't know if it's of any use to anyone here but I found one reference that mentioned that if you reset the TPS (throttle position sensor) it eases the problem. I tried it and it maybe-ish could've been not quite as bad ....

Technique is

Turn ignition on
Cycle the twistgrip fully closed to fully open three times
Turn off ignition
Turn on and start engine, use as normal.
post #15 of 15 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 4:45 am Thread Starter

Garage
Further Update: ....

Dealer email..
"Confirmation has now arrived from BMW.
It comes with a warning which we have to advise you of prior to fitting.

"..the update noticeably changes the ridablility of the vehicles with the EU2
exhaust emissions standard ,with regard to softer load alteration processes
and should only be programmed after consultation with the customer"

Basically the above statement is more for bikes up to 2005,as your bike is
on EU3 emmissions, so it shouldn't alter your ridability as it would an
earlier model.

The entire ZFE software gets updated with this new airbox, and it cannot be
re-programmed back to the original software status."

So now I wait for the back ordering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in