Ipod lockup with Dice - Firmware to blame? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 20th, 2007, 12:59 pm Thread Starter

Ipod lockup with Dice - Firmware to blame?

Hi

I have a 2003 Lt with a 30GB Video IPOD. It use to work for extended periods of time (2 to 3 hours) without locking up when connected to my DICE unit. (Replace the 6 CD changer for the Dice unit)

Over the past 1 1/2 years, Apple kept pushing new updates to my Itunes and my IPOD. I am now experiencing a problem where my IPOD locks up after 20 minutes or so. I opened a ticket with DICE and they pretty much ignored me.

I just started looking at the DICE website and noticed the FW 1.1.1 is the only supported Firmware. My IPOD now has 1.1.2 installed. (Thanks Nike/Apple for pushing crap that I don't need)

Anyway, I want to rollback my firmware to 1.1.1 Does anyone know of a way to do this? I am planning on reinstalling Itunes using my original CD and then restoring the IPOD. Will this work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 20th, 2007, 2:55 pm

Could be an incompatibility issue, but my experience has told me that the iPods just don't like vibrations. I have also been told that iPods tend to lock up more as they get filled up closer to theie max storage. How close are you to maxxing yours' out?

I have never "reinstalled" the software into an iPod, so I'm not sure if you can rollback the current version or not.
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 20th, 2007, 4:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Could be an incompatibility issue, but my experience has told me that the iPods just don't like vibrations. I have also been told that iPods tend to lock up more as they get filled up closer to theie max storage. How close are you to maxxing yours' out?

I have never "reinstalled" the software into an iPod, so I'm not sure if you can rollback the current version or not.

Thanks for the feedback..

Tech support at an apple store told my friend the same thing.. that they are more likely to lock up when getting close to full. So I reduced my 3000 songs to just under 1000. 60% free space. At first it seemed to work better, but then locked up after 25 songs, now it is locking up after 10 songs.

My friend borrowed my son's Nano (no hard drive) and he said it worked fine. (he has the exact same bike and dice unit) I am getting ready to switch ipods with my son, but I didnt want to give up on my 30gig since it use to work for hours without any problems.

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 1st, 2007, 3:17 pm

VIBRATION, VIBRATION...!

Tried every trick in the book with Dice... the junked it.

Anytime my I-pod gets a good shake- it locks up and will not come back till it runs the battery down.

So, now on my GSA, I just put it in the tank bag/Map pouch and no issues.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 1st, 2007, 8:55 pm

Cool

I am glad to see this thread. Not that I want you to have problems. I am wanting to set up an I-pod or a hard drive of some sort, in place of the 6 disc changer.

So what is the best recommendation?
What equipment is needed to attach to 12 volt power?
Can hard drive be controlled by the radio controls?
and any other questions I cant think of!

Thanks

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old Dec 5th, 2008, 6:29 am

Re: Ipod lockup with Dice - Firmware to blame?

That's why I bought a Nano 8GB. It's flash not a hard drive. So the theory is that vibration won't bother it. Now I'm just having a problem with radio recognizing it. My buddies same model worked when we tested the DICE. Already checked their website and it is supported.

Syd
Dallas, Texas
'05 K1200LT Graphite ( Big E's former ride )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in