Michelin Pilot Road 2 tars - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 8:15 pm Thread Starter

Michelin Pilot Road 2 tars

6,000 miles on the GT, and the Bridgestone 020 tars were shot - rear worn out, front cupped (feathered ??) badly. The parts guy @ Touring Sport BMW talked to me about a new dual compound Michelin tar, but he was only able to get front tars in my size. Then a few days ago he sez, "I got one (1) rear tar in your size". I said, "I'll take it"!

So I now have a new set of dual compound Michelin Pilot Road 2 tars on the GT. I'm not a high mileage rider, so it'll take a while for me to accumulate 6,000 miles on them - but as the miles add up, I will report on their performance.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 8:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
6,000 miles on the GT, and the Bridgestone 020 tars were shot - rear worn out, front cupped (feathered ??) badly. The parts guy @ Touring Sport BMW talked to me about a new dual compound Michelin tar, but he was only able to get front tars in my size. Then a few days ago he sez, "I got one (1) rear tar in your size". I said, "I'll take it"!

So I now have a new set of dual compound Michelin Pilot Road 2 tars on the GT. I'm not a high mileage rider, so it'll take a while for me to accumulate 6,000 miles on them - but as the miles add up, I will report on their performance.

- Bob

Cool...I will be looking forward to hearing about them. I am considering them for my GT when the tires wear out. Have metzelers now and like them fine, just been hearing a lot about the Michelins.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 21 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 8:52 pm

Pilot Roads

That's what I bought in Texas. The front one is still purty good...but I wore through the rear one in short order. I replaced the rear Pilot Road with the Pilot Sport in Lincoln, NE. It ain't holding up too badly for a sportier tire. In fact, it may give me more mileage than the Sport Road did.

My next set's gonna be the Avon Storms. I hear they're black, and round, and have grooves in them.

post #4 of 21 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 9:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
My next set's gonna be the Avon Storms. I hear they're black, and round, and have grooves in them.
That's the bestest kind!

The Conti Road Attacks have over 6k on them and they're still looking great. I think I'm going to get 10k out of them. Of course, we had a real wet, under 100 degree summer this year, which may have added some longevity.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 21 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 9:15 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Note that there is a big difference between the Pilot Rods and the Pilot Road 2CT tires. The newer ones are just barely reaching distributors in the States, though they have been available in Europe for a while.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 21 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 9:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Note that there is a big difference between the Pilot Rods and the Pilot Road 2CT tires. The newer ones are just barely reaching distributors in the States, though they have been available in Europe for a while.
The Pilot Road 2 are the one's I want to try next. Like a kid in a candy store, all these choices! Especially fun after the limited offerings for the LT.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 21 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 9:44 pm

Re: Michelin Pilot Road 2 tars

My Michelin Roads where getting down to smooth, no tread left. All the good reviews about the Road 2's had me set to try them. Then a nail in the rear set the deal in stone. Thats when I found nobody near me had any and the Frenchies had them back ordered into January. dang. Found a pair at mailorder house MSS and got them on this past weekend. What great tires. They corner better, and they ride smoother. I'm looking forward to seeing how long they last.
post #8 of 21 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 9:53 pm

A long friggin' time, or around 10 thousand smiles, whichever comes first.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 21 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 10:11 pm

i sure hope so. The Frenchies are awful proud of their tars
post #10 of 21 Old Nov 18th, 2008, 12:28 pm
Super Moderator

I've put 6500 on a set of PR2s since August and I love 'em! Even better is they still have a decent amount of life left in them.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #11 of 21 Old Nov 18th, 2008, 7:40 pm

David

I am surprised you get that much on these tires. I get 6k on the 020's on an LT max, often less. The dual compound strategy must really work, plus the center compund must be at least as hard as the 020's. I know the LT is heavier, but the drive off the rear wheel on the GT is considerably greater than the LT, even thrashing the LT in 2nd and 3rd.

What do you consider the reason for the good mileage? What did you used to get on an LT on 020's?

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #12 of 21 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 12:00 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmg08057
David

I am surprised you get that much on these tires. I get 6k on the 020's on an LT max, often less. The dual compound strategy must really work, plus the center compund must be at least as hard as the 020's. I know the LT is heavier, but the drive off the rear wheel on the GT is considerably greater than the LT, even thrashing the LT in 2nd and 3rd.

What do you consider the reason for the good mileage? What did you used to get on an LT on 020's?
I only ran 020s on the LTs a couple of times, and only got about 4500-5000 out of them. That's why I stuck with the ME880s, I could get 8-10K out of those, even though they weren't as good in the wet.

I think the good mileage on the PR2s is the lighter bike and the dual compound rubber and the type of compunds they are using ointh center. They rally nailed it with this tire and the technology; it's certainly one of the best technology "trickle downs" from the racing world that I've seen. I am starting to notice a flat spot on the front and rear thanks to my commute (55 mile round trip each day) but there's still good tread from sidewall to sidewall, even though the sides look a little worked after a hard day of playing around. As you know i'm not easy on a tire.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #13 of 21 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 5:43 am

For what its worth, I have 14K miles on a set of RP2's on my..................wait for it...............FJR.

Mike
IBA #433
post #14 of 21 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 6:33 am

What really freaks me out is I wore my front PR2 out before the rear, as in wear bars showing. This was at 10k, so I swapped them both out.

It must have been the sedate riding at CCR, eh, David?

-=grif=-

Grok
post #15 of 21 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 1:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
What really freaks me out is I wore my front PR2 out before the rear, as in wear bars showing. This was at 10k, so I swapped them both out.

90+ mph winds are much cooler than those slow breezes, right? Keeps those tires cool and fresh!

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #16 of 21 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 11:52 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots

I know, I had to take it easy the whole trip. Something funky was going on with my head; the horizon kept tilting at all kinds of weird angles, things all around me were blurry, loud whooshing noises. I'm amazed I ever got out of 2nd gear!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #17 of 21 Old May 11th, 2013, 10:38 am

Can Michelin Commander II's be installed on LT. Has anyone used these tires on their LT? If yes, what kind of mileage did you get?
post #18 of 21 Old May 11th, 2013, 12:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWF1200LT
Can Michelin Commander II's be installed on LT. Has anyone used these tires on their LT? If yes, what kind of mileage did you get?
In their fitment guide, check their size, weight, and speed ratings against the OEM requirements. Your model year may also be a factor as to whether you should run bias ply or radial ply tires.

Front = 120/70 B17 M/C 58V
Rear = 160/70 B17 M/C 79V
post #19 of 21 Old May 11th, 2013, 7:22 pm

Dick, thanks for your reply. Will 160/70B/17 MC73V work?
post #20 of 21 Old May 11th, 2013, 8:35 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

73V is weight rated at 800 lbs, while the recommended 79V tire is rated at 960 lbs.

So yes, the Commander II tires will fit, but they are underrated for weight.

As such, I would not recommend them for the heavy K1200LT.

Also note that this is a thread in the K12/1300GT forum, not the main K1200LT forum or the Tires subforum . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #21 of 21 Old May 14th, 2013, 11:46 pm

Just put my third set on today....I love those tires..well over 10k for me and I ride the crap out of them. Just got my last ones from http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/
and these people were great. Free shipping and had them in Alabama from Arizona in two days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in