DA for GT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:38 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
DA for GT?

Are GT riders allowed to join the Droppers Anonymous club, or do I have to start my own chapter?

But really, it wasn't my fault. It was a mechanical failure, or a design flaw, or something that I can blame on BMW anyway.

I had pulled in to my Grandma's driveway in Arkansas after CCR and parked. After hugs & kisses and greetings, I opened her garage door, rode the bike inside, and put it on the side stand. I then got off, pulled it upright, put my right foot on the center stand tab, left hand on the grip, right hand on the grab rail, and lifted.

Suddenly, the bike was falling away from me. I vainly tried to stop it, but it had gone too far so I ended up falling flat on top of the bike as it laid down with a very loud and disconcerting crunch.

After picking myself up, I called Dayle out to help me right the bike. After we got the bike upright, I discovered that the center stand tab that you stand on had broken almost all the way through.

Note that there are no crash guards on the GT. Even so, the damage wasn't that bad. There were scrapes on the saddlebag lid and the back edges of the front fairing, but these had been covered with protective film when I first got the bike. It looks like there was no serious paint damage or plastic cracks, so I imagine some new film will hide those warts. There is a small mark on the edge of the mirror (which had bent up out of the way like it was supposed to), but not enough to freak out about. The biggest problems were a busted PHID driving light, and big scratches to a helmet visor and a broken helmet vent tab (helmet was sitting on the bike at the time).

I was just lucky that I was in the center of an empty garage and not a couple of feet closer to the wall. Having to ride 3,500 miles home with a busted windshield would have sucked big time. In fact, the biggest problem I had was trying to change out the rear tire a few days later with a seriously damaged center stand. I took the bags and trunk off to get as much weight off the back of the bike as I could, and asked for help to get it lifted. It was then I realized that the center stand was folding way too far forward.

You can see that the bottom feet should be level to the ground, not lifted up in front. This meant that the rear wheel was just touching the ground when on the stand. I had noticed the bike was getting harder and harder to put on the center stand, but I had just thought it was because the bike was loaded for two-up travel.

I set the ESA to solo to reduce preload (and thus reduce shock extension slightly), and pulled the rim off. I was awfully nervous while the wheel was off the bike and kept checking to see if it was still upright. I also wondered if I could get a new, rounder, taller tire back on without having to lift the rear of the bike further. But I managed to replace the wheel and complete my trip without further problems. I just had to remember to only fuel on the side stand on the way home.

I called my dealer and informed them, who checked my serial number and said that my bike didn't fall under the Service Bulletin for the '06 center stands. But they ordered a new center stand on my word alone. They're replacing it now during the 24K service and in fact had to overnight some more parts when they took it apart and saw that the stop brackets were bent. They're also going to speak with the regional BMW representative about covering the other damages. I wish it hadn't failed in the first place, but I can't fault the dealer's efforts to take care of the problem without hassle.

Now where did I see that post about modifying frame sliders to work on the GT?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Sep 15th, 2007 at 12:19 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 4:14 am

Bummer. I had my stops replaced at 6K, then the whole kit & caboodle at 19K. That pic of your GT up on it's bent stops sure does look like what mine looked like with the old centerstand. Mine has been just fine ever since I had the newer version installed. Hopefully, you'll have the same experience.

As for frame sliders . . . puhleeze!
post #3 of 42 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 5:11 am

Red face

On second thought...
Maybe's it's high-time you started on the Atkin's Diet. Too much good eats at CCR, or what??!!??

post #4 of 42 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 7:18 am

Dang Ken, that is teh suck... Good on you to post up so your fellow GT owners are aware this possibility. I'm assuming the service bulletin was for the bending stops, or have there been other failures like yours?

If any of my bikes go over in the garage, there's definitely going to be something broken (not a lot of room for error in there).

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #5 of 42 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 7:49 am

Ken...sorry to hear about the damage to your bike. Hopefully they will warranty it. Gosh...that stinks. You know, after having to muscle my LT onto the centerstand for quite a while, when I first putmy GT on the centerstand, I just about threw it backwards out of the garage. It was so much lighter. I'm gonna do it carefully now.

I was wondering, can you get a pic posted of the bent "stops"?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 42 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 7:56 am

Sorry to hear bout the drop Ken. And thanks for the post. I am assuming the '07 models have already had this upgrade. At least I hope so.

I was up to the dealer yesterday to get the brake wear sensor repaired and he asked if there was anything else to be attended to. No mention of this or any other of the problems I've been hearing about came from him. It turned out to be the broken wire syndrome on mine.

Nice ride to the dealership and about 3 hours round trip with a couple of hours spent waiting. I was given a '07 1200RT as a loaner to go get some eats, shot the bull with the salesman, wondered around the shop for a bit, and was on my way back home...with no red light starring at me. Got out of there with a hat purchase and ordered an extension wire for the Autocom connection to the Sirius. All for under a $100.00!

All in all a good day.

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

post #7 of 42 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 10:54 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Bummer. I had my stops replaced at 6K, then the whole kit & caboodle at 19K. That pic of your GT up on it's bent stops sure does look like what mine looked like with the old centerstand. Mine has been just fine ever since I had the newer version installed. Hopefully, you'll have the same experience.

As for frame sliders . . . puhleeze!
Joe, I know you had the stops replaced, but I didn't realize they later replaced the whole center stand. Interesting. As for overloading, we had two weeks of clothes for Dayle, three weeks for me, a saddlebag full of tools for the IBR checkpoint, two laptops, rain gear and extra gloves for both of us, etc. At one point, we had soft bags bungied on top of both saddlebags, plus the rack on top of the trunk. It was then that we started shipping things home.

And I need frame sliders. Where else am I gonna bolt my highway pegs?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 42 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 10:54 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
On second thought...
Maybe's it's high-time you started on the Atkin's Diet. Too much good eats at CCR, or what??!!??
By the way, how's that diet of yours coming along?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #9 of 42 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 10:56 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
Dang Ken, that is teh suck... Good on you to post up so your fellow GT owners are aware this possibility. I'm assuming the service bulletin was for the bending stops, or have there been other failures like yours?

If any of my bikes go over in the garage, there's definitely going to be something broken (not a lot of room for error in there).
Yep, the Service Bulletin was for the bending center stand stops. My bike was supposedly outside the affected VIN range, but they took care of it without hassle. The dealer said that hadn't seen one break there before, but they were going to send the bits back to BMW for inspection. (I've heard that one before.

I did have a K100LT go over and into a fence once, taking out the windshield. That sucked.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #10 of 42 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 10:58 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Ken...sorry to hear about the damage to your bike. Hopefully they will warranty it. Gosh...that stinks. You know, after having to muscle my LT onto the centerstand for quite a while, when I first putmy GT on the centerstand, I just about threw it backwards out of the garage. It was so much lighter. I'm gonna do it carefully now.

I was wondering, can you get a pic posted of the bent "stops"?
I didn't get a close up of the bent stops. Maybe Joe took a pic when it happened to him? If you look at my last pic at the top of the stand just below the pivot point is a square block. That rests against a metal tab just in front of it that is bolted to the bottom of the frame casting using that allen screw that's pointed down. Basically, the pivot is attached firmly to the frame, so any excessive force is transmitted by the square block to the stop, which is a much weaker component that bows outward allowing the stand to rotate a bit further forward. If you lay down and look at your own bike you should see what I mean.

And I actually think the GT is harder to put on the center stand than the LT (unless the shocks are worn). Must be better leverage on the LT stand.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #11 of 42 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 11:00 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberBiker
Sorry to hear bout the drop Ken. And thanks for the post. I am assuming the '07 models have already had this upgrade. At least I hope so.
Like I said, mine was supposedly outside the affected VIN range. I believe mine was built in January 2007, though I don't have the bike back yet to check. But it happened, they fixed it, and I kept on riding. Can't ask for much more.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #12 of 42 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 12:59 pm

Ken,
Sorry to hear about the drop, It does get expensive fast on these GT's. Mine is get tougher all the time to get up on the center stand. I will have to go do a closer inspection.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #13 of 42 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 4:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
And I actually think the GT is harder to put on the center stand than the LT (unless the shocks are worn). Must be better leverage on the LT stand.
Yea...you DEFINITELY need a new centerstand. The GT is WAY easier than the LT. Not that the LT was all that difficult. But in comparison, the GT wins hands-down, when the centerstand is fuctioning properly.
post #14 of 42 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 6:07 pm

Exclamation Warning

[QUOTE=meese] I discovered that the center stand tab that you stand on had broken almost all the way through.

I have noticed a progressive increase in resistance when I put my bike on the center stand prior to my center stand failure. My center stand fractured at the crossover tube. In fact my centerstand exploded while riding during the 07 IBR .
I am posting this as a warning to others. The fracture to my stand seemed to occur from the inside .
One may not see the destruction in progress. As a precautionary measure I plan to gusset my replacement stand.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #15 of 42 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 6:40 pm

Exclamation Warning

[QUOTE=meese] I discovered that the center stand tab that you stand on had broken almost all the way through.

I have noticed a progressive increase in resistance when I put my bike on the center stand prior to my center stand failure. My center stand fractured at the crossover tube. In fact my centerstand exploded while riding during the 07 IBR .
I am posting this as a warning to others. The fracture to my stand seemed to occur from the inside .
One may not see the destruction in progress. As a precautionary measure I plan to gusset my replacement stand.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #16 of 42 Old Sep 15th, 2007, 8:22 pm

[QUOTE=murray]
Quote:
I discovered that the center stand tab that you stand on had broken almost all the way through.

Murray...Did YOURS break too? What year is your bike?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #17 of 42 Old Sep 16th, 2007, 1:32 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Pete's riding an LT, though we have heard of that type of break happening on more than one LT.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #18 of 42 Old Sep 17th, 2007, 11:15 am

Talking Beware, the centerstand is the devil's magic!

IMO, other than on the LT, hydraulics/electrical, is an evil contraption concocted by the devil himself. And that sooner or later the centerstand, will bite you in the ass as sure as the day is long.

HD, has in my opinion the BEST sidestand designed and implemented. But, my good buddy goes and gets a (non-HD) centerstand, but being sold by HD dealers, and guess what? Drops his 'Glide' putting it on the centerstand.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #19 of 42 Old Sep 17th, 2007, 12:09 pm

Quote:

HAHA
Heck Ken, my LT is easier to put on the center stand than our Daughters 250cc Ninja!

(then again it's raised <g>)

sorry to see your damage,

Tom
post #20 of 42 Old Sep 17th, 2007, 11:32 pm

Quote:
On second thought...

Are you pot or kettle?

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #21 of 42 Old Sep 18th, 2007, 5:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
Are you pot or kettle?
I've lost 15 pound in the last few weeks. So I guess, neither.

And I ain't the one breaking stuff when I step on it. 'Cept maybe YOU! Now...get over here!!!
post #22 of 42 Old Sep 18th, 2007, 10:24 pm

Quote:
I've lost 15 pound in the last few weeks. So I guess, neither.

And I ain't the one breaking stuff when I step on it. 'Cept maybe YOU! Now...get over here!!!
I doubt youd break me, Joe. On another note, if ya ever want to catch the Lake Erie Monsters....gimme a call, being a referee, I get free tix on the nights I skate.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #23 of 42 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 1:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Dang that sucks! Glad BMW is stepping up to it.

Now if I could just get that kind of response to the center stand failure on my 30 year old /7 ...dang frame mount threads are shot on one side plus those are famous for having the tang break off like yours (though in fairness, you're not supposed to stand on those old ones).

When is BMW going to admit they can't build a center stand worth a damn

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #24 of 42 Old Sep 19th, 2007, 3:20 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
When is BMW going to admit they can't build a center stand worth a damn
Right after they admit there's a slight problem with their final drives.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #25 of 42 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 6:50 pm

Quote:
Yea...you DEFINITELY need a new centerstand. The GT is WAY easier than the LT. Not that the LT was all that difficult. But in comparison, the GT wins hands-down, when the centerstand is fuctioning properly.
Are you kidding? My GT is waay harder than my '00 LT, which was a piece of cake. Getting my GT off the centerstand is harder than getting it on the stand, and I actually use the method recommended in the manual to take it off the stand - standing on the side instead of straddling the bike.

Are you saying all I need is a new stand??? Dayam.
post #26 of 42 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 7:17 pm
Bouncer

Here's our "drop" from last July.

Paved roads that turn into muddy roads with NO NOTICE suck.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0105.jpg
Views:	1595
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	14557   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0106.jpg
Views:	1615
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	14558  

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #27 of 42 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 8:00 pm
fas

Talking Joe lost weight?

Florian...Joe lost 20# means he took a dump.

Put new Metx Z6 on today front $120.42 and rear $170.38 plus the Z Technik V Stream $158.75 at Sills. 9232 on the odo. I love this GT.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #28 of 42 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 8:00 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Yep. The mud pattern on your bike is exactly what was scratched on mine, including the mirror. The Clear Bra avoided any serious damage though, and BMW paid for all the repairs and the new center stand. Love the pic of all the mud up your left side.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #29 of 42 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 8:02 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by howgus
Are you saying all I need is a new stand??? Dayam.
Take a look at the third pic at the top of this thread. If your center stand folds that far forward so that the bottom feet aren't sitting flush on the ground then get yourself down to BMW and demand a replacement. Otherwise just suck it up, or maybe start some weight training.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #30 of 42 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 8:43 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Yep. The mud pattern on your bike is exactly what was scratched on mine, including the mirror. The Clear Bra avoided any serious damage though, and BMW paid for all the repairs and the new center stand. Love the pic of all the mud up your left side.
I think the elevation of Taos, NM near the car wash went up a couple inches when all 4 of us cleaned off our bikes and clothes.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #31 of 42 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:36 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Here's our "drop" from last July.

Now, is that mud on your BeadRider or did you get REALLY surprised when you went down??

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #32 of 42 Old Oct 17th, 2007, 9:30 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:
Are GT riders allowed to join the Droppers Anonymous club, or do I have to start my own chapter?....
Ouch! Thanks for that info, Ken. Since my bikes fall over when I just look at them, I won't be trying the center stand any time soon.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #33 of 42 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 9:03 am

Re: DA for GT?

Just wondering, does the side stand on the GT lock into place, or do you have to leave it in gear to keep it from rolling of the side stand like the LT
post #34 of 42 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 9:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coot
Just wondering, does the side stand on the GT lock into place, or do you have to leave it in gear to keep it from rolling of the side stand like the LT
No lock on the GT. When placing the bike on the side stand be sure to place it in 1st gear.

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

post #35 of 42 Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:24 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coot
No lock, but better angles means it is much more stable than the LT's stand. Still, rolling forward until first gear catches is always a good idea.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #36 of 42 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 3:12 am

My stand snapped - just the same as Ken's - on Tuesday morning.

The bike didn't go down, but I came close to doing myself a serious injury.

It has been replaced in the 18k service - picking it up today.

So - built Mid Feb 2008, registered 27 March 2008, broken stand, 12 August 2008, with just 18,000 miles up.

Someone somewhere isn't doing that welding right, and is leaving a small crack, that develops over time, and breaks.

I lost the LT stands after 36,000 miles and 1 1/2 years, not 18k and 4 months
post #37 of 42 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 9:00 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Bummer, Niall. Glad they took care of you.

BTW, my replacement center stand has now broken too, at 52K miles and has had to be replaced, again.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #38 of 42 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 1:06 pm

Quote:
BTW, my replacement center stand has now broken too, at 52K miles and has had to be replaced, again.
My centerstops stops were replaced once ... then they replaced all of the centerstand hardware the second time around. Been fine ever since.

The new owner of this GT is going to buy a great bike. Now that I've gotten all of the bugs out of it.
post #39 of 42 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 1:59 am

Hi guys I'm Brett from Kansas City!
I'm new to the BMW world, having aquired my first one just tuesday! Now let me apologize for my terrible nettiquite of bringing a "thread from the dead", but my worry is seeing my "new to me" 08k1200gt fall down after the centerstand breaks! I searched "centerstand" and came up with a couple threads, but nothing that showed anything was ever finalized. I can say I'm fairly sure that mine was one of the last batches as it wasn't even delivered till august of 08 to the first owner. It has 11000 well maintained miles if that has any bearing. Is my new baby doomed to fall, or did they figure this out?

Thanks for your help guys!
Brett
post #40 of 42 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 2:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretts1200gt
. Is my new baby doomed to fall, or did they figure this out?
:
The K1300GT stand is a different part no, and looks a lot sturdier.

My 08 GT stand was replaced with a like for like, and I suspect I have to wait for another break and then may be offered the replacement K1300GT stand

Certainly, my parts man said that the 13 stand was a replacement for the 12 - but can't confirm the veracity of this
post #41 of 42 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 10:48 pm

Thanks Niall!

I might be a sociopath, but at least I have a path!
post #42 of 42 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 2:17 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretts1200gt
Hi guys I'm Brett from Kansas City!
I'm new to the BMW world, having aquired my first one just tuesday! Now let me apologize for my terrible nettiquite of bringing a "thread from the dead", but my worry is seeing my "new to me" 08k1200gt fall down after the centerstand breaks! I searched "centerstand" and came up with a couple threads, but nothing that showed anything was ever finalized. I can say I'm fairly sure that mine was one of the last batches as it wasn't even delivered till august of 08 to the first owner. It has 11000 well maintained miles if that has any bearing. Is my new baby doomed to fall, or did they figure this out?

Thanks for your help guys!
Brett
Welcome to the asylum, Brett!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in