Heavywieght to lightwieght Sport tourer - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Sep 11th, 2007, 6:10 pm Thread Starter

Heavywieght to lightwieght Sport tourer

I presently riding a 06 K1200 GT. I bought the bike low miles 2nd hand, and came from a HD Road King; big move. At the time I figured I needed a larger displacement ride for all around riding local and longer trips. At times I'll put in a 12 hour day. This bike excells on the interstate, but a bit heavy on local runs of which I do more of. I allways ride solo, and not sure if I can get used to a sport lean forward position . I noticed there are many new choices out sa. the Ducati Multistrata,Triump Tiger, Suzuki Bandit, Honda CBR-VFR, and I'm sure there's others I haven't heard of yet. Maybey I'm best to stay where I'm at. I do occasional long trips and use a Givi top box w/ side bags on the GT, but I'm sure there are other ways to carry clothes. Dont get me wrong; The GT is a very comfortable all day runner, great performer, but not informed much comming from cruisers for so many years, and cant afford a 2nd ride or to make a jump at the wrong ergo type bike.

Please reply
Howie...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Sep 11th, 2007, 6:32 pm
Super Moderator

It probably feels much more leaned forward since you came from a HD. When I sold my UltraClassic ElectraGlide to get my first RT back in 96 I thought it was a much more sporty riding position. Then I bought an FZR1000 as a 2nd bike and never complained about ergos again. You can raise the bars on the GT, as well as to to the aftermarket for bar backs if you want to get even more upright. But the seating position on the GE is actually much more ergonomically sound and correct than any of the HD models.

As for the other models you mention, I think you would find them a large step backwards from the GT, and by the time you got one of them rigged out to meet all of your needs you'll be wondering why you sold the GT. Just give it a little time, I bet you fall in love with it.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Sep 11th, 2007, 9:39 pm

You might want to checkout the Yamaha FZ1. More relaxed ergos than the GT, with a bullet-proof powerplant.

post #4 of 18 Old Sep 14th, 2007, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

Hav'nt found a old gen. FZ1, but looks like a good choice. what I really am liking to demo is the new Triump Tiger approx. 430lbs.. Good ergo's and light weight. I sat on a Suzuki bandit, didn't feel the weight, but still as heavy as the KGT. Hard to do demo's on a non BMW/Harley bikes. I'm not shur how I'de like a more unprotected bike on longer trips on a hyway; but it might be worth the compromise as some have mentioned.

Howie...

Last edited by HowardRichman; Sep 14th, 2007 at 8:48 pm.
post #5 of 18 Old Sep 14th, 2007, 9:34 pm

I don't really understand what you are asking. Sounds like the bike is not for you. No big deal, get rid of it. Too bad you were not able to figure this out before you bought it.

BMW's are an acquired taste. Not for everyone. But, none of the bikes you mention have the safety features, design and power of the K1200GT. You will regret getting rid of it.
post #6 of 18 Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout70
I don't really understand what you are asking. Sounds like the bike is not for you. No big deal, get rid of it. Too bad you were not able to figure this out before you bought it.

BMW's are an acquired taste. Not for everyone. But, none of the bikes you mention have the safety features, design and power of the K1200GT. You will regret getting rid of it.
Well; You might be right and hope you are. The GT is a great bike and do enjoy it much, slightly heavy in tight manuvours, stop and go riding, and may want to experience a lighter more exposed ride to compare. Thanks for reply.

Howie...
post #7 of 18 Old Oct 5th, 2007, 4:09 pm

I think this is my first post here. Thought I'd chime in, bought an 07 blue GT a few months ago, in Arkansas, rode it to Taos NM, seat was HORRIBLE, but I had a blast riding the GT anyway. Missed the comfort of my HD Road Glide, but, when the temperatures dropped and the twisty roads got wet, the BMW was the bike to be on. Put a Sargent seat on the bike, rode it to Baton Rouge LA, seat was better, but still not quite right. Anyway, to make a long story short, I find this bike hard to put a lot of miles on in the saddle, however, it is so addictive!!! I have three bikes in the garage, the GT, Glide and a HD Deuce. End result, putting the,,, drum roll, Glide up for sale. Can't part with the GT. I want to roll, it is the GT. The power, sucked me right into the dark side. The HD's are just collecting dust. For day trips, 50 miles here, 50 miles there, it is the cats meow. In fact, I find myself yearning now for a 2nd BMW, maybe a K1200S.
Blackhorse
post #8 of 18 Old Oct 5th, 2007, 4:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nueboch
I think this is my first post here. Thought I'd chime in, bought an 07 blue GT a few months ago, in Arkansas, rode it to Taos NM, seat was HORRIBLE, but I had a blast riding the GT anyway. Missed the comfort of my HD Road Glide, but, when the temperatures dropped and the twisty roads got wet, the BMW was the bike to be on. Put a Sargent seat on the bike, rode it to Baton Rouge LA, seat was better, but still not quite right. Anyway, to make a long story short, I find this bike hard to put a lot of miles on in the saddle, however, it is so addictive!!! I have three bikes in the garage, the GT, Glide and a HD Deuce. End result, putting the,,, drum roll, Glide up for sale. Can't part with the GT. I want to roll, it is the GT. The power, sucked me right into the dark side. The HD's are just collecting dust. For day trips, 50 miles here, 50 miles there, it is the cats meow. In fact, I find myself yearning now for a 2nd BMW, maybe a K1200S.
Blackhorse

I had a local guy rework my seat and I can ride ALL DAY in comfort! I LOVE my GT! I can ride it all day with very little fatigue! See pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT seat birdseye.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	14608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gt Seat Side view.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	14609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gt side above view.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	14610  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 18 Old Oct 5th, 2007, 7:51 pm

That's a SEAT... I ordered a the new extended or lowered peg kit today, thought I would try that and may try a 3rd seat next spring. For the most part, I'm very happy with my GT. It truly is excellence in motion.
Blackhorse
post #10 of 18 Old Oct 5th, 2007, 10:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nueboch
Blackhorse
How heavy are you.Bodywieght plays a big part in seat comfort.I am thinking about the GT but worry about seat comfort for me and my wife,two up.
post #11 of 18 Old Oct 5th, 2007, 10:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
I had a local guy rework my seat and I can ride ALL DAY in comfort! I LOVE my GT! I can ride it all day with very little fatigue! See pics below.
Same question,How heavy are you?I am 6foot 4 and 250 lbs.Does your seat work well for tail bone comfort
post #12 of 18 Old Oct 6th, 2007, 12:21 am

New seat or not, you will still be in the sporting, leaned-forward position.

Although you mention mostly other four cylinder alternatives, you might look into the R1200GS. Ergos are upright (yet still sporting). The hex-head twin is a torquey, fast SOB that really sings over 4500 RPM. The wide bars give you great control and it leans over in the twisties with the best of 'em.

The GS does it all...from tourer...to fire road runner...to canyon carver...to around town. It may be what you seek.

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #13 of 18 Old Oct 6th, 2007, 1:48 am

Low miles

I love mine, just bought an 06 with 8700 miles the middle of July in Oregon and rode it back to Alabama. Couple of hundred miles from 16,000. It had a Rick Mayer seat on it when i bought it. I find it very easy to do 600+ mile days and would never even consider going back to my LT.

Rick
post #14 of 18 Old Oct 6th, 2007, 8:24 am
fas

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by batdriver51
I love mine, just bought an 06 with 8700 miles the middle of July in Oregon and rode it back to Alabama. Couple of hundred miles from 16,000. It had a Rick Mayer seat on it when i bought it. I find it very easy to do 600+ mile days and would never even consider going back to my LT.

Rick

+1

I agree with Rick. My GT now has new rubber and the Z Techik V Stream. I would not consider buying another LT. Way too heavy, top heavy. The GT just fits me on so many levels.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #15 of 18 Old Oct 6th, 2007, 9:06 am

Talking

5' 11" and 175, I could lose a few pounds and that's my goal. Thnking that certainly couldn't hurt and it's the best way to add horse power...I am considering trying a Rick Meyar seat next season however, my Sargent is better than the old style GT stock seat. On an aside, I have a HD Deuce with a trim little gunfighter sytle seat on it, love it, I can ride that one all day, but, my legs are straighter and I tend to lean further back, changing the seat won't change the ergos, hence, my next step will be to drop the front pegs an inch.

Last edited by Nueboch; Oct 6th, 2007 at 9:31 am.
post #16 of 18 Old Oct 6th, 2007, 12:19 pm

Talking H-D to BMW

I rode a Road King for several years and I thought that bike handled very well for a heavy machine. In 2006 I purchased a 1200RT and that bike seemed like a featherweight compared to the H-D. Recently I traded that bike for the 2007 GT and I am finding the GT to be much easier to maneuver at slow speeds than was the RT.

I also am finding the leaned-over ergo a little troublesome (I am almost 6'3") but I am going to give it time for my body to adapt to the bike before I try to make the bike adapt to me (the former is cheaper!) though I did purchase a CalScience windscreen (so far working out very welll!) and the Suburban peg extension kit.

The seat will eventually go but I can ride for a couple of hours without too much discomfort. Thus, hope to strike a good seat deal come winter.

Bottom line: the GT far surpasses the RT, the Road King (and other bikes I have owned) in the thrill and smile category!!

Gus
post #17 of 18 Old Oct 6th, 2007, 1:48 pm

I read about a guy, ex-military, in the Florida area I think. Who takes a seat, reworks the foam and recovers with the original seat cover. Supposed to be fabulous and a fraction of the coat of Russell or Mayer. I'll see if I can find the info.

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #18 of 18 Old Oct 6th, 2007, 7:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta-kid
Same question,How heavy are you?I am 6foot 4 and 250 lbs.Does your seat work well for tail bone comfort

I am about 5'10" tall and weigh about 180 lbs. My seat works fine for me. I have NO pain whatever even when riding all day.

The information for the guy who did mine is:

Rick Lutz
Rick's Upholstery
Mooresville, NC
704-301-0525

You can tell him that you saw my seat on the site and he'll know what you're talking about. BTW, I'm not advertising...just sharing for everyone on the site. His price is $389. to re-do both the pilot and passenger seats, reworking the foam and handstitching two new covers. Mine feels GREAT!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in