Traded the RT in on a GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Sep 9th, 2007, 7:38 am Thread Starter

Traded the RT in on a GT

As some of you may recall from the previous RT / GT thread, I had been considering the move to a GT.

Yesterday I brought home a Deep Crystal Blue 07 with ESA, heated seats, grips, cruise, tall windshield and........free GPS (big deal, I'll never use it).

Before you read further, I'd like to qualify the following by saying I do not mean to offend anyone here who owns either bike. They are both fine machines, and these the observations of a 40 y/o, motorcycle obsessed individual.

Overview:

I have mixed feelings at this point. Truthfully, the RT is much more comfortable with noticeably better wind protection. The legroom on the GT feels very cramped after 30 minutes on the bike, and even with the bars all the way up I do not like the seating position after being on the bike for more than a 1/2 hour or so. The engine is commendably smooth, but I notice my right hand goes completely numb almost immediately.

Handling:

The GT handles nicely, but I stand by my statement that the RT handles better. With the RT, all you have to do is think about leaning the bike over and it falls right into a turn. By comparison, the GT requires a more physical approach to getting into turns. Not to say the GT is not a good handling bike, because it really is. However, if I had the itch to go to Tail of the Dragon for example, the RT would be my choice.

Another point I'll make as it applies to both bikes is the benefits of ESA. Bike magazines can rave all day long about how much less a Concours, or FJR cost. However, I would be hard pressed to buy a bike without ESA again. It completely changes the handling dynamics of the bike, and adds great value to the riding experience.

Engine:

So far all my driving has been limited to 4,500 rpms. Obviously, the GT has more power, but I really cannot complain about the RT's power. It has that great boxer torque, and was just fine for 95% of the riding I did. I do notice some typical high frequency inline 4cyl resonance, which may be why my right hand goes numb. The boxers vibration is completely different and is low frequency "pulsing". The more bikes I own the more I tend to gravitate towards really nice twins like the boxer.

I notice some annoying driveline lash, and the throttle is a tad abrupt. I never noticed these issues on the RT, and it was an easier bike to be smooth on, at least initially.

Ergonomics:

I really hope I can add some significant comfort to the GT. The way it is now, I would not dream of anything more than a relatively modest day trip. To anyone with an RT thinking of going to a GT, realize that this is not a touring bike in stock form. Be prepared to spend time and money making changes to the GT's ergonomics, and accept the possibility that it may never meet your expectations in that department.

So in summary I'm a little dissapointed, but will reserve final judgement after I have added a better seat and worked on the ergo's. I am not too distraught, and if the GT does not grow on me, I will just go back to an RT sometime next year, but I do ant to give it time. The GT was just an itch I had to scratch since I have an affinity for horsepower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Sep 9th, 2007, 8:15 am

The bike takes some getting used to. You'll also be using a different muscle set. Don't assume that the bars in the high position is the right position, experiment with them and the seat height.

I believe your hand is going numb, not because of vibration, but because of seating position. You want to slightly round your lower back. Gripping with your knee's will take all pressure off.

The bike has many seating positions and I move all around them. Give it some time to adjust to you and I think you'll love it.

I've grown to love mine

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Sep 9th, 2007, 8:25 am

You summed up my experience perfectly. I had an '06 GT that I couldn't get comfortable on no matter what I did; seat, bar riser, lowered foot pegs, etc. Lots of commuting, short trips, flat land riding and twisty mountain road riding. After a road trip from SW Florida to White Pine Tennessee and back, I decided the GT was not the motorcycle for me and traded on a new RT. I sorely miss the power of the GT, but I'm a much happier rider all-around on the RT. Luckily there's enough motorcycles out there where a rider can hopefully find the one that suits their desires and/or needs, be it RT or GT or ???

Mike
'07 RT

post #4 of 18 Old Sep 9th, 2007, 8:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
The bike takes some getting used to. You'll also be using a different muscle set. Don't assume that the bars in the high position is the right position, experiment with them and the seat height.

I believe your hand is going numb, not because of vibration, but because of seating position. You want to slightly round your lower back. Gripping with your knee's will take all pressure off.

The bike has many seating positions and I move all around them. Give it some time to adjust to you and I think you'll love it.

I've grown to love mine
Interesting, but I don't want more lean. I find it very uncomfortable craining my neck up. There is too much pressure on my hands and wrists as it is.

I've been off the bike for hours and my darn hand is still numb. I think I am calling the dealer in the morning to see if I can get my RT back. Great bike, but I just don't think the GT is for me. Definately more sport than tour, and I guess I'm just not a sport bike guy.
post #5 of 18 Old Sep 9th, 2007, 8:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng943

...free GPS (big deal, I'll never use it).

Man...I used my GPS on my LT all the time. Just loved to zoom way out and find roads that I never would have gone down before. I want one on my GT bad. My wife loved it too, because she loved to ride roads we'd never seen.

The engine is commendably smooth, but I notice my right hand goes completely numb almost immediately.

May not be engine vibration at all, but pressure.... I wrapped my grips with Wilson Cushion Pro Tennis raquet tape and it made a WORLD of difference (and I struggle BIG TIME with numbness in my right hand -- did on my LT too, until I wrapped it!).

So far all my driving has been limited to 4,500 rpms. Obviously, the GT has more power, but I really cannot complain about the RT's power.

Honestly...if you haven't taken it past 4,500rpms your GT's engine hasn't even breathed good yet horsepower wise. Mine makes good power until about 5500-6000RPM, but from there upward, it is a ROCKET! Wheelies very good!

So in summary I'm a little dissapointed, but will reserve final judgement after I have added a better seat and worked on the ergo's.
I am still adapting to mine too...but love it more each time I ride it. I did replace the seat and then, today, put it on the higher setting and that made a lot of difference too! Anyway, if you don't trade it back in, give it some time, try a few things and make it YOURS. It will GROW on 'ya, I promise!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 18 Old Sep 9th, 2007, 8:43 pm

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng943
So in summary I'm a little dissapointed, but will reserve final judgement after I have added a better seat and worked on the ergo's. I am not too distraught, and if the GT does not grow on me, I will just go back to an RT sometime next year, but I do ant to give it time. The GT was just an itch I had to scratch since I have an affinity for horsepower.

Sounds like a case of buyers remorse. There is a reason they make a wide variety of bikes.
I like my 06 GT and I would not even consider an RT. No way! But I don't have a vibration problem either.
Dr. Phil would tell you to "just get over it."
I say give it a chance, it is not a mistake that can't be undone.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #7 of 18 Old Sep 20th, 2007, 8:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Excellent point about the change in muscle use on the GT. My longtime ride, R12GS has a far more upright and relaxed riding position, so when I got on the GT for my first extended ride today (250 mi), in the beginning of the ride I noticed my right thigh began to ache (just a bit) and my right shoulder, a little too.

Having owned a K1200RS a few years ago I quickly reminded myself of using more stomach and lower back muscle as well employing the knees to squeeze the tank somewhat. Nothing extreme mind you but just a little made a big difference and before long any mild ache disappeared.

I think we all get very used to our current rides and riding a new bike with entirely different ergo's and purpose will necessitate adjustment by the rider to the bike to fully appreciate the machine. Of course if you have physical issues (bad knees, back, etc...), the GT prolly ain't for you!

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #8 of 18 Old Sep 20th, 2007, 9:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBMW
Of course if you have physical issues (bad knees, back, etc...), the GT prolly ain't for you!
I took out some ribs in a get off awhile back and when the LT was fixed, the second tank of gas on was excrutiatingly painful in the mid back where the ribs had connected. Just sitting the GT gave me that, "aaaaah" feeling and I can ride it tank to tank to tank to tank. But.... it did take a leetle getting used to.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 18 Old Sep 20th, 2007, 11:50 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Yeah, but you're a particularly twisted individual Grif, so probably not the best general example.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 18 Old Sep 21st, 2007, 8:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Yeah, but you're a particularly twisted individual Grif, so probably not the best general example.
Well, yeah, there is that.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 18 Old Sep 21st, 2007, 9:03 am

I too had issues with the ergonomics of the '07 GT I purchased in May. I immediately ordered the Suburban Lowering pegs and a Corbin seat. The handlebars came raised to the highest point when I took possession of the bike and my wrist and forearm went numb on the way home (2 1/2 hr trip). I continued "Putting up with the problem" until recently I took the suggestion of a few of the members here and lowered the bars. Now my wrist doesn't go numb but my broken collar bone (that never re-connected itself after healing) seems to be affected. I have to readjust my seating position (and again a suggestion from members here) use my knees and lower back to relieve some of the pressure.

I took a trip earlier this year to Colorado and up to Sturgis and back home (4200 miles) and noticed that I all but forgot about any seating pain aside from the normal uncomfortable ache after 500-600 mile day and the leg position, even though I was wanting to have some sort of choice to reposition, was tolerable.

This bike takes some "getting used to". After all it is a "Sport Touring" bike and I suggest that you give it a chance to grow into. Or not...I for one am unable to give up the power and the rush from being able to "Turn it on" at will. I also have a '02 RT setting in the garage that I am selling because I just don't ride it any longer.

Hope you give this bike a chance, I don't think you'll regret doing so.

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

post #12 of 18 Old Sep 30th, 2007, 4:30 pm

I think many of you stated it well. Decide in advance (if possible before $$ outlay) what priorities are highest and which model bests aligns with those. Coming off an FJR, there was no question whether to consider a KGT with my need for better seating and handlebar position (than an FJR) in combo with electronic cruise to deal with my throttle hand arthritis. For my personal priorities, I'm convinced I chose well. Yesterday I joined a group of FJR owners for a romp through mountain twisties and the pace was brisk. My RT certainly did not have the torgue and anytime grunt of those FJRs and I shifted a lot to keep it in the powerband. I found the RT's combo of ergos, cornering clearance and flickable handling allowed me easily able to keep up with those ahead (passing seems like playing "ricky racer"). Not bad at all for a BMW touring bike! Yeah, but I was riding all the while with visor up and sounds of Marc Anthony tunes filling the air!

Jeff

Oday ouyay eakspay igpay atinlay?

2014 R1200RT - full zoot

Last edited by Effjay; Sep 30th, 2007 at 5:15 pm.
post #13 of 18 Old Sep 30th, 2007, 5:40 pm

I own a 2004 RT and a 2007 GT. I know what you mean about the riding position of the GT. I had a 2007 GS Adventure that I rode to Colorado. Although comfortable around town and within the state, I found that after a long day my back was a bit sore and I hurt between the shoulder blades. This became annoying. Traded it in Denver for the GT. Problem eliminated!! BMW engineers put a lot of work and design into the riding position of the GT. Give the bike time and you will find that the ergonimics will work.

I love the RT, but, one gets spoiled with the GT power, ESA, and design. For two up riding and bags loaded, the extra GT power makes a big difference when out on the open road passing vehicles or going up hills.
post #14 of 18 Old Oct 1st, 2007, 1:13 pm

Riding position of the GT..... I too am not totally happy with my '07 GT. I bought mine in May and rode it from Texas to Kentucky. My butt hurt so bad that I got hemmroids from the ride. The seat is the worst I HAVE EVER SAT on. I am only in my early 30's and had no idea what Hemmroids were!!!!! Than the GT and that sad excuse of a seat came along!!
I just received my Bill Mayer custom seat today! HUGE disappointment. In the high position it is worse that the original seat. In the low position it is tolerable, but not worth $700+ bucks!! My rear slides towards the tank.
If I have to squeeze my knees against the tank.. blah... blah... blah.... to ride to the bike... No thanks! It's not the bike for me. I put 60k miles on my '98 K12RS with a Corbin seat and never even thought about the seat or my rear ever!

It seems everyone who has sat on the new revised GT seat seems to like it. Do you guys think that is a viable option for my seating issues? Love the machine.... HATE THE SEAT! It's like having a great pair of boots that you love, but they give you blisters.

Killing me.... Anybody have a need for a Bill Mayer custom saddle? Leather, Heated, Driver & Passenger? Save hundreds...
post #15 of 18 Old Oct 1st, 2007, 2:19 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Bud,

I'd say give Bill Mayer Saddles one more try. They'll rework the seat for you at no charge, but it helps to be as specific as possible with your complaints.

If that doesn't work, then you can look at other options.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 18 Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 2:42 pm

SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effjay
<snip> Yesterday I joined a group of FJR owners for a romp through mountain twisties and the pace was brisk. My RT certainly did not have the torque and anytime grunt of those FJRs and I shifted a lot to keep it in the powerband. I found the RT's combo of ergos, cornering clearance and flickable handling allowed me easily able to keep up with those ahead (passing seems like playing "ricky racer"). Not bad at all for a BMW touring bike! Yeah, but I was riding all the while with visor up and sounds of Marc Anthony tunes filling the air!
Check out this vid of Saturday's FJR ride. Naturally, BMWs were a minority with only my RT and an older K100RS sporting roundels...
FJR ride

Jeff

Oday ouyay eakspay igpay atinlay?

2014 R1200RT - full zoot
post #17 of 18 Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 4:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNASH88
Riding position of the GT..... I too am not totally happy with my '07 GT.

My rear slides towards the tank.

If I have to squeeze my knees against the tank.. blah... blah... blah.... to ride to the bike... No thanks! It's not the bike for me.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I got the Corbin seat and despite having an "uphill" slope towards the tank, when wearing my textile riding pants I still was sliding forward while braking or just when heading downhill (and there's lots of those out here in Colorado!).

Now, for the colder weather I just bought the BMW Atlantis 3 Pro leather jacket and pants (on sale). They're made of a waterproof suede-leather material and there was very little sliding on the saddle. As a matter of fact, I stuck like glue.

If you are wearing textile riding pants and the Mayer has a glossy leather surface, that could be your problem.

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #18 of 18 Old Oct 19th, 2007, 5:15 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNASH88
....Anybody have a need for a Bill Mayer custom saddle? Leather, Heated, Driver & Passenger? Save hundreds.
Yes, I'm interested! Will "ping" you.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in