Any K1200GT final drive failures - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 4:00 pm Thread Starter

Any K1200GT final drive failures

Evidently some RT's have recently had some final drive failures. Have GT's been experiencing any FD failure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 4:02 pm

Only one that we're aware of and it wasn't flushed at the 600 mile service.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 4:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Only one that we're aware of and it wasn't flushed at the 600 mile service.
What a JACKASS!!!

post #4 of 33 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 5:50 pm

That's asshat to you, mister!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 33 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
What a JACKASS!!!

Yea, I know...I can't believe he didn't change it and THEN took off on some "Epic Ride" across the US!!!!

Oh...I'm sorry, he meant YOU didn't he Joe?!!!!!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 33 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 6:37 pm Thread Starter

Here's the other question. Do the GT and RT share the same FD componants?
post #7 of 33 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 7:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Yea, I know...I can't believe he didn't change it and THEN took off on some "Epic Ride" across the US!!!!

Speaking of changing it and riding off, I ordered some 65% moly paste. 27 bones!! Good grief, and here I thought dielectric grease was expensive. This stuff better taste good.

I'm gonna change mine again. Oil (egads, not an oil thread!) breaks down and shears. This lifetime thang just don't cut with this homey.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 33 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 7:14 pm

For this thread's sake...
To answer this question to the fullest of my ability, Yes, there have been a few GT's that have had failed rear drives. I'm the "jackass" that listened to BMW when they said that their '06 redesigned (sealed) drive was a lifetime, maintenance-free unit. Then they later released a service bulletin stating that the fluid should be changed at 600 miles. I think I was already passed the 6K mark at that point, so I just said "Screw it!" and I took my chances. At just under 19K, she let go in Lovelock, NV. (A lovely little burg. ) Replaced under warranty the next day with a unit that was barely used (3,800 miles). It was serviced at 600 miles, and again just before installing it on my bike.

Quote:

Yessir...lil ol' me! But I don't know about this "Epic Ride" kaywrap. I just went for a little scoot. Jeez!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng943
Don't know if they're interchangeable...so to speak. All that I can tell you is that, to the best of my knowledge BMW doesn't have a model that's impervious to this problem. They all break! The LT, GT, RT, GS, S, and R models. All of them!

I've simply decided that I like my GT as a whole more than I dislike BMW's Achilles Heel. Besides . . . doesn't it make riding a BMW even more exciting?!?!
post #9 of 33 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 7:28 pm

Quote:
Speaking of changing it and riding off, I ordered some 65% moly paste. 27 bones!! Good grief, and here I thought dielectric grease was expensive. This stuff better taste good.

I'm gonna change mine again. Oil (egads, not an oil thread!) breaks down and shears. This lifetime thang just don't cut with this homey.

Hey Grif,

Rather than removing the whole final drive (a lot of work) or even lifting the front end so the oil will drain...how about using a pump to get the old oil out??? That's what I'm gonna try!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #10 of 33 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 7:49 pm Thread Starter

Glad I listened to my dealer and did the final drive oil change at the 600 mile service

Frankly, I wouldn't be too worried. If it breaks it breaks, but I was curious in case I do end up trading my RT.
post #11 of 33 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 7:55 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng943
They are similar, but mirror images of one anoher. The K-bike drives are on the left and the R-bikes are on the right.

These newer drives are failing, but so far not at a rate as high as early LTs.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #12 of 33 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 8:42 pm

Quote:
Hey Grif,

Rather than removing the whole final drive (a lot of work) or even lifting the front end so the oil will drain...how about using a pump to get the old oil out??? That's what I'm gonna try!
Getting the siphon tube in and getting all the old lube out may be a prob. It's not that hard to drop the drive, not like, let's say, replacing the clutch on an LT Bet I can do it in an hour.... the first time.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 33 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 9:04 pm

Well,

I'm gonna see if I can siphon mine. I have a friend who is bringing me some small diameter tubing. I'll let you know how it works. Might be better for changing it more often.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #14 of 33 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 9:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Yes, there have been a few GT's that have had failed rear drives. I'm the "jackass" that listened to BMW when they said that their '06 redesigned (sealed) drive was a lifetime, maintenance-free unit. Then they later released a service bulletin stating that the fluid should be changed at 600 miles. I think I was already passed the 6K mark at that point, so I just said "Screw it!"
Almost my experience exactly. Not changed at 600 because I was told it was sealed for life. Another dealer told me no need to change it at my 6000 mile service. Too late anyway as the damage probably had already started! Noticed a little play at 14000 miles. BMW replaced my final drive at 18000 because of excessive play, not a complete failure. Changed the FD oil in the new FD several weeks ago. Easy job on a GT!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #15 of 33 Old Sep 4th, 2007, 10:14 pm

Quote:
(text omitted) not like, let's say, replacing the clutch on an LT Bet I can do it in an hour.... the first time.
Since the kindly Pastor is too nice. . . and I'm not . . . You AssHat!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #16 of 33 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 7:19 am

The solution to final drive problems.

One of the first motorcycles designed and built by Glen Curtis used this system.

Simple
Few moving parts.
Now being used in all HD bikes and the new F800 series

post #17 of 33 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 7:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Since the kindly Pastor is too nice. . . and I'm not . . . You AssHat!
Well! I strongly reassemble that remark!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #18 of 33 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 7:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorChief

One of the first motorcycles designed and built by Glen Curtis used this system.

Simple
Few moving parts.
Tis a beauty thang, but the belt slips in the rain. You can eat the final drive in emergencies.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #19 of 33 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 9:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorChief

Simple
Few moving parts.
Ya, i have two budd's that have lost the rear belt, both from a rock getting into the teeth of the rear sprocket and splitting the belt.....new belt for the Vic $249.00 .....
(though i believe there are some aftermarket belts cheaper) Still down, out of service and out some time and cash....and you take your chances on gravel roads.
post #20 of 33 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 7:57 pm

Hey...I changed my rear drive oil this evening without removing the final drive or lifting the front of the bike. I used a very large syringe and small plastic tubing. Had it emptied in less than 5 mintues and the great part was that in that time I was able to pump a little back in and sucked it back out...several times and removed all crud. Very good flush! Then used the syringe to fill it to the proper level with clean new gear oil!!!

Job done right and finished in less than 45 minutes!!!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #21 of 33 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 9:43 pm

Quote:
Hey...I changed my rear drive oil this evening without removing the final drive or lifting the front of the bike. I used a very large syringe and small plastic tubing. Had it emptied in less than 5 mintues and the great part was that in that time I was able to pump a little back in and sucked it back out...several times and removed all crud. Very good flush! Then used the syringe to fill it to the proper level with clean new gear oil!!!

Job done right and finished in less than 45 minutes!!!!!
Good onya! Now that you've plowed new territory, I think I'll try to use my power bleeder.

BTW, how did the fluid look? Mileage on gear earl, etc.??

-=grif=-

Grok
post #22 of 33 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 9:47 pm

Quote:
Good onya! Now that you've plowed new territory, I think I'll try to use my power bleeder.

BTW, how did the fluid look? Mileage on gear earl, etc.??

Well, there was a grayish, metallic sheen to the oil, but it wasn't overly dirty for having about 4k on it w/o a change. The bike had the 600 mile service, but I don't believe they changed the gear oil.

I'm telling ya...the syringe worked REAL well. If you want one, let me know and I'll try to get one and the small diameter tubing and send it to you.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #23 of 33 Old Sep 7th, 2007, 7:11 am

Quote:
Well, there was a grayish, metallic sheen to the oil, but it wasn't overly dirty for having about 4k on it w/o a change. The bike had the 600 mile service, but I don't believe they changed the gear oil.

I'm telling ya...the syringe worked REAL well. If you want one, let me know and I'll try to get one and the small diameter tubing and send it to you.
I think I'll try it both ways and measure the amount of fluid. The first time, by the book (it will be at the 15k oil change) the second time using your method at 20k. Prolly won't get a real good benchmark on the look of the gear oil as we all know it gets better with mileage.

Thanks for the offer on the syringe thang, have one.... and a Mighty Vac and a Power Bleeder.

BTW, kind of overshot the 12k service and LoneStar is working WAYYYY out. I'm already at 13, my appointment is Sept. 27. Not real concerned and I'm thinking about blowing it off till the 18k. The GS-911 now talks to the GT and mine will be here in a few days!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #24 of 33 Old Sep 7th, 2007, 7:51 am

Quote:
I think I'll try it both ways and measure the amount of fluid. The first time, by the book (it will be at the 15k oil change) the second time using your method at 20k. Prolly won't get a real good benchmark on the look of the gear oil as we all know it gets better with mileage.

Thanks for the offer on the syringe thang, have one.... and a Mighty Vac and a Power Bleeder.

BTW, kind of overshot the 12k service and LoneStar is working WAYYYY out. I'm already at 13, my appointment is Sept. 27. Not real concerned and I'm thinking about blowing it off till the 18k. The GS-911 now talks to the GT and mine will be here in a few days!

Ahh..you lucky dog! What kind of oil are you going with in the Final Drive? I tried Lucas Oil Heavy Duty 80-90 weight dino - has "climbing" additives and is rated GL-5 and 6.

By the way, I was able to make sure I got all the old out, I could move the tubing around and "slurp" the bottom of the drive very clean. But, the tubing I had was very small diameter and you won't be able to get anything large in there...very tight tolerances. Just for good measure I lubed the hose up good with oil BEFORE I inserted it. Well, heck...I didn't want it to get stuck!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #25 of 33 Old Sep 7th, 2007, 9:58 am

Quote:
Ahh..you lucky dog! What kind of oil are you going with in the Final Drive?
Ahhh, very shneaky. Trying to lure me into an oil thread

-=grif=-

Grok
post #26 of 33 Old Sep 7th, 2007, 12:19 pm

Quote:
Ahhh, very shneaky. Trying to lure me into an oil thread

Nope...just wondering. Some of us have no problem with oil threads!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #27 of 33 Old Sep 7th, 2007, 2:01 pm

Quote:
Nope...just wondering. Some of us have no problem with oil threads!
Give it another 10 years and get back to me

-=grif=-

Grok
post #28 of 33 Old Sep 7th, 2007, 3:51 pm

Quote:
What kind of oil are you going with in the Final Drive? I tried Lucas Oil Heavy Duty 80-90 weight dino - has "climbing" additives and is rated GL-5 and 6.
I used BMW 75-140 Super Synthetic Gear Oil as per my local dealer's recommendation. BMW replaced my first Final Drive (lubed for life) under warranty. Thought it best to use BMW products so they have no basis to reject a warranty claim in the future.
I hope yours doesn't climb out.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
post #29 of 33 Old Sep 7th, 2007, 10:15 pm

Just for informations sake:

When I changed the Final Drive Oil using the syringe, I removed the drain plug, sucked out the fluid and then through the same drain hole, used the syringe and just filled it til it ran out.

THEN I read Dave Dragon's instructions and saw that he filled his through the speedo sensor hole and specifically said to place only 220 ml of gear oil into the unit. OH CRAP...I just filled it til it ran out of the drain hole and never even opened the speedo sensor hole.

So....back to the shop. I used the syringe and drained it again through the drain hole, measuring how much I extracted. EXACTLY 220 ml !!!!! I threw that oil away and measured out 220ml into a measuring cup...just as I finished installing the last bit of that oil, it began to come out of the drain hole. WALA!!!! No need to use the speedo sensor hole...next time, I'll just fill it til it runs out and I'm good to go!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #30 of 33 Old Sep 7th, 2007, 10:56 pm

Quote:
Just for informations sake:

When I changed the Final Drive Oil using the syringe, I removed the drain plug, sucked out the fluid and then through the same drain hole, used the syringe and just filled it til it ran out.

THEN I read Dave Dragon's instructions and saw that he filled his through the speedo sensor hole and specifically said to place only 220 ml of gear oil into the unit. OH CRAP...I just filled it til it ran out of the drain hole and never even opened the speedo sensor hole.

So....back to the shop. I used the syringe and drained it again through the drain hole, measuring how much I extracted. EXACTLY 220 ml !!!!! I threw that oil away and measured out 220ml into a measuring cup...just as I finished installing the last bit of that oil, it began to come out of the drain hole. WALA!!!! No need to use the speedo sensor hole...next time, I'll just fill it til it runs out and I'm good to go!
Awsome! Your next assignment is to adjust the valves (we'll get there)

-=grif=-

Grok
post #31 of 33 Old Sep 8th, 2007, 9:31 am

Quote:
Awsome! Your next assignment is to adjust the valves (we'll get there)

No problem... when it comes time to do it..I'll be sure to do so. BTW, to maintain my warranty, do I have to have the major services completed by a BMW shop?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #32 of 33 Old Sep 8th, 2007, 9:59 am

Quote:
No problem... when it comes time to do it..I'll be sure to do so. BTW, to maintain my warranty, do I have to have the major services completed by a BMW shop?
It's just like the LT, save your receipts from purchases and keep a log. The Magnusom-Fog Act (or whatever) covers us on that.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #33 of 33 Old Oct 24th, 2007, 1:30 pm

Unhappy GT Rear

Friend who lost his R.D. a few months ago, well it failed again a couple weeks ago. not very many miles on bike since first repair, which was not a complete rear, just parts. this time they replaced the entire rear unit...set-up at the factory...

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in