front wheel removal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 29th, 2007, 8:12 pm Thread Starter

front wheel removal

06 K1200GT
Well; I'm changing the front tire of my GT for the first time; and also have the 06 GT's shop manual CD. and have experienc ew/ previous bikes in the past. The instruction of the CD is vauge on the explanation of the process with the ABS sensor cautions. It states not to slaken or remove the left side clamping screw to avoid misalienment of the ABS sensor. Won't the left side clamping screw have to be loosened along w/ the right side clamp bolt to pull axle? Any other precautions I should be aware of sa. brake pad wear indicator or sensor removal?
Thanks;
Howie...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 29th, 2007, 8:39 pm

Howie-
It really is a piece of cake.
You are facing the front headlight for the left/right orintation looking @ the bike.
Remove both calipers/and hang them out of the way. Wiggle them as your taking them off to spread the pads apart for re-install.
Careful getting past the rims not to sratch them.
Loosen the "pinch" bolt on the left side only !!!
Don't touch the right side. You are only going to loosen the side opposite the sensor.
Using a 22mm hex ,you unscrew the axle and remove it out the left side while supporting the wheel.
You should be good to go.
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 29th, 2007, 9:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogt
Using a 22mm hex ,you unscrew the axle and remove it out the left side while supporting the wheel.
You can also use the backside of the large spark plug socket. It fits right in there like it's made for it.

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 30th, 2007, 4:18 pm

Quote:
Howie-
It really is a piece of cake.
You are facing the front headlight for the left/right orintation looking @ the bike.
Remove both calipers/and hang them out of the way. Wiggle them as your taking them off to spread the pads apart for re-install.
Careful getting past the rims not to sratch them.
Loosen the "pinch" bolt on the left side only !!!
Don't touch the right side. You are only going to loosen the side opposite the sensor.
You should be good to go.
Remove the fender, its four screws and just makes it a bit easier....
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 31st, 2007, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

front tire remove / install

Well; today I used my No-Mar tire changer for the 1st time. I'm using the revised Bridgestones 021's.The front tire went on w/o too much difficulty; but the rear tire change of my GT was the hardest tire change I;ve ever done in 10 years (too much stretching). I measured tire and was aperfect match from old. Maybey I'm used to the changing the more looser fit tires of my previous Harley. Extremely stuborn tire to remove and install. It fought me every step, and was difficult to keep the rim balance to the dot on the new tire. After I finished and put on balancer; I noticed the rim is out of round an 1/8"(wave). It could be the No-mar balancers cone mounting, and may look good when I mount it. If not I highly dout just putting the tire on the rim could cause this. It might have been there all along and not noticed it, if it's there; Is it a warentee issue that BMW will replace? They cant say I caused it by accident if rim is not dented or looked damaged. But then again...
Howie...

Last edited by HowardRichman; Aug 31st, 2007 at 10:38 pm.
post #6 of 7 Old Sep 1st, 2007, 6:37 am

Which model did you buy?
I am looking at one of theirs also, seems to be pretty well built.
I'm too far from the dealer to have to run there when I need tires.
Lately, that's been frequently, not sure why.
Wild horses or something like that.

Nothing like starting to do your own work, statrting with the tires, next thing
Howie, you'll be a farkling fool !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRichman
Well; today I used my No-Mar tire changer for the 1st time. I'm using the revised Bridgestones 021's.The front tire went on w/o too much difficulty; but the rear tire change of my GT was the hardest tire change I;ve ever done in 10 years (too much stretching). I measured tire and was aperfect match from old. Maybey I'm used to the changing the more looser fit tires of my previous Harley. Extremely stuborn tire to remove and install. It fought me every step, and was difficult to keep the rim balance to the dot on the new tire. After I finished and put on balancer; I noticed the rim is out of round an 1/8"(wave). It could be the No-mar balancers cone mounting, and may look good when I mount it. If not I highly dout just putting the tire on the rim could cause this. It might have been there all along and not noticed it, if it's there; Is it a warentee issue that BMW will replace? They cant say I caused it by accident if rim is not dented or looked damaged. But then again...
Howie...
post #7 of 7 Old Sep 1st, 2007, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Which model did you buy?
I am looking at one of theirs also, seems to be pretty well built.
I'm too far from the dealer to have to run there when I need tires.
Lately, that's been frequently, not sure why.
Wild horses or something like that.

Nothing like starting to do your own work, statrting with the tires, next thing
Howie, you'll be a farkling fool !

Well; Update to the problem I had yesterday; the No-Mar tire balancer will decieve the eye as to the tru-ness of your rim, probally by the way the mounting cups hold the rim on the threaded rod, but when mounted to the hub, the wobble wasn't there. I dont believe it affects the static balancing of the tire.
Howie...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in